Advent children Jap Version and English Dub

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I like both on the whole, but both versions have voices I don't like. Japanese dubs are always lauded as completely flawless which I think is BS, how can you really know unless you speak the language?

I generally watch the English because I prefer not to read subtitles when I don't have to. But I don't like the obvious Aeris, I'm not crazy about Yazoo. And I didn't like Red XIII's voice, even if was for one line.
But in Japanese, I don't like Tifa's voice at all, nor Zack's. And Cloud...while the acting is really perfect, the voice still just doesn't fit him for me. I dunno what it is, not quite deep enough or something. But as I said, its more than made up for in the acting.

Everyone else I liked in both versions.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
EDIT:

Fuck it. Not starting this stupidity again.

Mitch Connor

Its All Good Enough
AKA
Blazing782
[quote author=jamesjuhn link=topic=497.msg16652#msg16652 date=1234299511]

- Cloud's reaction of saying "Sephiroth, what do you want" having no feeling in it - in Jap version Sakurai put it nicely having voice tone of fear in it, Burton just seemed to have dubbed it as if Cloud feels just annoyed with Sephiroth.
[/quote]

I feel the exact same way about that very same line in the English Dub. I liked the fact that Cloud was so visibly shaken by Sephiroth's sudden appearance that you could even hear the fear in his voice. The English Dub kind of killed that moment for me... I didn't notice how much the fear in his voice added to the scene until it was gone

Bonaventura

Carpe Diem
AKA
G's Apple
I usually like the one I watch first. The Jap was the one I watched, so watching it in English felt a bit weird. When I'm used to one, the other kinda cringes past me :P

wayfarer

ACF Refugee
AKA
Fenrir/Cerberus
Awesome Voices:
Vincent, Yuffie (I guess...), Tifa, All the turks and Rufus, all the SHM, All I heard from Barret is like "Yo" and "how's marlene" and "shit" but all things considered he was good, and the kids

Okay voices:
Cloud, Sephiroth was a little dry (imrpoved in CC), Red XIII had one fucking line!!!, Cid was okay but his accent felt pushed in DoC

Horrible:
Although Aerith's voice in itself wasn't bad, Mena Suvari's acting was just dull. In kingdom hearts II she was worse. Crisis Core was an improvement, but i still think Mandy Moore was the best Aerith.

Cait Sith's voice was a total WTF moment

Restless

That One Person
AKA
WAW
[quote author=Fenrir/Cerberus link=topic=497.msg18522#msg18522 date=1234753335]
Cait Sith's voice was a total WTF moment
[/quote]

I know, right? Like, something is wrong when I can't understand what the character is saying without subtitles...And he's speaking English. I could understand a few lines, but most of it was this continuous wail or gibberish with a Scottish accent. Although, what he's actually saying is strange, too. But...I guess his voice does go along well enough with his character.

Dilley dally shilly shalley basically killed any hope I had for the dub.

Too bad too because Cloud's voice was awesome. It sucks that he got overshadowed by ones that sucked.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Cait Sith's voice was Scottish because a cait sith (cait sidhe, technically) is a demon from Scotch-Irish mythology. I thought it was cool that the english version paid attention to the meaning behind a character for a change.

The voice was annoying, but Cait Sith has always been annoying, so it made perfect sense to me.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
I can understand why Cait Sith has the accent, but he's annoying enough without it! I would have liked to have someone like Rob Paulsen voice him instead.

Restless

That One Person
AKA
WAW
Oh, I don't mind his accent. I thought it was cool, considering his name, too. I was just noting that I could hear his Scottish accent, even when I couldn't understand what he was saying.

Mariketsu

I Am the Darkness, I'm the Monster
AKA
Razael
I have to agree with Mako, though I prefer english dubs, I appreciate both versions. I really did enjoy AC in english but after CC and DoC came out, it did sound a tad mediocre with comparison. Still, I liked the english voices for AC. I think Nanaki was the only one who rather bugged me. His voice sounded a tad old, even for one line. It just didnt match right. Also, Marlene's voice was very cute but she sounded a tad too old for her age. I LOVE Steve Burton for Cloud and also George Newbern for Sephy! I did like Mena Suvari's portrayal of Aerith (let's face it I'm kind of easy to impress XD) but I do admit, she did sound a bit airy at times. They heavily improved in CC and I have good hope that ACC will be pretty awesome. I have watched AC in japanese with subs before as I usually do at times with anime. I also think that sometimes it can be hard to exhibit the same type of emotion from the original japanese to english, especially depending on the VA for the respective character. Still, I do believe alot of them do try hard, and sometimes dont get it right, especially if it's their first time acting with voice. All in all, I enjoyed AC, both english and japanese (and I must say I dont really focus on Japanese actors or actresses but Toshiyuki Morikawa really grabbed me as Sephy X3.) That's me for ya.

+ Angel-Winged Demon +

mlazor

Rookie Adventurer
For me both versions are great and both have thier moments.
In terms of quality, as someone else here posted, the japanese voices
are golden. The english dub may not present that solid acting as the japanese
but with a few exceptions (CID and Caith Sith) I thought it was decent.
Also with movies like Advent Children blasting that great amount of CG
eyecandy, I rather not get distracted with subs and catch every visual
detail instead.

DillyDally

盈盈一水间 脉&
Japanese version definitely.
There are so many famous VAs.
The only one I'm not so satisfied is Aerith's VA, her voice is a little sacchrine, which does not suit my imagination.

and English dubs...I'm sorry. It's not my type at all. :(

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
[quote author=ForceStealer link=topic=497.msg18594#msg18594 date=1234780307]
Cait Sith's voice was Scottish because a cait sith (cait sidhe, technically) is a demon from Scotch-Irish mythology. I thought it was cool that the english version paid attention to the meaning behind a character for a change.

The voice was annoying, but Cait Sith has always been annoying, so it made perfect sense to me.
[/quote]
That's not the only reason he has the accent. In the Japanese versions he speaks in the Kansai-ben dialect. It's sort of a country/hick dialect and is markedly different from Tokyo-ben. It's almost always dubbed into a different English dialect, usually as a Southern or a New York accent.

So, yeah, he's got a weird accent in the Japanese version to.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I sure hope Nanaki opens his mouth more and talks. I'd like to hear his accent and stuff. :monster:

Hmm. I actually liked both versions.

Of course, I'd probably choose the Jap version over the english one since it was the first I heard, and I actually got used to it.

But I didn't find any butchering in the english version too. I loved Cloud's voice and Sephiroth's comes in second. I thought Tifa's voice was nice too, so as Denzel's and Aerith's. I was never really bothered anyone, except there were voices which I thought were just mediocre. Barret's for example, and Marlene's (I thought her "energy" in the beginning sounded kind of.."hard")

Anyway, all in all. The voices were able to keep up with the splendid graphics. :monster:

VivaLaValenwind

Moogle Hunter
AKA
VictoriaValentine, SirYab
I pretty much never like english dubs but i'll just say that Cloud and Sephiroth's voices were decent. Now Aerith...I seriously think they need to hire voice actors for being good at voice acting instead of finding some person on the street and going "HEY wanna be a voice in a movie?!" She sounded stoned half the time. Kadaj just sounded like a geek who plays online RPGs 24/7 (no offense to any of you who do) All in all they should have done lip syncing because the movie looked like it was those 1960's kungfu movies where the words never matched their mouths. Oh yes and i must mention that Cid should never have a hick accent.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
All in all they should have done lip syncing because the movie looked like it was those 1960's kungfu movies where the words never matched their mouths.

I'll never get why you people are so obsessed with lip movements.

wayfarer

ACF Refugee
AKA
Fenrir/Cerberus
was anybody else pissed off by the lip-synching in DoC? The synch was HORRID. Rarely did the dialogue match up with the lips. Sure, DoC had really good voice acting. But the synch is part of the Voice Acting.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
[quote author=Masamune link=topic=497.msg30794#msg30794 date=1237141129]
DoC had "really good voice acting"?
[/quote]

Agreed. ::)

:(

Just 'cause I got used to the voices doesn't mean I:

1) don't cringe, still

and

2) think that SE could have chosen better.

Sorry - Steven Blum is not what I was thinking when I thought of Vincent Valentine.

I may love him from other anime/cartoons, but - he's not what I thought of for Vincent.

As for the man who did Hojo's voice, it's a worse conundrum for me.

I forget the actor's name, but I looked him up (when I did know it) and he did Perceptor from the G1 version of the Transformers! :o

In this, he is a (not really a) god. Bow to the mighty master of voice! He is the life and spirit of Perceptor! (If you don't know Perceptor, he transformed into the microscope; was a scientist for the Autobots.)

But, as much as he does a great crazy man - I can't stand that voice...!!! :(

~ But Fenrir, I will respect your opinion...

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Hojo is voiced by Paul Eiding/Colonel Campbell from MGS.

I don't think Hojo's voice was bad per se, but DoC made the character so OTT he was always cackling and screeching like an idiot.

I think Paul Eiding would have been put to better use as Cid, not Hojo. Better than that damn hick voice, that's for sure. >___<

VivaLaValenwind

Moogle Hunter
AKA
VictoriaValentine, SirYab
[quote author=Masamune link=topic=497.msg30826#msg30826 date=1237148939]
Hojo is voiced by Paul Eiding/Colonel Campbell from MGS.

I don't think Hojo's voice was bad per se, but DoC made the character so OTT he was always cackling and screeching like an idiot.

I think Paul Eiding would have been put to better use as Cid, not Hojo. Better than that damn hick voice, that's for sure. >___<
[/quote]

Well of Cid doesn't sound like a f-ing cowboy than i say they should go for it! And yes DoC had bad voice acting and lip sync also :)

Top Bottom