Elden Ring

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
Man, those scores are something, but I have to wonder if I'd like it. My only Souls experience was Bloodborne, and I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I'm just an outlier.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
The footage all looks like every other souls game to me :lol: Obviously for fans of the series that's a good thing, but as someone who rather enjoyed the original release of Demon's Souls but felt I had my fill of it after, this won't have any special call to me, I don't think.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Reviewers say that PC version of the game has rough performance, pick console version for more stable experience until it's patched. That said, the reviewers were all playing on a pre day-one patch, which might fix some things (but wouldn't hold my breath in thinking all problems will magically vanish with that.

For performance on console:

Performance:
  • XSX: 45-50fps
  • PS5: 55-60fps
Quality:
  • XSX: 35-45fps
  • PS5: 40-45fps
Overall for best 60fps performance pick the PS4 (disc/digital) version and play it back-comp on PS5. And you can upgrade to the PS5 port for free in case they fix it!

I've been taking it slow and exploring as much as I can in the first area (and I played the network test, so I'm probably being exceptionally slow in making progress lol). This is the first time playing a game in the series on release, not years afterwards, so I'm trying to go in as blind as possible.

It is very Dark Souls, so idk how people who aren't into that will feel about this game. Like if someone just doesn't like Souls combat at all then this probably won't change their minds. However, with the open world aspect there's always stuff to do, so there's more freedom in that respect (to explore and come back to something later, get stronger, find stuff to help you, etc).

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i was going to wait for this because dark souls 1-3 and bloodborne got dlc, so i thought i would wait for a potential goty release. but demons soul and sekiro didn't get dlc (although i did manage to get a copy of sekiro with the free updates on the disc)

anyway i didn't wait and got this now, which would be the first souls-y game i could play close to release (if i start it straight away, which i might not)

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
I have a lot of respect for the Dark Souls games, but elements of them are too frustrating for me to stick with to completion (spending 5-10 minutes going through enemies just to get one chance on a boss that I’ll die immediately to is definitely frustrating…)
Sekiro’s verticality and insanely fun combat made it easier for me to stick with, but I have to say Elden Ring has just totally fixed any issues I had with the genre. I am never frustrated when I play Elden Ring, and it’s not an easy game. I’m now fifty hours into it and it feels like I’m just scratching the surface.

It has mechanics I’ve longed to see in open worlds for a long time. Each area is designed in a way that’s radically different from anywhere else in the world, which makes exploring feel rewarding. When you find traditional Souls “dungeons,” they’re dense enough to spend hours in, making it feel like there’s a lot of content in very small amounts of space in the world map. It uses its world maps’ space very efficiently in that sense. In addition, each area has had surprises that have genuinely floored me - the subterranean area in particular just gets more and more intriguing the more you uncover it over the course of many hours.

The minimal, unobtrusive approach to UI is also rewarding, as it makes me realize just how bloated the UI of other open world games are. I find an increasing issue in games is that people explore worlds by staring at a mini-map rather than experiencing the game world, but Elden Ring’s minimalist approach makes me focus entirely on the world. It’s a crazy good game.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Just completed Lyndell. The quality of the level design of that city is out of this world. From the city wall, to the building interiors, the rooftops, alleys and streets, courtyards, and sewers. All interconnected and full of surprises. The hardest Elden Ring boss to me is trying to retain in my mind the complexity of these large scale "dungeons". I can feel the space stretch my brain.

And the beauty! Loved the aesthetic of the city all round. The golden roofs, petrified dragon, and botanic rooms. Favorite part of the game so far.

And this is just one section of the game. Elden Ring overflows with generosity.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
It's only cheating if it's not possible through conventional means, :monster:

I'm >100 hours in and still nowhere near finished (either with the story or the game itself). And since off course it has multiple endings, I will be playing some more later on, :awesome:.

I mean IIRC Bloodborne and DS 3 both took me about 60 hours to complete first time around - or maybe that was my last time playing, platinuming it and all. This game takes at least twice as long just to finish normally, assuming you do a bit of exploring but why wouldn't you? Any veering off the path, any exploration is rewarding one way or another, anywhere from e.g. a rune item to unlocking a whole new dungeon or zone.

This is multiple lives' works, I'm telling you. And people complained about the graphics. Hmph.

AvecAloes

Donator
I just started last night, and played for about an hour. I was having some difficulty keeping track of the controls, but hopefully that’s just something that will get better the more that I play it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
I have no idea what just happened, but I watched it all anyway

Edit: someone explained in the comments
An explanation of the insanity that is this run: First off, this is an any% unrestricted speedrun which means the game must be beaten by any means humanly possible. This is done on current patch (1.03) because it is the most stable
The star of the show in this run are the zips. A zip is performed by guarding and then walking at a specific time afterward for a specific number of frames. These are frame perfect. The zip is caused by the specific way the walking and guarding animations overlap. Zips are reliant on hardware (and are therefore only allowed in unrestricted runs) and lower resolution makes them more consistent. Macros are not allowed, these are done manually.
The class chosen is the Vagabond because with the halberd equipped the character is heavy which allows for farther zips.
Exiting and reloading is used throughout the run to skip some animations and because the leaderboards are based on in-game time. So even if exiting and reloading to skip an animation takes more time than the animation does, quitting saves time as far as the speedrun is concerned.
The first objective is getting to the Four Belfries. There is a zip to Stormveil from the starting location. Then, from Stormveil to Raya Lucaria. Here the zip is aimed into the terrain to bounce in the correct direction with the right amount of distance height. Finally, a zip from Raya Lucaria to Belfries.
The Belfries are important because one of the gates goes to Farum Azula. Farum Azula cannot be zipped to because it is not loaded in unless you get there legitimately. After going through the gate, a wrong warp is performed. A wrong warp can be performed in a few different ways. In this run, a memory of grace is used to return to the grace that has just been teleported to, and then the game is force-quit. This causes the game to lose track of the player's location but it knows the player should be in Farum Azula and so it places them in the default Farum Azula location.
In Farum Azula, there is a zip as far into Farum Azula as you can get and then running to the second zip location. This zip goes all the way to the Maliketh arena.
Zips are used to kill Maliketh. It takes three zips to kill each of Maliketh’s phases. A short zip is performed up to a ledge. Another short zip is performed to get outside the arena. Then, a long zip is performed to get enough distance to kill Maliketh. At a specific point in the fall, a plunging attack is performed to extend the fall timer so that Maliketh will die before the player. Again, this set of zips must be performed twice.
After this, there is a zip to the Godfrey arena. Here, Elden Beast is loaded in during the Godfrey fight and by zipping through the arena, activating the Godfrey fight, and going far enough away, Elden Beast will die (as a side effect, this also kills Godfrey’s first phase). And that’s the run.
Hope this was helpful. This run is insane.

Last edited:

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
I think I’ve just now been to every area in the world map (as far as I know) and I’m 87 hours into the game. I don’t even remember the last time I’ve put that many hours in a single player action RPG like this, and that’s my favorite genre. For me, that metric is insanely impressive - the fact the game has its content spread over that many hours is something I haven’t seen so effectively before.

I suspect that the amount of content is actually probably similar to other open world RPGs, just that they consolidated and designed them in a way that feels much more substantial. There’s hundreds of different keeps and castles in Skyrim, all of which aren’t too memorable. I think there are only a handful in Elden Ring, but they feel much more intentionally designed, to the point where each one feels like a memorable experience. The same is true of the land - each square foot of the land was designed with intention, making it more memorable to interact with. In other open world games, you pass through large swathes of land without thinking about what you’re seeing.

To make a game feel big, I think the player just needs to be able to get some level of meaningful interaction on small amounts of spaces. If a world is large, but they just move through it and forget large areas of it, it feels small. Dense and small is better than large and void, and Elden Ring is quite dense.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I'm at the tail end of Daek Souls 3 and the way From Software does aset reuse is really clever and contributes to the atmosphere very well. I haven't looked at too much so as not to spoil - how much connection does Elden Ring have to the Dark Souls universe?

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Having only played halfway into Sekiro and DS1, and just the opening of Bloodborne, Elden Ring is really good for me to really sink my teeth into because I don't notice the environment asset reuse at all. Makes it feel like even crazier of an achievement of a game.

Also, it turns out I still had one more area to discover when I said that earlier. Now I've actually completed the map....I think.

Top Bottom