Cat on Mars creates an art thread

rafiki-simba-the_lion_king.jpg

So yes, we just found Cat on Mars' spirit animal character.

Cat on Mars

Actually not a cat
Also, nice cat.
All of the details are really amazing.
Thanks! I try to add detail but not too much, I try to keep the image's composition as clear as possible. I always enjoy adding some weird animals or monsters to fantasy pieces so I gave her some sort of monkey cat as animal companion and added a snake bird perched on the tree because why not, fun is what makes fantasy enjoyable.

It reminds me of 80's fantasy pictures for games and novels <3
80s were the golden age of fantasy pictures. Frazzeta, Vallejo, Royo and even Azpiri were the rage and I enjoyed their illustrations as soon as I discovered them. The 90s were an awesome silver age, there were lots of great artists with very different artstyles: Terese Nielsen, Quinton Hoover, Rebecca Guay, John Avon...
The first decade of 2000s was the last good decade for fantasy art with people like Karl Kopiski, Steve Argyle and Chippy.

These days... all looks the same, there's no individuality. We are living in the dark age of fantasy art.
Companies want a house style that always, somehow, is souless photorealistic pictures, all the artists must do the same. I don't like it because I know people who has to do it to get paid but honestly all their work look the same and it makes me sad, there's no fun or joy anymore. I long for the days when the Foglios could paint colorful, silly goblins and their illustrations were printed in MTG cards.

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
Turned out I completely overlooked this thread - shame on me.

I definitely like your style! The latest work is absolutely wonderful. The colours, the light, the details, the cat (!) - everything. And I appreciate the realistic body proportions, too.

Sephiroth leaves a long-lasting impression as well :wacky:

Cat on Mars

Actually not a cat
I definitely like your style! The latest work is absolutely wonderful. The colours, the light, the details, the cat (!) - everything. And I appreciate the realistic body proportions, too.
Thanks for your comment! This thread was inactive for almost a month so it was easy to miss.

Sephiroth leaves a long-lasting impression as well :wacky:
I draw dozens of fanarts but I make Sephiroth fucking Jenova's head once and that's all what people remember lol
...oh well. That's life. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I feel personally assaulted and I'm not even Odysseus.
Don't worry, he knew what he was getting into. (◕‿◕✿)

Cat on Mars

Actually not a cat
Once upon a time, there was a fangame. As many fan projects, it was abandoned before it could be finished.
This is a tribute to FFVII: For All Gaia's Children: the final design for the final boss "Bizarro Chaos". Thank @Shademp for its existence.

Now, some commentary.
I didn't know this project existed until Shademp told me about it. It had a lot of potential, a lot of heart, and a lot of complications derived from the fact that it was a full game. It was a very ambitious project, so naturally its development stagnated until it was declared abandoned.
The final boss for its first act never had a completed design, so I was commissioned to make one. This is my interpretation of its concept, as explained by Shademp:

Shademp said:
Bizarro Chaos
Seven years after Dirge of Cerberus, Lucrecia has been possessed by the lingering spirit of Sephiroth. On top of this Sephiroth has hijacked the spirit of Chaos and is now in possession of the Protomateria. Everything is part of Sephiroth’s plot to once again achieve resurrection. Breaking free from Lucrecia’s crystal, Sephiroth escapes to the Nibelheim reactor.

Longer story shortened: Genesis, Cloud and a few others encounter Sephiroth-Lucrecia inside the reactor. When Sephiroth realizes he can’t complete his resurrection plan he triggers a horrific transformation and becomes Bizarro Chaos. The party defeats Bizarro Chaos and with this the final vestiges of Sephiroth are ultimately destroyed.

We never got the design of Bizarro Chaos fully realized, though I do have some basic outlines for it. I imagine it as a creature roughly the same size as Bizarro Sephiroth, though with a way more chaotic design seeing as it is an amalgamation of so many elements: Sephiroth, Lucrecia, Jenova and Chaos.

And now this abomination exists! ฅ(•ㅅ•❀)ฅ

Last edited:

Cat on Mars

Actually not a cat
Cat on Mars presents Eftichia, Dragon Warrior of Kovoia! I was hired by @Shademp to design this character in all her awesomeness, including armor and her weapon, the Black Wind lance, for his Ghaleem Chronicles.

eftichia 3000px distribution.pngThere's a lot of lore and worlbuilding behind this character and I tried to incorporate all I could to her design, ranging from Kovoia's renowed metalsmithing to the uniqueness of her dragon wings, which are huge and able to repeal arrows.

The spear is made entirely of black metal. The blade is black and straight, erupting from the dragon's jaws.

The armor was quite the challenge. It had to be dragon-themed but not too spiky and befitting for the character.
Shoulderpads have two dragon heads fully modelled in metal, the gorget have some textured metal. The rest of the armor has etched scales on metal creating a black and gold pattern mainly, and the fault is made with small pieces of metal similar to the traditional Turkish armor.

The black coat has a pattern of flames with a metallic thread. Kovoia's flag is emblazoned on the chestplate, flanked by the two dragon heads and protected by Eftichia's wings. Since she is the sign of the new era, it's appropiate that she displays on her chest her patriotic fervor for propaganda purposes.

This means I design characters, armor and weapons too, not only monsters! But since there's no rest for the wicked, I'll resume working on my Sephinova doujin.
If you forgot about it, I didn't. :monster:

Last edited:
Top Bottom