Assassin's Creed (series)

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I'm halfway into sequence 3 of Rogue and I'm loving it. This game really needs to be brought to the PS4. It looks so pretty and Shay is a likeable protagonist. My only nitpick is the present story, where you're constantly referred to as "numbskull".

I'd give it 7.5/10 so far.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Finished Rogue and I'll be writing up a review of it on Gamerspective this weekend. :monster:

I'd give it 8/10. Great story, great protagonist and makes you actually question the Assassins for once (well, if it hasn't already - did so in my case). Instead of having Shay be a cold killer, he actually pities his former friends and doesn't really want to murder them in cold blood. But it's the fact he HAS to, due to them not giving a shit about destroying Lisbon (or at least from what we see).

The present story wasn't really important, still didn't like how the girl who worked with you took every opportunity to call you numbskull. In fact, I feel inclined to replay it and see how many times I can count her saying it. Obviously at the end, it's all revealed everyone's a Templar at Abstergo. Still kind of freaked me out a bit when there was the choice of taking the ring or death with one of them holding a gun.

Guess the saying "join or die" is literal here.

My biggest nitpick is how short the story is. A typical AC game is 13 sequences long, whereas this only has 6. It's not to put a big downer on it though, as it's highly enjoyable and not the Black Flag clone I expected it to be. The overall size of the world is at least three times bigger than its predecessor and I loved seeing old characters (Haytham Kenway, Achilles, Adewale).

Need to play Unity now, but I'll definitely go back for the exploration. It's a beautiful game.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
It's crazy how opposite kotaku's and gametrailers' reviews of Unity and Rogue were. I can only assume the two reviewers look for very different things in their AC games.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
I tried this at EGX and it was pretty good. The combat system has been somewhat overhauled and it feels a lot more smooth. You played as Evie (presuming you switch between the two at certain times) and were on a typical assassination mission with several opportunities. The actual assassination is a bit QTE-y, but the graphics looked amazing. The overall feel of it was great and hearing English accent was a bit weird.

It's less than a month until it releases, but I've already got mine preordered.

Kionae

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Desha
Please tell me they didn't impose the stupid time limit on Eagle Vision like they did in Unity... that pissed me off soooo much...

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
There was nothing of the sort in the demo. I can't answer that question entirely.

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
Abortedj, The Offender, Abortedjesus, Testicules,
Well yeah, the first one was. The others got better.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
The first one is repetitive and boring, but the ending got me to stick with the series. Unity may have been bad as we've discussed before, but at least it wasn't like the first. This is how I'd rate them from top to bottom:

- ACII
- ACIV
- AC Rogue
- AC Brotherhood
- AC Syndicate
- AC Revelations
- AC Unity
- ACIII
- ACI

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
I'd have to disagree on that front, you had a vast amount more freedom than you did in the second game than the first. Plus, the story was really great and Ezio was far more relatable than Altair.

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
It is interesting to note how long a game takes to play vs how long it felt like it took to play. I bought AC 1, 2, and Brotherhood as a bundle on a Steam sale several year back, and decided to play them in order.

AC 1. Steam says it took 19 hour to complete. I would of said it took about 40-50, as it was boring with bad combat for the most part. in fact made me dread playing the next to games (but I was on a kick to finish every game in my Steam library at the time).

AC2. Steam says it took 40 hours for me to complete. I thought it was much faster than that, thinking I had only played maybe 15 or 20 hours worth. It was fun, interesting, and made me very excited for Brotherhood.

Brotherhood. Steam says 43 hours. Much like AC2, it was a quick 43 hours.

Lex

Administrator
Come on guys, it's
he right tho :desu:

AC2 had no more interesting gameplay than 1 though, repetitive shit as before :monster:

You're saying this as someone who didn't make it very far into 2. 2 is actually pretty brilliant. Also 1 isn't even terrible, it's just boring. Brotherhood feels like an expansion pack to 2. Every game since - IMO - has been shit.

I disagree with the dude on one thing, and that's that it's the most offensive annual franchise. That title goes to CoD for me. At least AC was at one point borne from a semi-interesting idea.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
According to Steam I have 62 hours in asscreed 2, :monster:. Not sure where I was in the story, it felt like I was approaching the end.

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
I will add this, it is rather telling that I have not felt the urge to go back and play any AC game a second time. As much as I remember enjoying AC2/Brotherhood, the idea of replaying them holds no interest for me.

Which is odd, as other AC-like games have had me doing multiple playthroughs. The Arkham games come immediately to mind. Play the first one maybe 3 times, and Arkham City 2 and 1/2 times.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
According to Steam I have 62 hours in asscreed 2, :monster:. Not sure where I was in the story, it felt like I was approaching the end.

Finish it! The ending of II made me care a tiny bit more about the modern-day stuff. Up until then I only cared about the stuff in the past.

Also, Brotherhood is pretty fun. I loved recruiting new assassins and getting them trained up. Then I would target guards from afar and watch as they all descended from above, feeling like, "Yes my children, do as mama taught you!" :awesome:

Or the time I used them to complete a mission and a couple of them got caught up with the guards while trying to escape and were out-numbered. I rushed into the fight all like, "No! Leave my precious babies alone!" :(

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I haven't played Revelations yet. I have the Ezio Trilogy bundle and let my brother borrow it when I finished Brotherhood. He hasn't given it back yet. :P

Top Bottom