Advent children Jap Version and English Dub

Midnyte92

Mage-Like Girl
AKA
Air
Okay, I like both English and Japanese versions of the film, although I do think that the English version could put on a little more emotion in the voice work because I found it a little bit dull, as for the lip sync I will be able to forgive that for any Dubbed film or programme. :mudkip:

Smaddy

Green Mage
Ok so I'm so, so late as always.

I just watched the Japanese voice with English subtitles of AC. My first thing was, does anyone know why they have one script for the English voice track and then another slightly different English script for the subtitles of the Japanese version?

I'm 60/40 on the changes that were made. I actually prefer the English subtitles with the Japanese voice track. There were a few changes made when they translated it that I liked.

It seems like whenever Square translates to English, they try to add in "cute" or "funny" twists to the lines when they shouldn't. The Turks were probably the biggest offenders of this in AC.

As far as English voices vs Japanese voices...
AC:
Tifa's Japanese voice is better, has more appropriate emotions. She sounded weird in several places- definitely agreed on the church scene, and I hate when she calls Cloud at Healen and says, "Be careful, okay?". She sounds so bored.

Rude, Reno, and Kadaj's Japanese voices are also better.

I'd say Cloud, Cid, and Barret are about equal.

Vincent's Japanese voice is worse. The voice actor went TOO cold and emotionless. It was kind of like he just straight read from the script, and that was it. I prefer Blum's representation- it's cold, but you get a sense of warmth behind the words. However, I like the English subtitles of Vincent and Cloud's conversation in the Lost City. I think those words work better.

ACC:
I've seen some... I might need to just re-watch it again because now I feel like they went in and changed and added in all this stuff, and now it's more confusing. I like the new voice for Marlene.

Did not like the Denzel flashback. Why on Earth does Tifa ask the strange person on the phone, "are you crying?". That's just un-natural.

kenobi

boosh
AKA
RANDYYYYYY
I just gotta.

1. Out of the original Jap version and English Dub which do you prefer?

Japanese version by far. While I have to admit there were some (although very little) good voice actors in the English version (Reeve, Vincent, Reno, Rude), the overall quality of casting was just a complete and utter mess.

I have very little qualms with the Japanese version because they are pros at this kind of thing and I've always been a fan of many of the VAs they picked beforehand.

2. Are there any Voices that you were unsatisfied with (either Jap or English Dub)?

It makes my skin crawl to hear Cloud's Englisu voice, Sephiroth and Tifa, and those are pretty much the main characters, no? The 3 Remnants didn't do all that good of a job either. -tear- Needless to say, I didn't force myself to sit through their performances more than once.

loverofCloud

Pro Adventurer
AKA
DarkTifa
i don't dislike english dub.. after all Cloud never shows his emotion so the fact that he looks emotionless may be good lol,plus i'm italian and maybe i don't notice some errors.. anyway i admit the japanese dub is a little better :D

Vendel

Banned
The only English voice that really bothers me is Aerith's. The last scene in the church is alright. But everything she says before that just seems....flat.

Top Bottom