Votes: 4 10.0%
  • FFXII

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
FFX-2 may have had the best endings in the series, but no one will ever know because it was so awful no one had the patience to finish it. :hugeawesomonster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yes. We could've totally done without X-2. Ruined X's great ending

Seriously, why do so many people subscribe to this line of thought? How can a sequel - no matter how bad - ruin an original? Short of somehow rewriting your FFX disc, the game is left unchanged. But this is ESPECIALLY true of FFX-2 with the multiple endings. If you don't get the "good" or "perfect" endings it has virtually no effect whatsoever on X's ending.

FFX also gets my vote for best ending. But they're all pretty satisfying in general (except VII's)

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
The ending of FFX already showed Tidus not disappearing completely as originally thought, so him returning in some form or another as shown by him swimming back up to the surface of the water, really ain't that surprising. FFX-2 allows you to choose your ending based on your gameplay so it really is silly to say it ruined FFX individually.

But then again the FFX-2 Ultimania and Ultimania for Last Mission relates the plot from the perspective from the best ending so :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I don't remember much anymore, :monster:. Lessee. IX was good, but can't remember. VIII was good, but mainly due to the dramatics and such - the bigger part of the ending CGI was just vague and symbolic and such and made little sense. The camera thing was neat and really adds a lot of personality to the characters - they should do stuff like that more often.

I've never finished VI, yet, but I might if I finish my current playthrough. I couldn't get past Atma back when, :(. Out of the other pre-PS FF games, I only finished II on the GBA, and don't remember too much of it - even though it's the most recent one I've finished, :monster:. So no opinions on those.

Also, Lufia 2 was win. Lufia 1 was made of far more ghey though, and it was a bit odd since it's a sequel to 2 and you 'recreate' the events of 2. in 1. I'm confused myself. But I can't remember the ending of that one - smry?

Munatik

Beacause I am a puppet
Yarr, I don't remember the first being quite as awesome as the second Lufia (and you're right, 2 was a prequel). I can hardly remember the ending of the first, myself. But I definitely remember
After taking pwnership of the last boss, Guy, Maxim, and Artea confront all the Sinistrals again. They manage to repel them, but Selan is mortally wounded and dies. The Sinistral boss dude (Daos I think) then tries to crash the Sinistral's floating fortress into the town where Selan's and Maxim's son is. Maxim uses the last of his energy to destroy the stones controlling the fortress--dying in the process, but altering its course and saving their son. And then me --> BAWWWWWWW because I was like 9 yrs old at the time. Still kinda bawworthy now, imo.

/threadjack

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Seriously, why do so many people subscribe to this line of thought? How can a sequel - no matter how bad - ruin an original? Short of somehow rewriting your FFX disc, the game is left unchanged. But this is ESPECIALLY true of FFX-2 with the multiple endings. If you don't get the "good" or "perfect" endings it has virtually no effect whatsoever on X's ending.

FFX also gets my vote for best ending. But they're all pretty satisfying in general (except VII's)

Because once you've been exposed to the horror that is FFX-2, there is no turning back. There's nowhere to run and nowhere to hide.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Masamune suffers from PTGD, sadly.

Post Traumatic Game Disorder. It happens :monster:

Some things just don't fade away easily. They re-live the same horror and trauma over and over again and it colors their gaming experience, especially if its from the same company and character designers. It takes years of time, patience, and cognitive-gaming therapy to finally erase the stain of horror that has been inflicted onto his mind and heart and regain the trust that was shattered by the gaming company and designer responsible.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I suffered from PTGD myself when Aerith died. I couldn't leave my bed for weeks. I should be more sensitive to Masa. :sadpanda:

....but X-2 is a great game. :monster:

megas_sephiroth

Pro Adventurer
I suffered from PTGD myself when Aerith died. I couldn't leave my bed for weeks. I should be more sensitive to Masa. :sadpanda:

....but X-2 is a great game. :monster:

Didn't we all? Lol. I remember watching the scene and thinking: "is it just me, or they killed a character?"

You're in denial over FFX-2. It's probably also a symptom of PTGD. :awesome:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
People go into FFX-2 and FFX and see they are like night and day. The themes, tone, and very nature of the two games are polar opposites. It can be rather surprising expecting something in the line of FFX and then getting FFX-2, because of their radical differences. That's why it gets so off putting. You have a world and story that's living in the shadow of death, telling you a somber and melodramatic story full of loss, tragedy and heavy emotional content.

And then you get the sequel that is as lighthearted as a shoujo comedy anime, full of girls having fun, adventuring, and living in a world that's so optimistic and changed, people can't believe its the same setting. The change is extreme.

And no, she really isn't. FFX-2 is one of the most successful sequels and games Square's put out there. It's the very reason the Compilation of FFVII exists, especially AC. It was a springboard to many projects due to how successful its model was.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I like FFX-2 because its just fucking fun. The story is an interesting gaiden that shows just what the world became after the choke hold of Yevon and Sin was finally released, and I found it really well done. While the world was finally able to achieve a semblance of peace and happiness, it was still at odds at how to go about the future and the conflict between the two factions really was quite interesting. It ended happily, but it was far from a happily ever after ending for Spira. It had new realistic problems to face.

I love FFX-2's open nature with how the story progressed, giving you total freedom on how the story progressed and how your relationships with NPCs went. Furthermore, the thing has replay value up the ass (arguably too much) and there are a ton of mini-games to keep you occupied (again...arguably too much.)

The battle system and customization was awesome, and it was also solidly difficult in terms of its optional bosses and enemies. There's just a shit load to do, and while the tone and story telling is no where near as serious, heavy or epic as FFX, it still is entertaining and fun. Even if the main characters are silly, it still doesn't change the fact the game is fun and enjoyable. You just have to let go and have fun and not take it as such SRS BUSINESS and remember that these characters have spent nearly their entire lives living under the fear of death and devotion to a religion. No shit they're gonna act out and go all out in terms of fun.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Auron is in FFX-2.

Eh, I think its story is good. Not as good as FFX's but still good. It's not something like oh....I dunno, The Bouncer? :awesome:

megas_sephiroth

Pro Adventurer
But not as a playable character. :'(

The bouncer had a story? I didn't notice, lol. Anyway, I traded it in for DoC, so I guess it was good for something.

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
Plus, there's no Auron. :monster:
There's his voice! :monster:

As for FFX-2, the game was lots of fun gameplay-wise. But neither the story or the (new) characters appealled to me. They were too cheerfull for my taste.

Rikku even looked like she had been connected to a nuclear reactor. She couldn't stand still for a minute.

All-in-all, X-2 was a fun game due to its gameplay and missions. The rest was meh, imo.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
I don't think it's necessarily 'serious business' to criticize the story and characterisation. After all, Final Fantasy- well, almost every game these days- uses this as a vehicle for the gameplay. It's hard to enjoy the technical side of the game when you're controlling and following a bunch of teeny boppers, interacting with obnoxious characters and half-baked plotlines.

Top Bottom