Crisis Core -FFVII- Reunion General Discussion

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
What?

The combat and combos Zack's using in the trailer are lifted straight out of CC, I'm not sure what you mean.

The only move Zack uses that Cloud does is Meteor Shots.

I wanna come back to this because looking at it, the combat definitely looks a bit snappier than it did on PSP
Zack's combos are a bit faster and animations look different and kind of flow into each other better than they did before

DNbuJWK.gif

09WqIHv.gif

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Someone misheard the assignment and scaled down the Lazard model to prepare for a PlayStation 1 release.

Yeah I gotta admit, not everything about this conversation is working for me. Objectively the resolution, framerate, and texture quality are all higher, but sometimes the image composition just doesn't come together. I think it's the lightning. Let's start with a good example.

*chef's kiss* Perfection. Reunion here looks like a scene straight outta Remake. Love to see it.

Screenshot_20220617-205539.png

Alright, here's an interesting example. We can see from the shadow on Angeal's pauldron that the main lighting source is from behind him. But for some reason Angeal's face is completely lit up as he's looking down and away from it. It isn't cohesive.

Screenshot_20220617-205609.png

Ahhh Lazard. Reunion here just looks odd. His hair is completely lit up. Personally, I would say that the original looks better. Again, high resolution and texture quality don't always make a better image. It also needs to blend together.

lazard.JPG

Leafonthebreeze

Any/All
AKA
Leaf
Yeah I gotta admit, not everything about this conversation is working for me. Objectively the resolution, framerate, and texture quality are all higher, but sometimes the image composition just doesn't come together. I think it's the lightning. Let's start with a good example.

*chef's kiss* Perfection. Reunion here looks like a scene straight outta Remake. Love to see it.

View attachment 12572

Alright, here's an interesting example. We can see from the shadow on Angeal's pauldron that the main lighting source is from behind him. But for some reason Angeal's face is completely lit up as he's looking down and away from it. It isn't cohesive.

View attachment 12573

Ahhh Lazard. Reunion here just looks odd. His hair is completely lit up. Personally, I would say that the original looks better. Again, high resolution and texture quality don't always make a better image. It also needs to blend together.

View attachment 12574
This is a great comparison. With the Angeal shot, from what I remember there's a screen in front of him in that scene (I played most of CC on an emulator in 2020) which explains the weird lighting.

No excuse for Lazard though. I don't care if his fringe moves now, he looks like a Sim :monster:

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith

View attachment 12574

I know this is development footage, but his suit just looks incredibly… flat. At least compared to the other outfit textures in the trailer.

I know it’s a suit and it won’t stand out as much as the knitted textures in Zack and Angeal’s SOLDIER turtlenecks do, but Lazard just looks kinda meh.

waw

Pro Adventurer
That quote wasn't from the Crisis Core trailer part of the stream though?
I know. In both extra excitement and thought, I didn't share any context.

I do think CC is just a remastering, I don't think they're necessarily changing the story. That said, witht he importance of the CC related nods and such in Remake, I can't help but wonder if we'll see greater connections between these two works. Frankly, I don't think it's an accident we're essentially reminded/encouraged to play CC before Rebirth. Rebirth had a white feather in it which I 100% believe to be Angeal's. So, I'm really curious how Reunion will connect to Rebirth.

eleamaya

Pro Adventurer
I said this elsewhere on the forum, but Zack's new En VA sounds a lot more similar to his Jp VA, which is a change I'm personally very pleased to hear. I also welcome the idea of maintaining the continuity.
I do agree with this. I've kept voicing this since 2020.
By this, what I dont like is Tifa's new EN VA since her voice sounds too mature and hush and make a
It'll definitely just be Crisis Core as we know it. This is more of a super-enhanced port so I don't think they're gonna do any crazy story changes to reflect Remake ending stuff. Despite the newly recorded VAs, it seems even the script/localization is 1:1
I won't ask for story change but.... Is adding some new events or scenes possible? I heard there were some that has been cut off due to PSP UMD limitation.
Also, Aerith's dialogue in the trailer is a bit different here. In original CC, she said "Church in the slums" and in reunion she said "It's church". Not a big deal though, still same meaning.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
seeing the models of the wutai bosses from this in the ever crisis trailer makes me think there’s a chance for a remaster of dc so they can reuse those models in ec as well (and this coming out seems to put to rest the idea that gackt’s likeness was causing issues rereleasing it/if there were it’s solved now)

also please bounce some light onto angeal’s face in that briefing scene. the shadows on his cheeks don’t look good enough to seem intentional and look unflattering. just add a faint light source under his face so he doesn’t have these shadowy jowls

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Also, Aerith's dialogue in the trailer is a bit different here. In original CC, she said "Church in the slums" and in reunion she said "It's church". Not a big deal though, still same meaning.

Might have just clipped the line, honestly. Or it's different, equally likely either way.

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
I wonder to which extent CCR and CCEC will overlap. Like, "You wanted a CC remake? Here, have two." Either CCR will deviate from the original at times, or the two games will look (and play) significantly different.

waw

Pro Adventurer
seeing the models of the wutai bosses from this in the ever crisis trailer makes me think there’s a chance for a remaster of dc so they can reuse those models in ec as well (and this coming out seems to put to rest the idea that gackt’s likeness was causing issues rereleasing it/if there were it’s solved now)
DoC Re??? could pop out between Rebirth and Pt III. Remastering an older game (maybe we'll get a BC one too? Doubtful!), doing some new things with the story and then tying it closer to the third part. Wouldn't surprise me.

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
As a Zack fan, I'm happy about this and I hope they add a bit more content because I felt that CC was kind of "bare bones" in a lot of ways. But at the same time, the characters' faces in that trailer just -- look kinda weird.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
i mean, i had to see him making this face and i don't know if you can atone for a crime this grave

q1kmPSH.jpeg

(while looking for that image i googled him and 'church' and there seems to be another caleb pierce who is some sort of religious author/influencer? so maybe he's the one with the dodgy church)

(also found out that the japanese title for fairly oddparents is 'oops! fairy/fairly parents' and i just found it funny they added 'oops!' to the title)

(finding out the japanese voice for wanda is lulu from ffx and it's blowing my mind)
Did a little research today, and it looks like the voice actor Caleb Pierce is indeed a proud member of the Hillsong Church, which is just an awful megachurch that's covered-up child sex abuse and overall is very homophobic, and has even done promotional work for the Church as recently as 2020.
FVaP4GeVsAE01bh.jpeg
FVaQDbPVUAAgC4m.jpeg

Yeah, so I am definitely non-plussed about Zack's new English voice actor, definitely a blemish among all the cool stuff in the Remake Project.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I know. In both extra excitement and thought, I didn't share any context.

I do think CC is just a remastering, I don't think they're necessarily changing the story. That said, witht he importance of the CC related nods and such in Remake, I can't help but wonder if we'll see greater connections between these two works. Frankly, I don't think it's an accident we're essentially reminded/encouraged to play CC before Rebirth. Rebirth had a white feather in it which I 100% believe to be Angeal's. So, I'm really curious how Reunion will connect to Rebirth.

Maybe they'll add in a new alternate-ending and a separate gameplay by collecting certain items or completing certain side quests to get it so that it can be canonically connected to the Remake's universe?

By this, what I dont like is Tifa's new EN VA since her voice sounds too mature and hush.
I won't ask for story change but.... Is adding some new events or scenes possible? I heard there were some that has been cut off due to PSP UMD limitation.

I'm with you on that one. I miss all of the original English cast. Plus the story change could be possible and like I said, they could have built in a new separate gameplay with an alternate ending or something.

DoC Re??? could pop out between Rebirth and Pt III. Remastering an older game (maybe we'll get a BC one too? Doubtful!), doing some new things with the story and then tying it closer to the third part. Wouldn't surprise me.

If they ever do a remaster of Dirge of Cerberus, I won't be playing that either and stick to my PS2 game because they'll just erase the original voice cast from that game as well and bring in the new cast. Also, I've been waiting for a Before Crisis remake for years and even that's still not going to happen. The closest we're going to get regards to Before Crisis is in Ever Crisis.

Reactions: waw

waw

Pro Adventurer
The closest we're going to get regards to Before Crisis is in Ever Crisis.
I'm curious. I feel like to a certain extent, they really want people to experience the full compilation. With all their mobile projects, an updated BC wouldn't be the most unusual thing they're doing.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Hey it's everyone's favorite skybox! From the official website: https://www.jp.square-enix.com/ccffvii_reunion/about/index.html

They also have one of those neat sliders to compare old vs new for one screenshot.

Evergreen Park is in Sector 6, so this is correct. Here's to hoping they don't use this skybox around Aerith's church and Sector 5. Who am I kidding, of course they will! Gotta keep it consistent with Remake :monster:

pic2_l.jpg

Last edited:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Interestingly enough, even though I'm most likely late in hearing about this, but not only did Zack and Aerith's Japanese voice actors got married at some point years ago, but just in April this year, they had a new baby!

Top Bottom