Dissidia Duodecim Final Fantasy

Splintered

unsavory tart
Eh.

Bash would have been a boring protagonist too (that's right I said it), just more important. I never considered him the main character.

That was Ashe. And maybe Balthier a little bit.

Splintered

unsavory tart
*whispers* They were all pretty boring.

*runs*
final-fantasy-xii-ps2-041_tn.jpg

Balthier disagrees, he's definitely top tier in most awesome characters to come out of FF.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
Balthier was the only good character to come out of FFXII. The others were meh. Vaan doesn't even reach meh status.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Ashe really should have been the main character (as the story revolves around her). Vaan just blends into the background of his own game. And Balthier is teh awesome. More characters like that please.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
This is the part where Mako, if he were around, comes in to tell us that Vaan and Penelo were there to provide a look at how the war affects every day people. Why that justifies him being incredibly boring, or why he's the main character, I don't know. And either Basch or Ashe should have been the main character, but neither of them are interesting either.
The story's entire appeal is political intrigue. Which isn't a bad thing. But a compelling cast would have helped.

As an aside, one question I have about FFXII's voices. They're great, of course, but they have sort of an odd quality to them. Not the acting, I mean the actual sound. Everyone's voice sounds like....I don't know like there's an echo on it? I'm not sure what it is, do you know what I'm talking about?

Last edited:

Splintered

unsavory tart
And it wouldn't have make much sense for him to be the main character
.Really? It's Balthier that pretty much runs the game. Ashe is the plot driver but it's Balthier that pretty much acts as the leader. Plus, his whole story with Cid was kind of important.

Although a lot of the characters were bland. That or you could argue they are less extreme than most archetypes found in FF's. Balthier was definitely the best. I liked Fran and Bash enough but never did anything amazing for me. Ashe had a great story, but she also annoyed me.

Oddly enough, I didn't hate Vaan as much as I pretend to, but he was a big ball of disappointment. Like "HEY GUYS I'M THE MAIN CHARACT- wait where did my relevance go?" He as so ignorable it was irritating. But I'm a huge hypocrite because for some reason, I was very fond of Penelo.

This is the part where Mako, if he were around, comes in to tell us that Vaan and Penelo were there to provide a look at how the war affects every day people. Why that justifies him being incredibly boring, or why he's the main character, I don't know.
Where is Mako? This kind of makes me sad that we are missing part of our "everything sucks now" crew.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Oddly enough, I didn't hate Vaan as much as I pretend to, but he was a big ball of disappointment. Like "HEY GUYS I'M THE MAIN CHARACT- wait where did my relevance go?" He as so ignorable it was irritating. But I'm a huge hypocrite because for some reason, I was very fond of Penelo.

Are you my soul mate? Lol. That's how I feel about it too. I hate on Vaan more than I really hate him. If he weren't the main character, I'd probably not hate him as much. I thought Penelo was cute too.

And I'm not saying Vaan or Penelo have no place in the game, but Vaan is a party member at best. Not the main character.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee

Same, although it was hard for me to feel one way or another about Penelo because even the game didn't seem to care about her. I feel like they just tried to shove her in the wrong role as Vaan's sidekick when her bromance with Larsa was far more interesting (and made her more relevant).

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
This is the part where Mako, if he were around, comes in to tell us that Vaan and Penelo were there to provide a look at how the war affects every day people. Why that justifies him being incredibly boring, or why he's the main character, I don't know. And either Basch or Ashe should have been the main character, but neither of them are interesting either.
The story's entire appeal is political intrigue. Which isn't a bad thing. But a compelling cast would have helped.

POV character!= Main character. There's a line in Revenent Wings where Balthier basically goes "You weren't the main character last time. Now, though, you're the leading man!"

As an aside, one question I have about FFXII's voices. They're great, of course, but they have sort of an odd quality to them. Not the acting, I mean the actual sound. Everyone's voice sounds like....I don't know like there's an echo on it? I'm not sure what it is, do you know what I'm talking about?

It's called Faux British.
But no, I didn't really notice an echo. You mean reverb? I'd have to listen again.

.Really? It's Balthier that pretty much runs the game. Ashe is the plot driver but it's Balthier that pretty much acts as the leader. Plus, his whole story with Cid was kind of important.

He's the leading man for crying out loud.

Although a lot of the characters were bland. That or you could argue they are less extreme than most archetypes found in FF's. Balthier was definitely the best. I liked Fran and Bash enough but never did anything amazing for me. Ashe had a great story, but she also annoyed me.

Where is Mako? This kind of makes me sad that we are missing part of our "everything sucks now" crew.

Again, POV char not always main char or protagonist.

Vaan is as much a main character as C-3PO was in Star Wars: A New Hope.

So... if there's another sequel to FFXII, Vaan will be regarded by a group of tribal hunters as a god?

ForceStealer

Double Growth

Just a random cutscene, but yeah, it's like a reverb on their voices. And no, not the judge, I know he's in a helmet. I mean the main characters - especially Balthier sound like...well, like its been recorded. Like he delivered his lines over the phone?

Notice:I'm not insulting anything here. He's a great voice actor and I don't actually think he phoned in his dialogue. Its just a certain quality to the voice, like a filter or something, that I remember noticing when I first put the game in.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Eh.

Bash would have been a boring protagonist too (that's right I said it), just more important. I never considered him the main character.

OH GOD THANK YOU. I found Basch just as uninteresting Vaan to be quite honest. Tp be frank, I get the impression that the main reason everyone's on his dick all the time is because he fits the "hardened badass" trope. Which is just as stupid as people liking Vaan for being a bishie.

In short, they're both shitty characters.

Strangely enough, I do agree about Penelo for some reason. There was something about her that I found very endearing. I haven't played the game in a while so I can't say why exactly. I think her personality just rubbed off on me better.

Ashe/Balthier/Fran are all characters I can confidently say I liked.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
OH GOD THANK YOU. I found Basch just as uninteresting Vaan to be quite honest. Tp be frank, I get the impression that the main reason everyone's on his dick all the time is because he fits the "hardened badass" trope. Which is just as stupid as people liking Vaan for being a bishie.

In short, they're both shitty characters.

Strangely enough, I do agree about Penelo for some reason. There was something about her that I found very endearing. I haven't played the game in a while so I can't say why exactly. I think her personality just rubbed off on me better.

Ashe/Balthier/Fran are all characters I can confidently say I liked.

I hate you.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Thank God for you ForceStealer, I thought I was the only one who heard that weird effect on all the voices. My brothers thought I was crazy when I tried to show them.

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
I liked Balthier and Ashe, but Fran seemed flat to me, her character and personality weren't well developed. Basch was okay, but he wasn't this awesome badass like some make him out to be. He's go nothing on Ashe and Balthier for sure.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
You say that like there was any doubt of that. Vaan was only added to the XII because they realized Japanese gamers required a bishie to attach to and Basch wasn't gonna cut it.

(And that is a true &%*#in' story before anyone accuses me of being racist, since my stalker always seems to find out. :rage:)

your source is IGN? lol

ForceStealer

Double Growth
your source is IGN? lol

Really Quex? It's a freaking interview, you think they just invented it?

Here's a french source. Happy?
(translation:
Q: Why is a design hero so effeminate?
Akitoshi Kawazu and Hiroshi Minagawa: (Laughter) It's true we do not really know either. What happened is that the previous game in which we worked was Vagrant Story, which was a rather beefy hero in the prime of life had not worked and was not too popular . So we decided to go on a teenager to see if it would interest the public more.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
I don't see anything in that interview that says quite what you said it said. I see then saying Vaan because effeminate because of the target demographic (which to me is FF fans who pretty much expect bishies). That's not quite how you put it.

And no I'm not calling you a racist, just saying hat's what I thought they meant.

Last edited:

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
The website gave me an idea.

In the current tiling system, there's space for four new cards. Tifa, Vaan, Lightning and Kain Fucking Highwind (that's his middle name). They said 4-10 new characters right? What if it's four new heroes, four villains, and two hidden characters they keep secret until release?

Top Bottom