Dissidia English Clips & Translation Discussion

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Why should a voice actor change his voice completely every time he voices someone else? That's stupid. That's not how voice-acting works.
Of course he sounds the same because hey, breaking news: IT'S THE SAME VOICE ACTOR. :awesome:

Are you being sarcastic? Because that's dumb.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I mean, I thought it was obvious that you tailor your voice to the role, like all of the good voice actors do, the ones who actually get accolades for their work.

Comparing voice acting to actual live acting is asinine. You change your voice and tone for the role in Voice Acting unlike acting in person for hollywood. But hell, actors do the same for live action production too.

This just sounds like bullshit reasoning excuses an actor's use of the same generic voice from project to project.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
See also: Keanu Reeves, Nicholas Cage, Jessica Alba....

Why do you think actors use make up, special effects, etc to change their appearance, voice, and everything else when taking a role?

So they don't look/sound like themselves and give the roll they have its own identity.

The same level of immersion, talent, and identity is needed for voice acting.

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I don't think people would give much of a shit if it wasn't exactly the same voice that he's used dozens of times already. Especially when we know he's capable of better.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Are you being sarcastic? Because that's dumb.

No, it's not. He sounds perfectly fine for me imo.

Maybe he just uses the same voice because it's that exact same voice that fits those type of characters? :awesome:

Not that I really care, I've only ever heard him as Nero. :monster:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
That was dumb reasoning Tet. And he doesn't sound fine for me because I've heard that same voice, the exact same voice time and time again.

It's like he's not even trying to make the role stand out anymore.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
The only roles I've heard Bosch in were DMC4 and then a little bit of Lelouch. DMC4 was fine, don't particularly care for his Lelouch, and I'm not massively impressed by his Frioniel :awesome: I just listened to a sample of his other work on YouTube, and I just think he's not really to my tastes.

Emperor sounds alright, though.

Last edited:

XwingsofaresX

わたし は つか
:lol:i dont know why everyone's arguing but its entertaining sometimes.

JYB's voice is fine. its good.:joy:

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
HAY GAIZ AT LEAST WE DON'T HAVE VIC MANGINA VOICING ANYONE. :awesomonster:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
:lol:i dont know why everyone's arguing but its entertaining sometimes.

JYB's voice is fine. its good.:joy:

Yeah, it is a good voice. He sure thinks so. He uses it for every damn character he does!

The same one. Again and again. Gee golly Ms. Molly, it's so great to know that Le Louch, Vash, Ichigo, Nero, and Kaneda all sound the same! Nothing helps me enjoy my anime more than hearing the same voice for everyone. :monster:

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
There's still time for this Vic guy to appear as well, they haven't revealed all the characters yet :monster:

I don't think I've ever heard him though.

Yeah, it is a decent enough voice.
Fixxed :awesome:

The same one. Again and again. Gee golly Ms. Molly, it's so great to know that Lelouch, Vash, Ichigo, Nero, and Kaneda all sound the same!
Legitimately fixed :awesomonster:

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
There's still time for this Vic guy to appear as well, they haven't revealed all the characters yet :monster:
Then I'll continue to pray to the FSM that he's not allowed to. :awesome:

And that Karen Strassman can be Terra.:flipmonster:

wayfarer

ACF Refugee
AKA
Fenrir/Cerberus
shouldn't each video feature the character's voice actor? wouldn't that be more appropriate?

Gale

Read My Mind
I probably wouldn't be bothered at all if I had never heard JYB before. I find his voice fitting, it's just that he's such a prominent voice actor that you can always spot him, and that's a little disappointing.

I'd even call Bosch a talented voice actor. It's not that he's wooden (Mena Suvari?), since he's pretty good at sounding convicted when he's uttering the absolute nonsense shounen anime dialogue is known for. It's just that he has success at using funny voice (Vash most of the time), serious voice (Ichigo), and younger voice (Renton). Voice directors see that, see that it worked, and he ends up doing the same thing again.

It's the same reason Steve Blum and Crispin Freeman end up having very similar sounding characters. US voice actors are a pretty small group, so at some point it ends up being more of the same. It's unfortunate but seems like more of a sign of the industry than the actors themselves.

But at the end of the day I rather have Bosch, who even if I recognize can at least deliver lines with some ability, than someone who just isn't interested and doesn't act. However, blame with that probably lies more with the director - there's a lot of va's who have done incredible dubs in one game/anime only to sound half-assed in something else.

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
Good points Gale. I admit I may not mind Firion's voice because I've never watched an anime with JYB in it. And yes, thank god Mena Suvari and her dull, high-pitched wooden voice isn't in this game, unless...dear *god*, if they get her to voice Terra, I will take a knife to my wrists. I despite Suvari, Andrea Bowen did a far superior job. Now Bowen as Terra, hm, interesting....I think that could possibly work.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Good points Gale. I admit I may not mind Firion's voice because I've never watched an anime with JYB in it. And yes, thank god Mena Suvari and her dull, high-pitched wooden voice isn't in this game, unless...dear *god*, if they get her to voice Terra, I will take a knife to my wrists. I despite Suvari, Andrea Bowen did a far superior job. Now Bowen as Terra, hm, interesting....I think that could possibly work.
Generally I cannot see someone who voiced Aerith as voicing Terra. I'd prefer someone else who could do innocent/emotionally confused better (like Karen Strassman, who played androids/valkyries coming to terms with feelings and emotions they felt.)

My opinion of course. :awesome:

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
Generally I cannot see someone who voiced Aerith as voicing Terra. I'd prefer someone else who could do innocent/emotionally confused better (like Karen Strassman, who played androids/valkyries coming to terms with feelings and emotions they felt.)

My opinion of course. :awesome:

If Maaya Sakamoto can voice someone like Lightning, I don't think it's implausible for Andrea Bowen to do Terra. ;)

Last edited:

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
If Maaya Sakamoto can voice someone like Lightning, I don't think it's implausible for Andrea Bowen to do Terra. ;)
Maaya Sakamoto is an amazing seiyuu though. She's had a great range of characters like Haruhi Fujioka from Ouran and Chrona from Soul Eater to feminine characters like Aerith Gainsborough and Kiyomi Takada from Death Note. Whereas Andrea Bowen has had much fewer roles in comparison.

Not saying she wouldn't be good, I just really like Karen Strassmen and would like to see her as Terra because I think her profile of characters fits. Generally, that's what you try to look for when you try to find a fitting character.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Last edited:
Top Bottom