Crisis Core -FFVII- Reunion General Discussion

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
....What the fuck?

Did they accidentally include Rick Gomez's line there?!

Either that was an incredible feat of vocal mimicry or something went wrong.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Despite my best efforts to give you all accurate reporting, I was wrong. The collapsed Sector 6 skybox is used in Reunion's extra missions. I'm 99% positive it'll also be used when in Sector 5 during story chapters. This makes CCR completely inline with Remake, as well as equally incorrect.

At this point, the Sector 6 plate being over the Sector 5 slums has become canon in my mind. In-world maps may differ, but the people of Midgard know the truth. There is no real Sector 5 slums. Just a town named "Sector 5" in Sector 6, surrounded by a broken wall to keep it separate from the rest of the slums. It's the only possible solution.

PXL_20221213_102548350.jpg

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Initial impressions:

Starting with the cons, the voice acting is really stilted. I'm not sure what's up. Even Sephiroth, who sounded fine in Remake, is off here. I know these actors are capable of more. Was recording rushed? Did they put their B-team recording studio on this? It's like they went with the first take every time. Contemplating switching to Japanese voices just to see if I become less distracted.

Now the pros, everything else! Love that command materia is more viable now that they strengthen with your combo (Jump is especially good, use it instead of dodging!) Love the expanded music tracks. Love that you can retry battles when you die in the extra missions. Speaking of the extra missions, they're so addicting! Loading is almost instant, accumulating treasure and awards is satisfying, and the revamped areas look great. The coral caverns are an especially nice step up. I know reviewers were harsh on this aspect, but I think it's good fun in bursts.

As expected, the combat improvements are stellar. Reducing a boss's ability gauge gives a similar rush to staggering enemies in Remake. In both cases, you have a small window of opportunity to unload your entire payload. It gives battles a good tempo. Such neat design.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
lmao wtf!!!

Timestamped to 12:20. Sound familiar?

the hell? lol. I hope they don't patch that out before I can get there

Maybe the character-specific OG voice mods will be even easier than expected :monster:

Tetsujin said:
(Oh but the localization fixed "mako addiction" so that's nice :monster: )

That's definitely a good thing, always bothered me.

I agree with Mako on Sephiroth's sword stabs, though, I'd rather a clip with no effect than the ~ random smoke effect ~

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Been playing for a bit, cleared chapter 1 and a bunch of side missions. Combat feels decent. So much more responsive. Having shortcuts is fantastic. Being able to chain standard attacks into materia finishers feels really good too.

The DMW no longer interrupting you I guess means the "modulating phase" and "power surge!" voice overs are completely gone now.
The rearranged music so far is alright. The boss theme The Summoned now has a new segment where it goes into the classic Uematsu boss theme, so that's neat.

VA so far is...a mixed bag like the original. Zack is worse, Angeal is a bit better. Yuffie sounds adorable though. Her VA is afaik around the same age, 9, 10 or so? D'aww. Having every scene be voiced in general is an improvement though. Definitely makes it feel a bit more big budget, even if the animations are still the stiff, canned ones from the PSP.

You can have different materia loadouts now! Even FFVIIR didn't have that lmao, hope this'll be a sign of things to come for Rebirth.
Love the QOL features, the game also points you towards missions that may unlock summons and shit. Pretty sure that wasn't a thing before.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
LOL I swear, they should get fans to beta test and look for shit like this. An outside pair of eyes is needed for shit like that. They probably thought no one would notice... tsk tsk...

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
If you thought the Midgar skybox in FFVIIR on PS4 was a bit low res...CCR is even worse lmao
They seriously couldn't use the asset from Intergrade? This looks like it was downscaled for Switch.
Apart from that, environment art is generally pretty good. Still a massive upgrade from the PSP version obviously :monster:

Looks like Sector 8 is still showing the front side of Shinra HQ when it should be the back. OG CC made the same mistake although FFVIIR showed the correct angle. :monster:

D

Deleted member 13557

Coming from someone who isn’t a huge fan of OG Crisis Core, the remake is fun as all hell.

Feel like I’ll enjoy this more but I’ll still have my personal gripes with aspects of the story :mon:

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
I'm actually playing this game for the first time, because I never got around to buying a PSP, even when this game first came out. I did buy the strategy guide though, and it's still in great condition (most likely from not being opened very much in 14 years).

Jimmy XH

Pro Adventurer
Another who didn't play the original, I guess I've put about 3.5hrs in so far, largely banging through the missions. I have to say I am finding it highly enjoyable.

It looks great and is a lot of fun to play. I keep finding myself using the Remake buttons so I'm using up all my potions when trying to dodge.

Of course it shows signs of age in its dialogue but we knew that. I don't think the VAs get much help with some of the lines they have to deliver, mind...

ForceStealer

Double Growth
For the first timers - just a PSA that may well not matter to you. If you go hard into the missions you will rapidly outpace the main the story in strength. You may not care or even prefer that, but I'm always a little bummed the first time through a story when all the tension has been sucked out because I'm overlevelled, lol.

Not that you can't do some missions and be fine, you obviously should do missions that give you the summons and some other good equipment even if you are like me. A few dozen isn't gonna make a noticeable difference. Just if you want to both shoot for Minerva AND be at a reasonable level for the story, I'd recommend saving most of them for the final save point :monster:

Jimmy XH said:
I keep finding myself using the Remake buttons so I'm using up all my potions when trying to dodge.

I can't freaking stop doing this :rage:lol

Top Bottom