[CHAPTER 5] Let's ALL Play Final Fantasy VI!

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
2r3w0gj.jpg

BRB FAPPING

Also, did any FF after VI ever do big story-related things in battle? iirc, they only did the odd conversations-with-textboxes, no custom animations or anything.

FFVI's graphics were simple enough to allow for 'in-battle' cutscenes, so to speak, such as the aforementioned appearance of Sabin / Mash, as well as upcoming events.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Cthulhu said:
BRB FAPPING

Also, did any FF after VI ever do big story-related things in battle? iirc, they only did the odd conversations-with-textboxes, no custom animations or anything.

FFVI's graphics were simple enough to allow for 'in-battle' cutscenes, so to speak, such as the aforementioned appearance of Sabin / Mash, as well as upcoming events.

You're forgetting the dialogue and interactions with the Turks in FFVII, Palmer getting rammed by a truck, the Carry Armor picking people up, and the various other random odd events that happened in battle.

FFVIII had it to a degree... FFIX too. And hell, FFX had action commands where characters would do or say certain things in battle that influenced the outcome of the action or their stats. Like talking to Seymour, piloting the airship, etc etc.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
You're forgetting the dialogue and interactions with the Turks in FFVII, Palmer getting rammed by a truck, the Carry Armor picking people up, and the various other random odd events that happened in battle.

The plot related stuff like Leo's conversation with Kefka, Terra, Edgar and Locke's conversation, Relm and Ultros conversation, Gesthal and Kefka, and so on and so forth have never been really replicated in any FF to date, however.

Odd events and bits of dialogue, sure, but telling a story through a battle has yet to be done the way FFVI did it.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Just finished this chapter. I remember playing this as a kid I had a hard time figuring out what do for a bit (though there was a part I was stuck at for a very long time which I'll mention when we get there).

Is there any purpose to getting the Imperial Cadet's uniform? The troops don't seem to treat you any differently. Also, I have never discovered the Ribbon in the basement before! Freaking awesome to have a Ribbon this early :monster:

And I love Celes. As I've mentioned before, I'm pretty sure she's my favorite female character in Final Fantasy. She's guilty both for things she's responsible for and things that were out of her control, but she could still be brutal as a general and is just as powerful and strong now. She's awesome. It's unfortunate (for me) that Terra is technically the stronger character, because I'm always preferred Celes. I always thought Terra was a little boring.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
I always thought Terra was a little boring.

That's what I always thought. I grew to like her character (it's probably Nin's and Dissidia's fault tbh), but she was never a favorite of mine. I understand she's trying to find love, and has a problem with emotions but... she seemed robotic to me sometimes, and very dull. She didn't keep me interested the way Celes did with her wide range of emotions, problems, events, etc...

Yonathin

The End
AKA
Yonathin3155, Ultros, Ultros3155, CECIL3155
I wish I got here early enough to play this too. Oh well, there's always next time, eh?

I haven't gotten to the most recent checkpoint yet, so I can't really make any comments on it, but the one before that reminded me of just how awesome Ultros is. I think it's great how even though FFVI starts off with a pretty grim tone the game also has a talking, purple octopus antagonize you for no particular reason. :monster: It keeps the game from taking itself too seriously.

I always thought Terra was a little boring.

I prefer Terra to Celes (though they're both great), but I can see where you're coming from; I never really realized how little dialogue Terra has in the beginning.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop

FFVIII had it to a degree... FFIX too. And hell, FFX had action commands where characters would do or say certain things in battle that influenced the outcome of the action or their stats. Like talking to Seymour, piloting the airship, etc etc.

Truth. In FFVIII though, I only remember it as bits of dialog in the top and default animations. FFX too, actually.

Let's just keep it at "FFVI's were more memorable", :monster:.

And yes, FFVI's a game that balances between being ded serious and rather silly (think of 'rather silly' in the British pronunciation of the words). On one side you've got a big plot of mindrape, a psychotic clown general,
mass murder by poison, including a main character's family
... on the other hand you have Ultros.

...Fuck we need an ultros-monster smilie. Give me :ultros: or gief death :monster:.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
You're all assholes who should get AIDs and drown in a river. :ultros:

Hmm..you know, I think this smiley might work!!!!

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
On other topics :ultros:

How do you get Sabin's special attacks to work? I'm up the boss fight where you need to use it, but I don't know when you're supposed to enter the commands. When that flash appears, before that? I've been pressing the directional keys then the confirm button, is that right?

Because I've missed like 5 times so far.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
You go to Blitz, click X or A or whatever you're using, put in the combination, then X/A again.

Put another way, when you first select Blitz, the little FF Hand will move from the box to pointing at Sabin, that's when you wanna enter it.

EDIT: YES! I finally beat Mako to a post! :monstersmash:

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
you choose Blitz

The cursor will point to Sabin, and then you input the buttons. Then you hit the action button again, and Sabin will do the attack.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Update in a little while.

I just want to say in a spoiler free way as possible; I think FFVI has the most epic, memorable, and overall best final battle sequence in RPGs, period.

Top Bottom