Advent children Jap Version and English Dub

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
You know, I was thinking, Phil LaMarr would have been absolutely perfect to voice Sephiroth. He has that dangerous yet sultry quality to his voice, perfect for the silver-haired one. Newbern didn't breath much character into Sephiroth at all.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Phil LaMarr...? The VA who did Reddas? And Samurai Jack?

No...That is not a suiting voice for Sephiroth.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Was he Vamp in MGS2?

If a little bit less vampire-y, I think it could work. I don't remember his Reddas voice, and haven't seen Samurai Jack (or at least one where anyone seems to be speaking).

Edit: vB needs that 'someone else has posted before you finished' thing :monster:

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
That's the only thing I miss from the Simple Machines forum. Loved that feature. Oh well :monster:

I dunno. Just not feelin' Phil Lamar.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Yeah, I recognize him in that one.

I dunno, I like his voice but I can't see him fitting Sephiroth at all. Just would rub me wrong.

If there was anyone I could accept as Sephiroth, it'd be the guy who does the dub voice for Naraku in Inuyasha. Can't be arsed to think of his name.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I did. :monster:

I also find it funny how pretty much all of FFX's main cast is in Animatrix minus Lulu's voice. Then again, they did have the same voice and casting director.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
What's more ironic is that the guy Phil LaMarr voiced in the Animatrix is voiced by Toshiyuki Morikawa in the JP version. :monster:

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios
I'm sure I missed this somewhere, but question:

If I order the Japenese Blu-Ray of ACC, will it have english subtitles and the english voice track? I assume all the menus and such will be in Japanese?

Will the N. America Blu-Ray have the FFXIII demo as well? In English?

Never ordered any games or movies from Japan so I'm not sure.

Thanks.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
It'll have English audio, but not subtitles. The menu probably will be Japanese.

They announced the US version, but never mentioned anything about the demo (AFAIK).

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
That's the one reason I'm deterred from ordering ACC, because of the lack of English subtitles. It stands to reason it wasn't going to have any.

Let's hope the subs for the US ver are actually accurate and not dubtitled again. >__<

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Were the English subs even dubtitled? They seemed just random sometimes.

"Avatars don't get the memo."

:monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Come to think of it I don't think I ever watched in Japanese on my English copy. I always just used the downloaded Japanese one I had, lol. Although, those subtitles didn't make a whole lot of sense very often either. What I assume the avatars don't get memos thing is from never made sense in ANY subtitle I saw. The actual dub was the only time I saw that scene make any sense in English.

Is it that awkwardly translated from Japanese? Is it some kind of Japanese adage or something? "What, the peons aren't trusted?" did at least explain why Reno got angry.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
That was the line from the start of the Kadaj vs. Cloud fight, after Kadaj says that Jenova will tell him what to do. Going from memory:

JPN: &#24605;&#24565;&#20307;&#12399;&#20309;&#12418;&#30693;&#12425;&#12394;&#12356;&#12289;&#12363; [So remnants don't know anything, then]
ENG: I guess a remnant doesn't know anything (?).
SUB: Memos :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
oh oh oh, yeah the dub was "I guess a remnant wouldn't really know"

I thought it was from the Reno and Rude/Yazoo and Loz discussion when Yazoo pisses Reno off and no subtitles could make sense of it.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I had to check that one now :monster:

JPN: &#12394;&#12435;&#12384;&#12289;&#20449;&#29992;&#12476;&#12525;&#12384;&#12394; [What, so they have zero trust (in you)]
ENG: What, the peons aren't trusted?
SUB: As if anyone would trust you.

The subs seem fine there. With that other one, it seemed like they were trying to be funny where it wasn't really needed.

Ryusuke

Lv. 25 Adventurer
1. Out of the original Jap version and English Dub which do you prefer?
Neither. The Japanese version is generic and predictable. The English version felt like it was on restraints (i.e. lip sync). But, chances are I will side with the English version if it improves in someway. Though, I think it was trying to make some sort of illusion to a live action movie or something. Doesn't help when the lip sync comes flying off.

2. Are there any Voices that you were unsatisfied with (either Jap or English Dub)?
Takahiro Sakurai came off as one-sided as Cloud. Too stoic. I couldn't tell whether Cloud reconciled with himself in the ending, without the sappy music or visual aid around. I like Sakurai in his other works. But, his Cloud is just boring, too restrained, save for a few yells and stuff. Mena Suvari in the English version was pretty flat, too.

The rest of the voices, I'm fine with. Steve Burton, George Newbern, Andrea Bowen, Rachael Leigh Cook, Benjamin Bryan and Rick Gomez, especially. Kadaj's and Rufus' Japanese voice actors, as well. Though, the former's actor does a good job, too.

There. I said it. >_>

Last edited:
Top Bottom