Chit Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

A

Great Old One
Light and L is epic. and so is Ryuk
Light is a retard asshole who wants nothing more than things for himself. But L and Ryuk are quite epic, I agree with that. :monster:

Shady, you should watch the anime before the movie. Their endings are..a little confusing. haha. Or read the manga to find out what the real ending is?
Personally, I preferred:

The way L died in the movie rather then in the anime/manga. More justice served there.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Death note is a pretty cool guy. eh kills people with a notebook and doesn't afraid of anything. :wacky:

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
No, the meme involves deliberate misuse of a franchise's name in place of that of one of its characters :wackymonster:

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
What do you mean? :shifty:
Ahem, original statement was "I think Halo is a pretty cool guy. Eh kills aliens and doesn't afraid of anything.":wacky:

Nocturne

Watching Thee From The Moon
AKA
Just Nocturne will do
I actually supported Light a hell of alot more than L. Most people say L was the righteous one, yet he was ready to use the notebook himself without regard. Truthfully he was no different.

Light did do some things I didnt like, but largely I could understand where he was coming from and do believe that he was doing it for the good of mankind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
You know who I understood? Matsuda. And Sayu. So yeah.

A

Great Old One
Where has it ever said that L wanted to use the notebook himself? He wanted to destroy the notebooks, not use it for himself. And he's a lot more righteous than Light, in my opinion - although, he did only agree to the Kira case because it was of his own self-interest, not because he wanted to do it for justice.

Also, Light was never doing it for the good of mankind - he started out that way, and even told himself that he would risk his life to never go to neither heaven or hell in order to use the notebook, but after all that power got into his head he not only killed innocent victims, but he used it so he himself could be a 'God.' And if Light was smarter, he should have known that there is no such thing as an utopia, or maybe he should have told himself that a human being cannot be a god, as human beings aren't perfect. His plan was only flawed, and there's nothing morally right about Light passing judgment on another human being.
Hi Nocturne. ^_^

Also, Matsuda supporter ftw. Not as much as L, of course. :awesomonster:

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Queen of Sunshine / QoS / Suiseiseki / Desudesudesu / Teva / Teva'ni
But . . . but Light started to just kill people in order to cover up his tracks and then he became all egotistical and maniacal around the time when L started catching onto him. :(

When was L ever ready to use the notebook without regards to anyone else?
I'm pretty sure L would only "use it" as a means to actually examine the contents of it. He loves solving puzzles and cases. I doubt he'd actually use the notebook to kill anyone.

Also I concur with Alise's statements regarding the fact that Light had a very skewed vision of what was morally "right". The moment he killed people like Naomi and her boyfriend who were truthfully just trying to do the right thing and solve the "Kira case" was when he overstepped his boundaries. And even when he DID start murdering serial killers, it still wasn't considered right because killing a human being is still technically considered to be a crime. It doesn't matter if said human being was a murderer or deserved the killing or not, the moment you decide to take the ability to pass righteous judgment on someone, is when you've stepped over a boundary.

Light stepped over that boundary. L never overstepped that boundary because whether he would've liked to or not, he never came into contact with the Death Note. Besides L knew what was moralistically acceptable and what wasn't and he knew that whatever Light was using to carry out the killings, was not something worth fussing over for.

Also hey Nocturne! :)

Last edited:

Nocturne

Watching Thee From The Moon
AKA
Just Nocturne will do
Exactly, using it to solve a puzzle is even worse than using it for some type of plan. It shows no regard for human life at all, just to do it to satisfy his own needs.

He did do things to cover up his tracks, which was wrong, but at the same time, to achieve what he wanted to, it couldnt be helped. But I dont think he was completely egotistical and maniacal. There were times when he lost it, but he always had a certain goal in mind. Even at the end of the series, his true intentions do come out and they were his good ones. He may have slipped and fell and the whole God thing was out there, but he truly did believe he was doing it for the good of mankind.

Last edited by a moderator:

A

Great Old One
But that's just a guess. There's no actual confirmation whether or not he was actually planning to do that, so I doubt we can conclude whether or not L was the same as Light was.

Light's thoughts were the same of one as a dictator's. If a dictator appears and believes that he is doing it for the good of mankind, and yet kills innocent people, it's can't conclude that 'he's a good guy.' Even more so, I doubt that Light didn't know he was killing innocent people, but just did it to prevent himself from getting caught, which is more egotistical then risking his life for mankind.

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
She pretty much hit the nail on the head. Light thought that he could ultimately cleanse the world and sure that thought is all fine and alright--I'm sure most people wish that. But the moment you desire to actually put that plan to fruition--to actually see to it that every "criminal" and vile creature is eradicated from this world--then it turns ugly. That's what Light desired and as soon as he laid eyes on the Death Note and found out about its uses--he decided to do just that.

L merely attempted to stop Light's own path of destruction. Light wasn't just killing criminals to rid the world of a few baddies--it became his goal to ascend to a God--no, scratch that he already was a God. There was your problem, the kid became too fixated on attaining power.

Remember, absolute power corrupts absolutely, bam there you have it. Light got all of this power to take away lives with the stroke of a pen--a pen and he abused it. It consumed him like it was bound to, even if it wasn't his intention to cover up his tracks by killing left and right--he eventually became the very thing he sought to kill--a criminal.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Light was definitely not anywhere even remotely near being righteous. He's actually one of the most sanctimonious assholes I've come across in any work of fiction.

Also, mark your damn spoilers Nocturne.

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Lol, I marked my damn spoilers! *ish joking* Hi btw.

Light's an asshole and L was a cool dude. Misa needed to die a slow, torturous painful death. Mello was cool, Near was not, and everyone else was meh. The end.

So how was your day? :)

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Boring mostly. Reading Pratchett has been a nice respite from the boredom, although the book I'm reading is pretty damn bleak.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
You know maybe you guys should just make a Death Note thread. Say in the title that it will have spoilers. :)

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Next spoilers that go unmarked will be warned on sight.

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
You know I pretty much stopped talking about Death Note it gets boring just repeating the same thing over and over again.

V said:
Boring mostly. Reading Pratchett has been a nice respite from the boredom, although the book I'm reading is pretty damn bleak.

Ah Pratchett eh . . . interesting. I'm reading Jack London's the Sea Wolf right now and my stand-in English teacher's giving me praises like no tomorrow. Honestly, I never knew that kids in my school didn't know about the book, it's a great piece of literature.

What's the book you're reading about?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Next spoilers that go unmarked will be warned on sight.

This.

For fuck's sake, if you want to talk about the spoilers and in-depth plot of some work or media do not bring it to the damn Chit Chat thread. Make a thread about it so that everyone who's not privy or into it yet will not go in here and have to feel spoiled and then report the shit to me. Thank you for being considerate of other members.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
It's called Reaper Man. Death is removed from his job; chaos ensues.

Jack London's pretty great; I need to read more of his stuff.

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Yes, yes you should. :) sadly though it's the only Jack London book I can afford to smuggle from my mother's cabinet. She has some really good books--Victor Hugo, Jane Austen, John Updike, and then there's Plato's Symposium which I nabbed and I'm preparing to read after I finish up the Sea Wolf.

Death is unemployed and chaos ensues huh?

. . . It sounds like a dark comedy to me, though you know I could be wrong.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
It is. Discworld is a comic fantasy series, but that doesn't stop some of the books from being really bleak. :monster:

as for Austen, I've only read Pride and Prejudice; I need to read moar. I also need to read some Hugo and Updike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom