• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Dark Horse Final Fantasy Ultimania Archive

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
90894c1c569ee9cf751b4364cb523a811506944834_full.jpg

Article taken straight from Crunchyroll.com:

Coming in Summer 2018, North American fans will get a chance to collect a comprehensive art book chronicling the history of the first six classic Final Fantasy games thanks to Dark Horse and Square Enix. Oregon-based Dark Horse is announcing their plans for Final Fantasy Ultimania Archive Vol. 1, the first in a series of three books.

Dark Horse describes the book:
Final Fantasy Ultimania Archive is an astonishing journey through the creation of the seminal roleplaying epic, officially licensed for the first time ever!

This holy grail of Final Fantasy fandom is packed full of original concept art, process pieces, and notes from the original artists and designers chronicling the creation of these timeless games. Containing a total of over three hundred pages collected in a high-quality hard-cover binding, Final Fantasy Ultimania Archive Volume 1 remains faithful to its original Japanese source material while simultaneously offering unparalleled accessibility for Western readers. No Final Fantasy collection is complete without this beautiful tome of art, lore, and history.

Final Fantasy Ultimania Archive Volume 1 goes on sale June 05, 2018 and is available for preorder at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, TFAW, and your local comic shop.

A long time coming to be sure, but these will definitely have a home in my game room when they're released!

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Correct. They've also published Amano's "The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy" collection.

I'm so glad Dark Horse finally officially announced this. I've been sitting on this information since July 25th after being sworn to secrecy by a source, and keeping a lid on it has been killing me. :wacky:

Nelxid

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Great news! I was thinking of getting the 30th anniv amano post card sets, but this is surely much better !

And it is planned for 3 volumes, so i guess each volume will cover a decade in FF history?

So hyped for this!

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Not exactly. These books were originally released for the 25th anniversary. The first covered I-VI; the second covered VII-IX; and the third covered X-XIV.

I'm doubtful they'll be updating it to include anything about XV, but we can hope.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Odd news: apparently these books will be getting released in French long before the English translations are available. Mana Books is releasing the first book in their own localization effort tomorrow:

http://www.afjv.com/news/7893_final-fantasy-encyclopedie-officielle-memorial-ultimania.htm

How did we not know this?

Rather amusing is that they're starting with what should be Volume 2 (because of VII, probably).

Well, anyway, for those of you who know French and don't want to wait, you can order this instead. :monster:

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
Not exactly. These books were originally released for the 25th anniversary. The first covered I-VI; the second covered VII-IX; and the third covered X-XIV.

I'm doubtful they'll be updating it to include anything about XV, but we can hope.

Wait so it's just a translation of these books and not new books?

Pixel

The Pixie King
I still get comments on YouTube about it. Someone even got annoyed because I made tifa a better drawer than aerith in the draw my lifes, claiming I was a cloti.

Pixel

The Pixie King
I wonder if there's a German translation in the works. You guys seem to get stuff like novels. Can't remember who published otwtas.

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
Now to wait centuries for individual versions(IX,XIII, etc) provided that they even be considered.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I've only heard that they're more art books, than they are indepth interview logs, so that's a little disapointed. Might still be good for my future coffee table though.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
Dark Horse's website says Vol 2 is coming out December 18, while Penguin Random House's website and Amazon say November 20 for some reason. December 18 is FF's birthday (31 years since FFI, and 6 years since the Memorial Ultimania's Japanese release since they were released on FF's 25th anniv).

I've preordered Vol. 1 because it has some details that I don't think have been officially translated in any capacity before, but I think I'll skip the rest.

Top Bottom