• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Faith v. 3.0 (Cloti Club)

JT77fp

Lv. 25 Adventurer
I feel SE does this alot for their female leads (i.e. Garnet is a babe-alicious / the prettiest girl in Alexandria etc. It's always been one of the things I found annoyingly anime and archaic about SE's work when it pertains to describing women) and someone had to leave a comment that said "Too bad Cloud doesn't find her attractive at all"
You know the funniest thing, I never even gave a second thought to Tifa's looks for years after the OG. They were all just blocks to me! When I eventually started reading online stuff about FF7, there were the usual "boobs!" discussions, but again I thought her exaggerated proportions were deliberately comical. I didn't pay much attention to it.

She's stunningly animated now of course, but I can honestly and without bias say that I liked her for her character. Lol.

@Phantasia AoT has a LTD??? Like who, where...huh? I must have missed something.

Phantasia

Pro Adventurer
@Phantasia AoT has a LTD??? Like who, where...huh? I must have missed something.

Well, you definitely missed A LOT. It was awful, and worse than everything I've seen in the FF7 fandom, by far (and I've been around for a while).

Funny thing is, there is one big similarity between both LTD, that goes in hand with the topic/rant we are discussing right now...

Even after one of the ships was 100% confirmed in the last chapter of the manga, people were still denying it, like literally rejecting at was shown, and coming with theories about why that was not true, and harassing the editor on his PERSONAL account asking him "why did he make the author change the ending", even after the thing was officially published, with the drafts. People just cannot let go.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
Anyway, I'm really interested in this as a psychological aspect of shipping. What pushes people to go these lengths and be aggresive and disrespectful with the story itself and the fandom?
I can tell you this particular topic is something that morbidly fascinates me (clearly I’m some kind of masochist or something for willingly exposing myself to this crap) so you can check the LTD thread for my rants on that if you haven’t already lol

Humming

Pro Adventurer
Well, you definitely missed A LOT. It was awful, and worse than everything I've seen in the FF7 fandom, by far (and I've been around for a while).

Funny thing is, there is one big similarity between both LTD, that goes in hand with the topic/rant we are discussing right now...

Even after one of the ships was 100% confirmed in the last chapter of the manga, people were still denying it, like literally rejecting at was shown, and coming with theories about why that was not true, and harassing the editor on his PERSONAL account asking him "why did he make the author change the ending", even after the thing was officially published, with the drafts. People just cannot let go.

Ah AoT, the only time I browsed fan sites (like reddit) was after the finale. It was an absolute shit storm.

I can tell you this particular topic is something that morbidly fascinates me (clearly I’m some kind of masochist or something for willingly exposing myself to this crap) so you can check the LTD thread for my rants on that if you haven’t already lol

Will do! I plan on reading most of this thread and the LTD too on my spare time because welp, I guess I'm a shipper too and want to have a better grasp the whole dynamics from the OG and the remake, but I promise I won't be as self entitled and toxic as some users are on Twitter hahahahaha. I think aggresive shipping is a curious way of projecting oneself into either one of the characters or the sum of both, and that's why some people feel 'attacked' and forced to build walls that restrain every piece of canon information that can shatter that illusion of being right.

On the other hand, shipping pushes creativity a lot, and I really enjoy browsing through fanart in general from that specific dynamic. It really makes up for the few toxic fans roaming social networks.

frosty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Snowman
JT77fp said:
You know the funniest thing, I never even gave a second thought to Tifa's looks for years after the OG. They were all just blocks to me! When I eventually started reading online stuff about FF7, there were the usual "boobs!" discussions, but again I thought her exaggerated proportions were deliberately comical. I didn't pay much attention to it.
LOL In the OG all I had was their character description for context i.e. Aerith was described as "Beautiful and mysterious" and Tifa was "don't let her looks fool you". But, no one even had a nose in the field models, and Aerith and Sephiroth's praying-mantis-arm-bangs, as well as "boobs!" always cracked me up.

humming said:
What pushes people to go these lengths and be aggresive and disrespectful with the story itself and the fandom?
a) Their own belief system regarding what constitutes romantic love and how important romantic love is to them

Common beliefs held by (some) women: I believe a person can only love The One for a lifetime because soulmates and what not. A man only truly loves a woman if he's is willing to change, then do everything and anything just to be with the woman (say, moping for 2 years, and contemplating suicide?). If romantic love is very important to a woman, then these beliefs will be extrapolated into every story they come across. (The self-insertion bit)

b) Then feeling attacked when their belief system, which is inherently personal, is challenged or proven wrong with a different POV.

The same reasons why people are aggressive in politics, conspiracy theories, and vaccinations really, because their feelings > facts

Humming

Pro Adventurer
Btw what are your expectations with the new light novel?

I guess it will take some time until we have a fan translation (and a lot more for a western release), but is there any interview or info talking about what past events from both girls will the book cover?

Edit: I forgot this was the Cloti thread, my bad :wacky:

I wouldn't mind if the book focused on the girls and just that, but some insight on Tifa's thoughts (if it takes place before her going to Midgar) may show if she used to think sometimes about Cloud in a nostalgic way even though they weren't really close. I don't know, either way it's really nice to have the opportunity to take a direct look at the character's thoughts.

Last edited:

frosty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Snowman
humming said:
Btw what are your expectations with the new light novel?
Mixed feels about the novel, because usually what they put in the novels are things that don't make it main pieces of media i.e. the game/dlc.

For Aerith:
Too high hopes, but I like to see how she describes the world / the people around her i.e. the Turks, her friendship with Kyrie, her relationship with her mother, cameos of Miss Folia, the Leaf house etc. and for it to be narrated in the form of letters to Zack.

It doesn't have to be inherently romantic, but I could be a neat way to nod to the canon of CC, OG, Remake, The Kids Are Alright. 89 letters over the course of 5 years could almost be a diary. If I trusted Nojima (and localization) more as a writer, the tone and manner of how these letters are written could also show her evolving / maturing from age 16 - 22.

For Tifa
I'm thinking it's going to be a straight forward Nibelhiem to Midgar story.

Again, I don't trust Nojima to give a realistic take but Tifa's been consistently portrayed as the pretty/desired-after girl in every piece of FF7 medium so far, so I'd like to see her develop some tongue-in-cheek street-smartness about her looks. Clearly in FF7R she knows can score freebies and that she thinks has a good shot at cajoling information out of Don Corneo. :D

What would also be nice:
1. How Marle set her up, because from the DLC it seems Marle has been dispensing great advise to young women in sector 7!
2. The elevator pitch Barret delivered to to convince her to join AVALANCHE
3. Think there was an early unused scene of the day Cloud left Midgar, and before he left, he lingered to see if Tifa would come say bye to him. Her POV would be charming. (I cannot remember where I came across this... if it was unused scenes, or an old interview? But yea)

Mostly I'm just really keen to see how all these 50+ year old men at Square write (or botch?) the POV of two young girls :desu:

Eerie

Fire and Blood
OMG the light novel is an absolute FEAST guys! This person is translating stuff!

Like this:

- Tifa's had a SURGERY for her scar! The doctors robbed her total savings though, that were to be used to buy 7th Heaven - she wanted it for Barret and Marlene!

- Before her mum (named THEA) died, Tifa and Cloud were actually... CLOSE? Cloud helped to find Tifa's cat, and Tifa's mum said Cloud looked charming, which made Tifa happy because... she liked him

- Cloud's mum knew Cloud liked Tifa

Also, to stay on topic:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh this is so good I can't believe it~~ Now these are quick translations floating in Twitter but this novella is so good to us~~

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
OMG the light novel is an absolute FEAST guys! This person is translating stuff!

Like this:

- Tifa's had a SURGERY for her scar! The doctors robbed her total savings though, that were to be used to buy 7th Heaven - she wanted it for Barret and Marlene!

- Before her mum (named THEA) died, Tifa and Cloud were actually... CLOSE? Cloud helped to find Tifa's cat, and Tifa's mum said Cloud looked charming, which made Tifa happy because... she liked him

- Cloud's mum knew Cloud liked Tifa

Also, to stay on topic:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh this is so good I can't believe it~~ Now these are quick translations floating in Twitter but this novella is so good to us~~
I immediately thought of you when I saw all of that going around lmao

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I love that description of the hug scene, it feels like a part of a novel, focusing entirely on their emotions. I guess that, it does show that true!Cloud does surface there (eh, @KindOfBlue), but also... what did you feel, Cloud?? Lol it almost feels like a set up for the Highwind scene lol.

frosty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Snowman
Reading the link @Eerie posted

Tifa was raised an old-fashion house wife/woman in their town. Tifa's weakness is not saying how she really feels stems here. She is canonically very attractive and at times it bothers her. Getting Tifa was "a success trophy". She dislikes, so she keeps trying hard to be strong.

I was just saying how I was kind of meh meh how the compilation likes to talk about Tifa being pretty for the sake of being pretty, but...she has self awareness about it? And tries to avoid a situation where she's a trophy wife/gf and strives to be stronk/independent? Good Square, good Nojima. :P

@Odysseus

Cloud tries to wrap his arms around her, he does so slowly at first but takes the plunge and hugs her. Moreso than conveying thoughts to tifa, a part of him that he hid in the recesses of his mind comes to light, where he always wanted to be a cool hero who can save Tifa. He finds happiness he was able to do this for her.

Or rather, it becomes something akin to a blunder of youth that Cloud has never experience, which leaves a bittersweet memory. A small smile of satisfaction crosses his face.
:) It's rare that Cloud's thoughts are written out like this.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Well, the reason for the hug in itself isn't romance though, but I did say that the surroundings were giving a romantic vibe to it. I guess I was giving too much credit to people in reddit saying it's not romantic at all lol and could see where they came from :mon:

But what makes me laugh is.. this is the Ultimania. The way it's described, it reads like a fanfiction describing the scene :awesome:

Also, I was thinking about how Nojima intertwined Zack and Aerith, and how he's doing it again in the novella for cloti; think about it, Cloud and Tifa search for her cat when they are kids, search for cats in Midgar. Both mums appreciate the other child. Both crush on each other without knowing the other does. Etc. Etc. He's really going full force lol.

Humming

Pro Adventurer
I WAS RIGHT
I remember arguing with the entire thread here that I thought that the hug is very obviously suppose to be romantic and everyone was like nu uh it's platonic WHICH MAKES ZERO SENSE :mon:

I always thought it was a strange mix of friendship and more romantic feelings, the fact that the devs already confirmed earlier that Cloud was struggling against his awkward self to comfort Tifa because he wanted to do what Barret was able to is crucial. He wants to be there for her and if a friend like Barret can give emotional support showing physical affection, why wouldn't he do the same?

Also, he was quiet for most of the scene, and it can be also because of he being a dumbass AND because he already told her that he was willing to listen to her if she needed to talk. The scenography, on the other side, I interpreted it as an attempt to show that it wasn't only a cutscene where Cloud was just a friendly shoulder to cry on.

@Eerie with that info about their mothers, Nojima just screwed what I see as a recurrent Clerith point: Cloud's mom asking him to find an older woman that treats him like a silly goose.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
I love that description of the hug scene, it feels like a part of a novel, focusing entirely on their emotions. I guess that, it does show that true!Cloud does surface there (eh, @KindOfBlue), but also... what did you feel, Cloud?? Lol it almost feels like a set up for the Highwind scene lol.
I just wanted some official confirmation about that scene, and SE really just said “here you go…but WAIT, THERE’S MORE…!!” with that new novella lmao….I swear if I don’t see the stuff in the book shown in the remake somehow, I might be even more annoyed than I am about “Case of Tifa” not being shown in AC, but hey, it’s something!

Eerie

Fire and Blood
@Eerie with that info about their mothers, Nojima just screwed what I see as a recurrent Clerith point: Cloud's mom asking him to find an older woman that treats him like a silly goose.

In Remake, Cloud's mum talks about someone more mature, not someone older (mistranslation, you are the bane of us). And since Tifa is more mature (and she did dress in a more mature fashion, hoping to meet up with Cloud...), well it could be a reference to both. Now that we know that Claudia knew Tifa was special to Cloud though... it would have been her urging him to meet up with Tifa, and him misunderstanding since Tifa is younger than him ;)

I just wanted some official confirmation about that scene, and SE really just said “here you go…but WAIT, THERE’S MORE…!!” with that new novella lmao….I swear if I don’t see the stuff in the book shown in the remake somehow, I might be even more annoyed than I am about “Case of Tifa” not being shown in AC, but hey, it’s something!

I have bad news for you... their story is told across several mediums, but rarely intersect :(

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
I have bad news for you... their story is told across several mediums, but rarely intersect :(
Ah yes the “Marvel movies are mentioned in the Marvel Netflix shows but the Marvel Netflix shows aren’t mentioned in the Marvel movies” thing…it annoys me every time, there’s so much great characterization and worldbuilding that’s easy to miss with stuff like this.

But y’know, at least it’s Nojima writing the novel. Even if we don’t get to see this stuff actually played out or referenced, at least it’s canon that it happened and it gives a pretty good insight into what the creators’ intentions are. :shrug:

Humming

Pro Adventurer
Top Bottom