Catch-all R.I.P. thrad

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Man. Prince really is just one of those people where it's valid to say they went to soon. He was visionary and revolutionary. He saw music, pop, rock , new wave, funk what ever , and decided to play it his way and it was always for the better.

He was also a god damn sorcerer on the guitar. Really really gutted here one of the all time greats and it's really just so tragic that he had to go so young. The world and the world of music legitimately lost a lot today.

edit:

Obligatory post of While my Guitar gently weeps at the 2004 RnR HoF

Ghost X

I really only liked a handful of Prince's songs, but those songs are really really good, and I can recognise his genius. One of those people who didn't just move the chess pieces, but the chess board itself (I think I butchered that saying :p). Died from the flu too if I read correctly? That's a message to folks in itself.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe

This is why Prince was one of the best live acts ever. Everything went wrong with that show and by the time they played Purple Rain the second guitar they gave him was severely out of tune due to the rain and he went with it anyway just bending the notes to make it work.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
tumblr_o60mz6jYCL1rmgl0xo1_500.jpg

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Google did this before:

gallery-1461287365-google-prince.jpg

The guy was legendary, the work office is going to be pretty gutted today. We were just letting the news sink in that Victoria Wood had recently died. :(

My Facebook feed exploded last night. I haven't seen it done that since Michael Jackson died.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I've just seen a party at First Avenue over there on the news and it looks like it's not stopping. :monster:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
It's going until 7am, which is very generous of the city, really. They normally want things shut down by 2am.

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer
Musician Prince passed away today at 57. Story.
Oh gosh. I know someone here who's going to be very, very sad about this. :(

*hugs*

*hugs*

I don't know why the news of his passing just hit me only a few hours ago. I was watching this video of him and when he starts to play Sometime it Snows in April I just started to cry. I always hoped to see him live again but I never thought he would be gone so soon. I'm so grateful that I got to see him play live because it was one of the best if not the best concert I've ever been to.

The world won't be the same without him.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Oh gosh. I know someone here who's going to be very, very sad about this. :(

*hugs*

*hugs*

I don't know why the news of his passing just hit me only a few hours ago. I was watching this video of him and when he starts to play Sometime it Snows in April I just started to cry. I always hoped to see him live again but I never thought he would be gone so soon. I'm so grateful that I got to see him play live because it was one of the best if not the best concert I've ever been to.

The world won't be the same without him.

I agree I got to see him live in Vegas in my early 20's. His stage presence and the over all performance is amazing. There's so many musicians who don't care and just do what ever on stage.

Prince wasn't one of them. Easily one of the top concerts I've ever been to.

Last edited:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I've actually been wondering about that. Like maybe he left it in his will to open the vault or if his estate might do that sometime?

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I didn't get to see Prince live (I could have gone to see him with Kuroto, but the tickets were way too expensive for me and I wasn't as much of a fan back then as I am now), but I did dream about him playing live last night. In my parents' living room, modified with a huge stage at the front. I was his stage manager / sound engineer, and he invited me up to play a song with him. I had a giant tambourine and I just improvised a beat to match his guitar-playing, but it worked out. Then, later, when I was back in the kitchen, it dawned on me that he was dead, and that it couldn't have been a live performance, but I don't know what the hell it was. Very surreal. I woke up feeling pretty sad.

Thought I'd share it here rather than the dreams thread for obvious reasons.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Yeah, it kind of all got mixed up in the Prince stuff. :(

I feel a little guilty about that.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X

Just saying, but this was mentioned in the same post about Prince when it happened two weeks ago:

Holy shit! Two very surprising and very young deaths today!

Former WWE wrestler Chyna passed away at at 45. Story.

Wow. RIP to both. Both are legends in their respective businesses.

Yeah, it kind of all got mixed up in the Prince stuff. :(

I feel a little guilty about that.

No reason to feel guilty about focusing on a tragedy that hits close to home.

X :neo:

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
I was just coming here to post about it but I'm a little late.

RIP Afeni. Yes, she was Tupac's mother, but she was also a revolutionary woman in her own right, a political activist, Black Panther, and even her own defense attorney at one point.

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
I never got into Tejano music, nor was I even remotely interested, but this one's making local headlines in my general area, and is particularly gaining the attention of most of my dad's side of the family.

Emilio Navaira at age 53. The last time I remember the Tejano community being shellshocked by a high-profile death was the murder of Selena back in 1995 (and that shit was all over the local press, even without the benefit of Social Media, and with the internet basically in its infancy).

Top Bottom