Dissidia English Clips & Translation Discussion

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
That's a bit irrational, guys. VAs are hired to do parts, and the really popular ones are often known for specific parts. So if they get hired, what do you think the employer is expecting? You can't hire a pianist and expect violin music, just like you can't hire JYB and expect him not to sound like JYB.

I know James Arnold Taylor from Ratchet and Clank, and all I'm hearing is Ratchet as I play FFX, but it doesn't really bother me that much.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
That's ridiculous. A voice can be modulated and changed to suit the character. Human vocal range, pitch and tamber is no where near as fixed or as a static as a physical instrument. A good VA should be able to change their voice to fit the character. At least Sabat can modulate his intonation and vocal range to give the cast of characters he does a sense of variety and unique identity. Bosch literally sounds EXACTLY LIKE ICHIGO.

Firion doesn't sound like Firion to me. He sounds like Ichigo cosplaying as Firion. There's no identity. It's the same.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
That's a poor excuse for lazy voice acting Drake. There's nothing irrational about being irritated by a VA who's a one trick pony polluting the industry.

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
That's a poor excuse for lazy voice acting Drake. There's nothing irrational about being irritated by a VA who's a one trick pony polluting the industry.

Well if his voice is what people want, what can you do? The director hired JYB for the part, if the voice he was providing them isn't what they wanted, they wouldn't have kept him on. I doubt they went "well, that's not what we want Firion to sound like, but we already wrote the check so we may as well go with this guy". I get what you're saying, I do, a good VA *should* be able to do different voices. But if a VA is hired and he's asked to voice a character a certain way, well....

I've watched a little bit of footage of VAs recording lines for video games, and when they didn't get it right, they were told so and asked to do it differently. So if this is what makes it into the final product, well, regardless of it the fans like it or not, it must be what the developers wanted. I don't really like the voice either, not because of JYB but because it sounds too "growly" and rough. But still, that's what the makers obviously liked.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Then it's a shit director on top of it.

And who cares what the developers wanted? That's irrelevant. We were criticizing the fact Johnny's voice sounds exactly the same in almost every piece of media he contributes his voice to. I don't see the relevance.

The fact of the matter is, is that he sounds exactly the same, and it's irritating. The character's voice has no identity if it sounds like 10 other people.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Well if his voice is what people want, what can you do? The director hired JYB for the part, if the voice he was providing them isn't what they wanted, they wouldn't have kept him on. I doubt they went "well, that's not what we want Firion to sound like, but we already wrote the check so we may as well go with this guy". I get what you're saying, I do, a good VA *should* be able to do different voices. But if a VA is hired and he's asked to voice a character a certain way, well....

I've watched a little bit of footage of VAs recording lines for video games, and when they didn't get it right, they were told so and asked to do it differently. So if this is what makes it into the final product, well, regardless of it the fans like it or not, it must be what the developers wanted. I don't really like the voice either, not because of JYB but because it sounds too "growly" and rough. But still, that's what the makers obviously liked.

That doesn't excuse it at all.

I'm glad it doesn't bother you but dozens of characters sounding exactly the same from franchise to franchise isn't my cup of tea, and robs the characters of having any sort of unique identity. I don't want to think OH HEY IT'S ICHIGO, when Firion is talking.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum

I'm glad it doesn't bother you but dozens of characters sounding exactly the same from franchise to franchise isn't my cup of tea, and robs the characters of having any sort of unique identity. I don't want to think OH HEY IT'S ICHIGOVASH, when Firion is talking.
Fixed that for ya. :awesome:

Sheva Alomar

I'm Alive and on Fire
AKA
Adri, Sir Integra, Fiona, Sango
The people don't fucking want JYB, the conformist self-proclaimed otakus* do.

otaku = moron

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Fixed that for ya. :awesome:

Yeah, I guess we chose Ichigo since Bleach is still going on and we'll be hearing that voice from that character for a long ass time :monster:

To be honest, Vash doesn't sound exactly like Ichigo. Vash has his own unique sound. It wasn't until Bleach I believe that Bosch just literally stopped trying.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Vash does sound like Ichigo. But only when Ichigo is in comedy mode.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Too bad he couldn't do a good job like he did with Klaus Valca. :'(

Sheva Alomar

I'm Alive and on Fire
AKA

I'm glad it doesn't bother you but dozens of characters sounding exactly the same from franchise to franchise isn't my cup of tea, and robs the characters of having any sort of unique identity. I don't want to think OH HEY IT'S ICHIGO VASH LELOUCH, when Firion is talking.

:monster:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I'll give Bosch credit for the passion, energy, and emotion he puts in his characters.

That suits Firion's character a lot. Very fitting.

Too bad he just ends up sounding like Ichigo though.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
He sounds fine to me.

He's shitting arrogance appropriately.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

I'm glad it doesn't bother you but dozens of characters sounding exactly the same from franchise to franchise isn't my cup of tea, and robs the characters of having any sort of unique identity. I don't want to think OH HEY IT'S ICHIGO, when Firion is talking.

Why should a voice actor change his voice completely every time he voices someone else? That's stupid. That's not how voice-acting works.
Of course he sounds the same because hey, breaking news: IT'S THE SAME VOICE ACTOR. :awesome:

Sheva Alomar

I'm Alive and on Fire
AKA
He doesn't have to change his voice completely, but at least respect each role and mold his acting to the best likeness within his abilities.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Hell no, he isn't Tetsujin. And seriously, that's silly to expect he sound the same in every role he does.

What's the point of acting if you don't even act?

Top Bottom