• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Devil May Cry 5

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i haven't played 2 but didn't feel like i was missing any vital knowledge (but maybe that's because i don't know what i was missing). i would just play them in numbered/release order.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Does it make sense to play them in release order? Is there a reason to skip some of them? Should I still be aware of things / attempt to consume the game's content?

X :neo:

If you want to play them in chronological order play 3 > 1 > 4 >2 . There's also some anime and manga that can fit in that timeline as well but aren't necessary to get a feel of the setting.

I will say as big of a hater of DmC and Donte as I am , the HD remake actually retooled the gameplay a bit so that it's a bit closer to the combo and skills systems of the original games so it's a bit better gameplay wise

But ooof. If you at all care about the characters... don't play that game.

Last edited:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Does it make sense to play them in release order? Is there a reason to skip some of them? Should I still be aware of things / attempt to consume the game's content?

release chronology is self explanatory, but story chronology goes 3-1-4-2 (I think).

If you're planning on actually playing all of them, I would go 1-3-4 and watch a summary for 2. Or just play 3 and 4 and watch the first two. I have really fond memories of the first game, but I remember it being very difficult. I wouldn't be surprised if it felt really clunky to play by today's standards as well. I recall also trying to play the second one and it was such a downgrade from the fist.

I just ordered a Japanese copy of DmC4 Special for $55, there goes trying to save money :(

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i want to play dmc2 because i remember looking forward to it before it was released but i never managed to get it, and i still want the experience of playing it out of a sense of completion

i was thinking about watching the anime yesterday too before hearing anything about this, maybe i have really useless psychic powers :sadpanda:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
If you have a PS3, there's a HD Collection of 1,2, and 3, and DMC4 isn't hard to find.

Only one plot important thing happens in 2, it's skippable but also quick and easy to play.

DMC has nothing to do with the others, it's a separate continuity.

Re: Trailer

I'm glad to see the old continuity back, but don't know what to make of this yet. I don't know if I like the style. I like Nero, always have (DMC4 is on my list of games played to relax/calm down, along with Metal Gear Rising and Dirge) but I don't know what to make of this yet.

Credo gets mentioned somehow.

Kyrie is alive and fine, but that trailer looks ominous.

I don't ever remember any shopkeepers.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I hardly remember DMC 1 and 2, they felt more like puzzle games to me - lots of wandering around and the occasional crappy fight.

DMC 3 is where it really kicks off and it comes into its own as a high speed 3rd person action game. DMC 4 continues in this vein with a different protagonist / abilities and shit. If you're limited in time, stick to DMC 3 and 4.

https://youtu.be/F0DbezQV8Gk?t=197

ForceStealer

Double Growth
DMC1 was originally supposed to be Resident Evil 4, and you can tell in its design. There are more puzzles and RE's insanely frustrating slow-typing text at the bottom of the screen. But I also prefer its atmosphere to that of 3 (though it makes sense as he's younger in 3), so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
DMC1 was originally supposed to be Resident Evil 4, and you can tell in its design. There are more puzzles and RE's insanely frustrating slow-typing text at the bottom of the screen. But I also prefer its atmosphere to that of 3 (though it makes sense as he's younger in 3), so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A lot of animations are pulled straight out of RE as well, especially stuff where like you find key items or insert them into the doors they inevitably unlock are classic Resident Evil lol.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
So I'm reading this dude

latest

is supposed to be Morrison from the anime aka this dude:

:wacky:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
What is it about Capcom prerendered scene faces? There's just something about it that I can always tell it's a Capcom game. I can't quite put my finger on it and it's not necessarily good or bad just...identifiable. Maybe it's the way they move?

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I know exactly what you mean.

I kinda felt racist while watching a recently shown RE2 gameplay video because I thought the cop at the end of the clip looked like the cop from RE7 ._.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
What is it about Capcom prerendered scene faces? There's just something about it that I can always tell it's a Capcom game. I can't quite put my finger on it and it's not necessarily good or bad just...identifiable. Maybe it's the way they move?

I don't think there's any prerendered scene here.

Eitherway, recently they've been doing photogrammetry for all their faces in RE, so actual people being scanned and stuff. They're doing it for DMC5 too.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
It's also likely that all of these games are running on the RE Engine that makes them look identifiably similar.

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
Right, someone needs to explain wtf is happening with the DMC plotline in relation to this game.

Originally I thought this was the sequel to the prequel but everyone is saying this is actually Nero who may or may not be Virgil's son?

Can someone please summarise wtf has occured XD

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Right, someone needs to explain wtf is happening with the DMC plotline in relation to this game.

Originally I thought this was the sequel to the prequel but everyone is saying this is actually Nero who may or may not be Virgil's son?

Can someone please summarise wtf has occured XD

Yeah it's a sequel to 4, That is Nero. There was some stuff that confirmed that Nero is Vergils son post 4's release(artbooks and stuff), and Neros hand may or may not be Vergils Soul, thus why it getting cut off and stolen by a demon... is a big deal :monster:

edit:

Found the page that confirms Nero and Vergil relation

Q9vWvqJ.jpg

Top Bottom