Destrillians Thread of Ideas, Planning and Former Secrets

Baldy

000 - 000 - 009
AKA
Sienna, Jenovas-Fifth, Idris
Heya guys; my turn to add to the discussion. As I mentioned in the other thread a little over a week ago, I started work on a religion to be used as background/cultural information in Destrillians. It’s centered in the Shatterlands, (or Sobek and Pharos,) and also in Iapethus just to the south—but there are little pocket cultures everywhere in the world that practice it, much like our own world.
Feel free to use it as background info in places, but do remember that this is an ancient religion – probably as old as the Shattering itself – and most of the modern world is more inclined to look at it in textbooks and museums than actually take it seriously.

Without further ado, a little teaser:

In the beginning, there was Oe, or “Nothing.” Oe was an ageless thing, terribly old—and terribly lonely. One day, the grief of eternity alone became too much, and he threw all his sadness and pain into one being and turned it into light, and created Lai, “the Beginning.” Lai was beautiful and wise, and the two of them loved each other to unfathomable depths and spent a timeless time together.
Eventually, though, Lai could feel all the life in her bursting to be free of her body. She and Oe had grown lonely once more, even despite each other’s company, but Oe could not create any more life. He had only had enough power for one.
But Lai was full of the life of everything, and she knew it had to be set free. Despite Oe’s pleas to find another way, she exploded and created a thousand stars a thousand times, and a thousand times again. Every star a son or daughter.
Oe desperately tried to save her, but the only thing he could salvage from her body was the first letter of her name, which he took for his own and became Loe, or “the Beginning of Nothing,” or “the End.”

All life is made up of the spirit of Lai. She gave herself so that the world and all that lies beyond the world could be. She resides in every tree trunk, every raindrop, every flame and star and heart. When a thing dies, Loe takes its lifeforce and puts it in “the waiting world,” a paradisiacal land left somewhere deep in unexplored skies by Lai’s exploded body. There the lifeforce lives in bliss until all life in the universe has extinguished, whereupon it will all reunite into Lai. Loe will give the first letter of her name back and become Oe once more, and they will live happily in the paradise of her old, ruined body.

One star, Shale, shone brighter and more beautifully than all the rest. She reminded Loe the most of Lai, and so he placed her in the middle of all her brothers and sisters so he could admire her. But the others grew jealous of Shale and tried to kill her.
To protect her, Loe formed a hard shell of rock and earth around her, where she lived within the hollow center, turned into the form of a woman.
This shell of rock and earth was the planet.

Oh also. Rosenfeld's alive.
No big.
:awesome:

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Edost or Shale?

The name of the planet which our Destrillians, our Humans and our Lyverius call a home. So what is it to be?

Within the countries of Sobek and Pharos - Also known as The Shatterlands - the religion that Sienna has created is at its strongest. Within these areas, pretty much the entire population refers to the planet as 'Shale'. They have been brought up that way. Even those that are not religious still refer to it as such, due to exposure and their surrounding culture.

In the year 6384 AS, Scientists and Astronomers in The Ballenhelm Republic named the world 'Edost', after the Ballenian word 'Dóstiere' which means 'Living World'. The other planets were named with a similar theme. Edost became known, over the years that followed, as the scientific name for the planet. Today, Edost is used within The Ballenhelm Republic as the standard name for the planet, with a few pockets of culture that are exceptions.

In the year 7025 AS (present time) the population refers to the name as one or the other, depending on the local culture and the individual's upbringing. The Shatterlands still use the name 'Shale' with few exceptions and the same is true for Ballenhelm with 'Edost'.
Cerus - located not far south from The Ballenhelm Republic, and east from The Shatterlands - has recently been thrown into a state of turmoil. Religous activists, who have been growing in numbers over the years as Shatterland culture spread across the sea, have begun causing problems within the country. Before now, citizens of Cerus have openly referred to the world by either name with little complaint. Now that the concentration of religious extremists has grown, attacks have been happening throughout the country on those that do not accept the name of their world as the diety-like figure from their own religion. Strong opposers of the religion have begun fighting back. Outside reports have speculated that in the next couple of years, the situation could get out of control.

This is basically the prelude to what will be a full-blown Civil War in Season 3. Expect it to show up occasionally in the background whenever the dessies have the TV or Radio on.

Questions? Ideas?

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
Sigmund Damask suffered from a somewhat mild form of meglomania. As a result, he was a great strategic planner, charismatic, and fanatical to his own ideals (of course, Damascan history downplays this lattermost one). Of course, as this was a psychological disorder, his genetics played a considerable role in his meglomania.

Long story short, the Nephilim Program was trying to resurrect those traits in certain subjects. In Kaden's case, all he gained was a slight strategic acumen. In the case of Alpharius, the first Psilencer, he is charismatic, but the effects of the Psilence counteract this in all beings apart from other Psilencers, and he is also fanatical. However, his fanaticism is towards a little known part of Damascan folklore, which speaks of gods that once walked amongst men...
i hate math ngl

but what would the square root of -1 have to do with anything idgiaa
I first learnt about imaginary number theory when I played The World Ends With You, where one of the villains uses a Lv.i Flare. This strikes everything in its path. Reading up online as what Lv.i actually was, I learnt about imaginary number theory, etc., etc. (The imaginary number is represented by the figure i.)

Imaginary numbers also show up in BlazBlue, where most of the higher-end magi-tek featured uses an imaginary number based "dimensional interference field". This includes one character using what amounts to a Lv.i Barrier in one FMV. One of the scientists in-game, who also has some magical knowledge, refers to "imaginary number space".

Essentially, the Terumi Equation involves/enables manipulation of reality at the imaginary number level. Professor Itsuki Terumi, the creator of the equation, and the basis of the Terumi computer program, realised the full implications of the equation in a way no-one else has been able to in the century since, and went mad from the revelation. That's why the Terumi program was created, as Prof. Terumi realised the implications before he'd finished recording the equation.

The Hephaestus Experiment involved using the Terumi Equation to alter the fabric of space/time, which resulted in them being dislodged from continuity. The "seal" mentioned in one of my earlier posts is actually a field generated by specific Volsung installations across Damascus to confine the effects to Hephaestus.

Incidentally, the weapon that's being tested in Ymir that keeps blowing up is an attempt to weaponise the Terumi Equation. It's not going well, fortunately for all involved.
Btw Kris, any plans you have for a certain corner of Damascus, as far as those wacky provincial supersoldier projects go? :oscar:
None at present, although the Volsung super-soldier facility in that area was destroyed by unknown vandals. :awesome:

...Was gonna include some information about the Psilencer Field (AKA the Psilence PSILENCE WILL FALL), and was thinking of including some stuff about folklore and superstition in Damascus (they're very proud that they're mostly secular, thank the gods =P), but I've worn myself out with TL;DR pseudo-science. XD Next time.

Although I'm gonna have a hard time trumping Sienna and Joe's stuff. =/

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
None at present, although the Volsung super-soldier facility in that area was destroyed by unknown vandals. :awesome:
Unknown vandals, you say?

I don't know nothin' about that, officer. :oscar:

But I was thinking at work today, and methinks some talk should be had about a possible...er, collaboration...between those unknown and TOTALLY SECULAR (looool) vandals that happen to inhabit that area of the world.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
But I was thinking at work today, and methinks some talk should be had about a possible...er, collaboration...between those unknown and TOTALLY SECULAR (looool) vandals that happen to inhabit that area of the world.
You should think about Dessies at work. Cos, if it's anything like my workplace, they don't pay you to actually think about what you're doing. :oscar:

(Seriously... when I make a mistake or oversight, my bosses attribute it to me overthinking things. Ya wut?)

But sure, hit me with whatever ideas you have. :monster:

Dale, query about your androids -- I was thinking things over, and I found myself wondering if they had artifical heartbeats. Cos, I have this idea of Kaden hearing some heartbeats while he and Fioteletis are getting out, and being faintly disturbed by them. After a while, he realises: they're far too regular for the heartbeat of a living thing.

For everyone else - notes on the Psilence Field may not be its actual name if I can think of, or you guys suggest, something better. When I first came up with the idea, I threw some concepts past Dale and Alex (or Dalex, as their fused form is known...) to make sure I didn't make them too overpowered.

Note this isn't an actual wiki article outline, as I try to make the wiki articles sound like in-universe files. XD

As mentioned before, Psilencers possess an inverse psychic gene. This produces a field that dampens nearly all psychic activity within a half-mile radius (if that sounds a lot to some of you... there's a line in The Fugitive where they imply the average speed of Harrison Ford is 4mph. That means one mile can be covered in roughly 15mins, so half-mile combines a certain amount of "get outta Dodge" time with proximity).

As I was saying before I went tangential: the Psilence Field dampens the majority of psychic activity in their vicinity, and with telepathy, functionally 'mutes' it (hence, Psilencers). Humanoids without psychic ability are still affected by proximity to a Psilencer, but only have a non-specific feeling of unease.

The overlapping of the fields generated by multiple Psilencers does not strengthen the effect. Proximity to a Psilencer does, however. Psychics who have been under the effects of a Psilence Field for an extended period tend to experience a psychosomatic fever, and become convinced that they're dying. Further exposure leads to unconsciousness.

For those of you wondering how the Lyverius feel about the Psilence Field... to them, it's no more annoying than having a mosquito buzzing about your head. Although as no Psilencer has ever encountered a Lyverius before, no-one knows that. So yeah, when Psilencers meet Lyverius, the Psilencers are going to be justifiably cocky. And yes, they will die due to it.

- if Emma meets a Psilencer, I'll leave it in your hands how she reacts. :)

Notes on Damascan superstitions and folklore and whatnot (and yes, this is more of a wiki article outline):

~Damascus is currently a secular state, something it prides itself on. However, it has a rich background of religous tradition, which people use without realising - e.g., if you asked a Damascan what he meant when he said "damn it to Avernus", he'd either plead ignorance of the name's origin, or derisively tell you it was the underworld ("...and if you believe in that sort of thing, you'll believe anything...").

~Much as some people cross themselves, a Damascan will often make a warding gesture of the All-Seeing Eye, by forming a triangle with their thumbs and forefingers in front of one eye. Again, most of them will make this gesture half-ignorant of its origins.

~Damascus was made of so many separate tribes and creeds that too many times they found themselves marching to war simply because one of their neighbours maligned a deity or mythical hero, or venerated what they thought of as a demon. Due to this, they developed a term in Old Damascan that referred simply to a supernatural entity, without judging its position morally. Due to regional differences in spelling and pronounciation, this term was recorded different ways. The only two that have been found recorded are "Sidhe" and "Sith" (yes, this is essentially stolen from Gaelic folklore about the "Fair Folk").

~Related to the above, there are recorded poems in Damascus about the Lyverius, that run along similar lines to the fairy tale that Lyle told Terra. In these poems, the Lyverius are portrayed similar to faeries in the original folklore; they're occasionally helpful, often spiteful, and would spirit away your children if you weren't careful (in other words, it all depends on their whim). Of course, none of these poems portray the entirity of the nature of the Lyverius. From some of the fragments, a few Damascans have developed the notion that the Lyverius were physical gods and mankind overthrew them out of jealousy. Alpharius the first Psilencer is one of them.

~Damascus has its urban legends, too. One of the most prominent is that there are hidden tribes in the province of Yaiden. The rumours say that they're an indigenous people from before Damascus was first settled. Of course, this is all taken with a pinch of salt by Yaiden's neighbours, and openly derided by other Damascans.

Baldy

000 - 000 - 009
AKA
When I first came up with the idea, I threw some concepts past Dale and Alex (or Dalex, as their fused form is known...) to make sure I didn't make them too overpowered.

EXTERMINATE.

Anyway.

So in light of the new post, which happens to mention Shilo, I figured I'd explain who the hell Shilo IS, just for those of you who forgot/don't know in the first place.
So she's basically the Dessie that replaced Sierra from S1. She's 000-000-001, the Crystal Candle, aaaand her power is still light. Only Shilo was a completely useless little thing, but that's another story for another day.
tl;dr - life actually sort of worked out for her after she escaped and she wound up working as a nurse in a hospital. Enter Kerr. Wham bam Shilo pieces for everyone. (If you all remember, this is the incident mentioned on the TV near the beginning of S2~)

So yeah, that's that! I'll give a more detailed explanation/bio for her when we get to writing S1, but for now, if anybody feels the need to mention her or reference her (because baaaaaaaaw she's a dead Dessie,) then
yB7aW.jpg
is what she looked like.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Ah

THAT EXPLAAAAAAAINS EVERYTHING

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Yeah we kind of forgot to explain this beforehand. Our bad.

Seriously, you should have seen the OH SHIT moment I had on msn.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Well see the thing is the name seemed familiar to me because I'd seen it on the wiki except there was absolutely no explanation to it

Sooooo yeah

EDIT: So the Erthys issue, yeah?

Hmm I'd mulled over this for a while, and initially I thought I'd have something like him jumping out of the wild bushes, buck naked and with nary a fig leaf for modesty, but after I got over the lolz of that, I'd landed on the idea of him returning in some odd sort of way which wouldn't make him instantly recognisable. He'll probably look quite a bit older (being one of the eldest Destrillians anyway), and the first thing that will probably stand out is that he's completely blind, and that his eyes are completely covered up by some strange-looking implants. He will keep babbling on about "coming back from beyond", and generally only hints at what he's been doing for the past many years by being infuriatingly Zen with his roundabout ways of talking. :monster:

I also have other plans as to the reason why he's returned, but I think I'll leave that up to the point where we cross that bridge. :awesome:

Last edited:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Something to mention to everyone working on ball posts. This is not important to any of you and will only effect my own plots, but just in case any of you might think it interesting to mention,
Natasha will be at the ball.

But as I said, it only has stuff to do with what Noen and I are working on right now.

Baldy

000 - 000 - 009
AKA
No, Tenny, I think it would be interesting to mention - plot points ought to be woven into everybody's periphery, not just one or two people's writing. I'll make a mention of it while Idris and Kerr and poking about the well-to-do, I think. You'll have to remind me what she looks like, though. XD

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Also, a friendly heads-up. If anybody felt like mentioning Shilo after recently discovering more about the character and Idris mentioning her, DON'T.

Do not. Mention. Shilo.

It is pretty damn imperative to the group dynamic that you don't mention Shilo. We still need to iron that bit out but when we do I'll likely post it straight in here.

Again.

For all the dessies know, Shilo is alive and kicking.

Somewhere out at sea.

DON'T DO IT!

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
While not related to the plot or anything, it does have something to do with planning.

The lovely Jemma, who will be designing and making our Destrillians website in the summer, has been sketching some ideas for layouts/colours to start the planning process on the website.

C4ClL.png

Do me a favour and give me your favourite layouts, and your favourite colour schemes. If you have any suggestions then fire away (I personally feel like the perfect one is already up there, but w/e). Go into detail as to why you like/dislike them etc.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Can't have more than one? :monster:

PERSONALLY I'd like a lighter minimalist skin that's sfw although tbh that's just me who needs to get off his lazy butt off the uni computers

Bex

fresh to death
AKA
Bex
I too would prefer a minimalistic skin, simple but elegant with three colours at most.

AKA
L, Castiel, Scotty Mc Dickerson
Colour swatch number 4 is the nicest IMO.
If you need a hand with anything GFX related gimme a shout...not that im saying im good but I just thought i'd be helpful......yeah.

Anyway in terms of castiel related plot planning secrets I feel it's time for me to finally reveal the truth about Castiel.

He does in fact.

Not wear any underwear under his kilt.

Fiona beware!

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
I think I myself would pick 1 or 2. As much as all color selections are pretty neat, 3 and 4 has very little contrast due to the darker backgrounds and I worry about whether or not that will make an impact on reading text, ie. Reading white against grey or grey against desaturated blue might be a bit of an eyestrain.

While black text against white not seem inspired, I think I might have a better time reading that :monster:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I'm stuck on 2 and 4. The layouts are essentially the same but I'm not sure about the color.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
4 with 3's colour scheme. Or failing that, just 4 on its own.

I'm not going to say I'm formally 'back' back yet. But I'm back from my wilderness sabatical and thought I'd throw in an opinion :oscar:

Baldy

000 - 000 - 009
AKA
Number 4 was my first-instinct-favourite, a day or two ago when I took a quick look at this - it's still my favourite.

I'm thinking we have a majority so far, but we'll wait and see a little longer. Of course we can mess a bit with the colour scheme to incorporate any strong opinions and things (ie I agree with Jeff on making sure the text isn't an eyestrain but black on white isn't the only solution,) but for the moment I think we've found a winner.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Top Bottom