Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin (beware unmarked spoilers)

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I mean at how lucky it got Brohood you know. I wish Attack on Titan will continue on if the series ends instead of another Attack on Titan: Brohood lol

I also hope they decide to order another "season" for the anime, since it seems like they are just going to adapt up to the end of the female titan arc (it does not seem like they are going the way of Trigun or FMA 2003 and deviating from the manga storyline).

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
I really hope you're right, Theozilla...

They did it with Claymore. It all went like it did with the manga until it then went off-tangent and invented a conclusion that's not related to the manga, within the last 5 or 6 episodes. The SNK anime still can do this. I pray not, of course.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Well, let them close the female titan arc and then wait for the story to build and build and then readapt. It's not a light novel so there's plenty of material to cover hehehe!

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Whatever's in this basement, I hope it's all what they're hyping it out to be and not some dead end.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
I actually hope it's some dead end, in a way. Like it's important and all, but not some world-changing discovery.

I know, I'm odd.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Well if these cocksuckers are threatening him we could be seeing the end of a really good series that's not a frickin' moe shit thrown at japanese media.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Hey, don't go hatin' on moe :monster:

The context of Dot Pixis has always been a touchy subject. I don't know if everyone debating all this stuff knows a two shits about the matter, but the fact is that when it comes to war crimes, there is a deep animosity (even hatred) towards some Japanese who genuinely believe that they were not war crimes, or even did not exist at all.

There's a certain amount of blind patriotism from all sides of the argument, and so when people of such character are introduced to something like this they obviously tend to have a kneejerk reaction to it. I find it odd that such a public death threat like this would happen at this point, you'd think it would have come out ages ago if ever.

Regardless, it's not even certain that the two issues are related, so whatevs.

Belated newcomer to this obsessive fandom. I'd like to say:

I think the fact that humans can transform into Titans is the core of the story. The appearance of the Colossal and Armoured titans was the event that kick-started the plot. Without them, humanity would have gone on growing cosy inside their walls. I think the connection, whatever it is, between humans and Titans is going to be central to whatever message the author has in mind. Without Eren and (possibly) Ymir on their side, humanity would have no hope against the Titans; they needed Eren to even the odds just a little bit.

This is one of the few manga where I haven't found it completely implausible that kids would be sent out to do the fighting. I don't think grown adults would find it easy to learn the 3DM. Lightness, speed and agility are the most important attributes for a soldier fighting against the Titans. Oh, and insane courage. In fact, I'm surprised they don't start training kids even younger, say from five, so that flying would be as natural to them as walking.

I don't think it's any accident that SNK has so many wonderful women characters. Isayama understands the simple rule for creating good female characters: as GRR Martin said, "women are people, too." Isayama's female characters are good characters who happen to be female. That's all.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
So liek, I just started watching this this afternoon and watched five episodes or so nonstahp (also because alcohol).

It's pretty valid so far, the titans are fucking weird. But I don't get it.
Humans get the time to build a tl;dr wall, but when they finally attack again, all the defense they have is simple cannons? I know that (as explained in one episode) they regenerate their heads if they get shot off, but, couldn't they build bigger cannons (like in medieval times) to blow them completely to smithereens instead? If they had the time to build a set of walls like that. Second, idgi part two, they're stuck on medieval technology... besides what looks like CO2 powered 3d movement devices from the year 2200. idgi. Yeah I know, entertainment and I don't mind it in the end, but, cynicism strikes again, :monster:.

Also just poasting here because the subtitles died when I was going for episode 6. y u no just work internet downloaded stuff.

So far, most of the apparent plotholes and "I-don't-get-it" issues have been addressed further on into the story. Trust me, you are meant to be wondering about where exactly those walls came from. You may not have yet come across the scene where my hero Erwin whispers into Eren's ear, "Who is the real enemy?", but that question is the core of this story. The author knows exactly what he's doing.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
...I'm at episode 8 now, I'll believe you, :monster:. I just had the bit where that d00d
turns into a titan
and that kind of wtfery. One more step towards understanding stuff, I guess. I put it on at 4 or so this afternoon, it's past 8 now and I can't stop watching. Perhaps also because I don't have anything better to do, but, :monster:

I know what you mean. I don't watch a lot of anime (Cowboy BeBop, FMA, Black Butler because it's so pretty, and Miyazaki, who seems to be trying to distance himself from 'mainstream' anime these days) but AoT is in a class of its own.

Novus

Pro Adventurer
I know what you mean. I don't watch a lot of anime (Cowboy BeBop, FMA, Black Butler because it's so pretty, and Miyazaki, who seems to be trying to distance himself from 'mainstream' anime these days) but AoT is in a class of its own.

No Evangelion?

I haven't watched Titan yet, it's on my to watch list.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
lawls, I hardly ever watch anime. Watched DBZ (because everyone does, admit it), Hellsing (both the anime and Ultimate), tried to watch erm, that thing with the fox dude but couldn't bear it anymore after two dozen or so episodes (same shit all the time), and now this one because I was bored this afternoon.

Episodes 9-14 (ish) are tl;dr tbh; one is 90% repeat of previous episodes, and three or four episodes have the exact same scenes repeated several times, sometimes with some in-between scenes. I think I'm at season 2 now, since the intro's different, :monster:. I wouldn't mind if it didn't do that stuff it did in the past couple episodes.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
One season, two openings. Typical in Japan as of late... double promotion in terms of artists and whatnot.

Generally speaking, things that do not make sense are being explained later in the story. Author... KNEW what he WAS doing but has admitted that the success of the anime has made him reconsider a few things he had set on stone. He said he was planning on a rather... "bad" ending for many characters, and that this MAY be different in the end (because anime fanboys tend to be a lot more annoying when characters die and all). Let's hope the end result is good because this really is a good one.

Related: I was reading the latest manga chapter online the other day... and when I finished, I was like "oh shoot, it sucks I'll have to wait for the next one", then clicked on the page to move to the next one -only there would be no next one- and it actually moved on to the next chapter... which had been uploaded while I was reading the other one. It was quite cool :monster: . And the most interesting thing that has happened to me in the last few days, which is a bit lame but oh well.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I made it through ep… 12 last night?

I'm thinking that I might jump in and binge read the manga.

X :neo:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Finished the anime, uncertain whether to keep going with the manga or wait for season 2. It's a good show, but I'm not quite sure how it got as much respect as it did.

Notable Pluses:

Like the third anime I've seen where the military uniform isn't designed with sexiness in mind.

Video game bosses depicted realistically (great, you know the weak point, now try to slice it while travelling at 30kmph without screwing up, see how many people can pull it off every time)

Crazily devoted super girl has a reason to be so.

I've never really liked 'giant monster attack' type stories, but this one is extremely watchable.

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
I made it up to ep 11 before calling it quits. The manga/anime suffers from the “claymore syndrome” "different faces same uniform". The titans look terrible, there’s no detail.

Top Bottom