• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

4E Dungeons&Dragons With Noctis

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
Yeah, my character is young and inexperienced, especially since he comes from a foreign land. And it really makes a lot of sense for my character to be inexperienced, as I myself am inexperienced at D&D, what with this being my first session and all.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Yep!

LETS ROLL FOR INITIATIVE FUCKERS

which for reference is basically rolling a d20 and adding your initiative bonus which should be on your front page of the character sheet

Last edited:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
It's better for Midnight to explain, but basically we roll initiative and the DM rolls for enemy initiative. The turn order starts from highest score to lowest. There are exceptions to this order (eg. surprise rounds) but they need more specific explanations (and particular exceptions are often up to the DM to determine) which I don't think I'm qualified enough to answer. :monster:

Generally during your turn you can make -
One move action where you move your character, :monster:
One standard action eg. where you make an attack
One minor action eg. where you apply some sort of utility or bonus (or for some characters, an extra attack or lasting effect)
And others (like free actions which you can make as many as you like, I think?)
Generally in any order you wish.

There's a huge variety of what any of these actions can be, and there are lots and lots of exceptions to the rule (eg. Interrupts, Immediate) depending on player's characters. You don't need to do all of them in your turn and there will be times where actions made during an encounter aren't necessarily on your sheet (like talking to an enemy, making a skill check which I believe requires a minor).
For example, I believe you can convert your move action into another minor action, and stored Action Points can grant an additional standard action in a turn.

But tl;dr the best way to learn how to battle is to do battle and let the DM explain stuff along the way, learning what constitutes standards, minors, moves, and what modifies them. :monster:
The new character builder sheet is particularly intuitive in this regard and calculates most modifiers for you - all you mostly have to do is roll dice, and learn how it is affected and how it affects other things on the board. Also, I haven't covered terms like At-Wills, Utilities and Dailies, because there's enough material here to wrap your head around for now, I think. =P

Btw do we have a grid or representation?

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
And my favorite theme from MGS now has a new meaning...
[COLOR=stuff.]
Initiative Roll
Roll(1d20)+4:
4,+4
Total:8
[/COLOR]

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Okay time to learn by doing!

Initiative Roll
Roll(1d20)+2:
14+2
Total:16

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Initiative Roll
Roll(1d20)+3:
18,+3
Total:21

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I'm just looking at all my battle moves and just totally happy with the setup. I too am wondering how this is going to work if we can't all see a grid.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
You've got a Shade, Half-Orc and a Renevant who would like to stop getting prepared for the encounter and get on with it.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
^^Wait... how did you get a +16 initiative modifier??? 'Cause I have more DEX then you do and my modifier is only +4...

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
whoops. Sorry, I'm new to this. I fixed it.
So what's next?

Don't worry about it. Thats a pretty tame mistake compared to the crap I did when I first started.

Anyway, whats next is I'll roll initiative for all of the enemies, list what order everyone will take their turn in, and then we go from there.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
YOURS IS THE D20 THAT SHALL PIERCE THE HEAVENS

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Alright gents, the order for this encounter is as follows.

Robert Baratheon

Kobold

A Gentlemen

Kobold

Vaan

Kobold

Kobold

Obsidian Fire

Kobold

Kobold

Kobold

Kobold