• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FF Newbie Starting FF7 original

• Thread starter Deleted member 13557
  • Start date

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Okay but how much of that stuff is crucial or really even relevant in getting the full experience out of FF7? That's what I'm thinking of when I think of missables. Being locked out of quests or content. Maybe significant spells like summons. The Cursed Ring is downright broken so I guess that can be fun.
But I missed a chance to buy an Iron Bangle? How will my experience ever be complete?! :desucait:

You see, the only canon playthrough is the one where you buy 99 iron bangles. They melt them down to use as building materials to build Edge in AC. Check your fax bro.

Last edited:
You see, the only canon playthrough is the one where you buy 99 iron bangles. They melt them down to use as building materials to build Edge in AC.
2550de882d83f7401dffd93acfb3f15b.gif

Best lore

ForceStealer

Double Growth
....I just think the argument that “he resisted the corrupting influence of a million-year-old-Space-Nyarlathotep-with-no-master-save-its-own-insatiable-hunger-for-souls because he was just too awesome” is kind of a head scratcher

I think the argument is more that the Cetra kicked her ass and then locked her in a hole for 2,000 years, which left her in a rather fragile/braindead state than Sephiroth's specific awesomeness.
Or, put another way:
SdxlgeIV1fJpBZfVDr9H31QNuc_ATv7j4aqdt6FtvH8qYNVV9WsTBSdhJ6tWjBikrkW5dBxzmjVSr7gPQMPVsjmDxQEdgsjy

After all, why didn't she immediately attack Gast and the other researchers that dug her up?

Last edited:

Fangu

Great Old One
Re: guide or not, I'm doing a playthrough right now and I'm pondering whether or not to stick to a guide or not. I've been using the jegged.com one, which is fine, it's not completely accurate but it's pretty nice with the pictures and icons used. But now I'm finding myself just blankly copying from the guide (I became a bit obsessed when I realised I'd missed the Magic Up materia and decided to reload a save to get it) and tbh... it's not the same as going into it "semi-blind". (I've played this game a few times before but with years apart, plus I tend to forget things, so it does still feel quite fresh.) I make a point out of playing new games blind because tbh I feel like it's the only proper way to explore a game (for me), but having played FF7 before... I allow myself a guide. But now I'm thinking.... skip it? idk.

/ rant

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
If it's your first playthrough, I absolutely would suggest not using a guide. Or maybe one that is very clearly spoiler-free (to prevent "point of no return" screwups, etc).

After that, go hog-wild

D

Deleted member 13557

I really like this game but I will admit that understanding it has given me a headache, lol.

I've actually wrote down some FF7 notes in notepad to remind me about specific stuff lmao, I might post that here to see if that is even correct.

Gonna do my "100%" run (I.e all summons, all caves explored, all Weapons defeated, all ultimate weapons, all lvl 4 limit breaks) and then I'll proceed to watch AC. After watching one of Maximilian Dood's videos on FF7 he stated that there's a version of AC that's like 15 mins longer and is a bit better, or something.

Then I'll watch a playthrough of CC and I might look at some DoC stuff. Apparently DoC is kinda eh from what I've heard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I'm pretty sure if you look hard enough you could find a ROM and emulator for both games. Thankfully they're not Nintendo derived, so they haven't been erased from the internet. :monster:

Watching just won't confer the same experience. I hope you can maybe find them somehow!

D

Deleted member 13557

So is the reason why Sephiroth has such a stranglehold on Jenova project victims and even Jenova itself because he was injected with its cells in utero, and because he was the first exposed to it (bar the Cetra)?

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
So is the reason why Sephiroth has such a stranglehold on Jenova project victims and even Jenova itself because he was injected with its cells in utero, and because he was the first exposed to it (bar the Cetra)?

More the former. The fact that they were injected in utero means they are as much a part of him as his own blood. Jenova is quite literally a second mother to him. He has an instinctual control over their power, to the point where he knew from a young age that he was special based on observation (other people were slower and weaker compared to him) but didn’t know why. After he learns the truth and goes for his little 5-year swim in the lifestream, he’s able to unlock the cell’s potential and use Jenova’s abilities such as mind control and transformation. Or something.

Edit: Yes people in SOLDIER have glowing eyes which is a big tell for those who know what they signify. It’s possible that Elmyra has seen a SOLDIER (or two) before since Aeris tends to fawn over them. Cloud’s glowing eyes are from Hojo’s experiments after Sephiroth burned down Nibelheim.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
On using a guide: Yeah, try not to use a guide on your first playthroughs for immersion, but do whatever you want to enjoy the game, yadda yadda

Here's some reasons I enjoy doing using a guide to do a perfect playthrough:

1) It's cathartic. I love just hanging out in the world of FFVII some more. Feeling those irrelevant video game numbers go up. It's fun.

2) You gain lots of game knowledge. For example, a Fort Condor battle becomes available after you get into the water with Mr. Dolphin, but can't be accessed after you climb up to Junon. That's hilariously specific. Why would the developers do that?

3) It saves time. There's a lot of other games I want to get to, I don't really have time to figure this stuff out on my own.

I've done two 100% playthroughs of FFVII. To me that means doing all the optional content, getting every item and materia, reaching lvl 99 with all characters and maxing their stats. Using a guide and the W-Item glitches, this can be done in about 70 hours. Persona games take longer to play casually. It's not that bad.

Last edited:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
... 100% playthroughs ... can be done in about 70 hours. Persona games take longer to play casually.

This still makes me chuckle. I tend to think of FF6-9 as the “long” Final Fantasies but they are easily a quarter the length of hours spent than a typical RPG is nowadays. They’re just incredibly detailed, well-paced, and dense. It helps that they can pack 4x the written dialogue in the time it takes a VA to say a single line.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
I’m generally an advocate for not using a guide, as you only have one chance to truly figure something out for yourself on your first playthrough. Any subsequent playthrough, even if in the distant future, you’ll never have that chance again.

However, I think if you’re totally lost, it doesn’t hurt to just quickly CTRL+F on a guide to see just enough of a hint to get you moving again. Reading nothing more, nothing less - just to keep the game going.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
The benefit and feelings of accomplishment and joy at "figuring something out by myself" are completely nullified and reversed into rage and frustration at the knowledge of losing out on some impossible to know of item/accessory/materia/event because there was nothing there to warn me or tell me to expect it ahead of time.

If a game doesn't let you lose out and miss stuff, that's fine, no guides necessary. But that's a modern benefit of games. Games of the past totally were cool with letting you lose out on shit through no fault of your own because they'd decide their content would be buried deep within the game, with no clue to it's existence. "It's not a big deal, who cares about the Gigas Armlet/Shinra Beta/Added-Effect/etc??"

I do. I don't like missing things and having my options snatched by arbitrary opportunity costs. That's not fun, it's frustrating. Immersion is lost when I get frustrated at my game giving zero hints that Vivi's Octagon Rod must be purchased before entering the Shimmering Island, otherwise it's unobtainable forever, and my Vivi is stuck with basic elemental spells up to "ara." That's fucking stupid. It's not a fun experience and it's why RPGs necessitate a guide, unless you're chill with eventually running into a dark room with caltrops on the floor :monster:

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
The benefit and feelings of accomplishment and joy at "figuring something out by myself" are completely nullified and reversed into rage and frustration at the knowledge of losing out on some impossible to know of item/accessory/materia/event because there was nothing there to warn me or tell me to expect it ahead of time.

If a game doesn't let you lose out and miss stuff, that's fine, no guides necessary. But that's a modern benefit of games. Games of the past totally were cool with letting you lose out on shit through no fault of your own because they'd decide their content would be buried deep within the game, with no clue to it's existence. "It's not a big deal, who cares about the Gigas Armlet/Shinra Beta/Added-Effect/etc??"

I do. I don't like missing things and having my options snatched by arbitrary opportunity costs. That's not fun, it's frustrating. Immersion is lost when I get frustrated at my game giving zero hints that Vivi's Octagon Rod must be purchased before entering the Shimmering Island, otherwise it's unobtainable forever, and my Vivi is stuck with basic elemental spells up to "ara." That's fucking stupid. It's not a fun experience and it's why RPGs necessitate a guide, unless you're chill with eventually running into a dark room with caltrops on the floor :monster:
Would you say that events that change the course of the game later on like
completing Wutai causing the Turks fight at the end of the game to be skippable
would fall under those, or do you think it’s OK because the game is still completable without it?

For me, I love the obscure content games of old had; it deepened the mystery and satisfaction of discovery. Modern games are a lot more face-value.

Top Bottom