FF Novice Plays FF IX

• Thread starter Deleted member 13557
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13557

One of my favourite scenes, I spent several hours probably wearing out my 3rd disk constantly resetting just to watch that cutscene.
Your 3rd disk? I'm still on the 1st.

I'm talking about when Alexandria is destroyed and Zidane, Garnet and Eiko swing out. Garnet definitely held Zidane tight.

D

Deleted member 13557

On the PS1 version you swap to the 2nd disc after Kuja flies off from Burmecia. Then you switch to the 3rd disc after Brahne dies and you get the FMV with Garnet staring at her yet-to-be-destroyed castle.
Ooh, okay.

Figured I'd get an "end of disk 1/2/3" message like you get in FF7. My bad!

I remember the pain of switching discs. For some reason both FF8 and FF9 refused to accept an immediate transition to the next disc, so I just had to make the save file and reset the console before I could continue.

I wonder why that was. Maybe something off with my European PS1 console? Or maybe the fact that it was a slightly modded console and both FF8 and FF9 didn't like that.

Edited to add: With FF7 there was no problem with moving immediately between discs without having to reset my PS1.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Ooh, okay.

Figured I'd get an "end of disk 1/2/3" message like you get in FF7. My bad!

Yeah I noticed that as well on my Steam playthrough. I miss those messages, it’s kind of like a little intermission between acts. Disc 1 ends with Kuja’s introduction in the rain, with Zidane, Vivi, and Freya beaten by Beatrix. Disc 2 ends with Garnet burying Brahne, and the cutscene where she stands on the Alexandrian dock, her eyes full of purpose.

Yes you’re on ‘Disc 3’ now. In the multi-disc FF games, the last disc is just the final dungeon/endgame content, to make room for the long and uncompressed finale sequences. FF7’s story is mostly on Disc 1, whereas VIII and IX have a more even spread.

@Shademp That’s strange! First I’ve heard of that happening. Thank goodness there’s always an end-of-disc save!

Edit: ooh how do I say this with as few spoilers as possible...? Okay, so, on Disc 4, some locations become inaccessible. Because of this, some sidequests will become unfinishable if you, ah, progress the main plot into Disc 4... So, uhhhh, there will be a pretty obvious “point of no return” that puts you on a roller coaster that concludes Disc 3. You’ll want to wrap up as many sidequests as you can before taking that dive. It is *not* the mission directly after Bahamut v. Alexander, it’s after that, and very obvious.

Last edited:

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
On my way to the east to find Kuja
Christ you are going to catch up to us AGAIN.

We're at disc 4 now, and will probably finish this tuesday.
We're playing Moguri mod with the "beatrix mod" though and I was finally forced to admit to my mate that normally you actually don't get to recruit Beatrix to your party, which surprised him because, as he said "if I had to choose anyone who I thought had been added in artificially it would have been Amarant".

Unfortunately there are still some glitches when combining "moguri" and "BeatrixMod" though.

Beatrix was always my favorite character in arguably the entire FF franchise, and ever since I was a child I wished that she'd be a part of the main cast, I used to play the parts where you control her over and over XD.

And now there is a Mod where you can recruit her on disc 3, that gives her a trance, and even adds her into the cutscenes from this point on in the game. Literally a dream come true for me and the new definitive way to play the game imo XD
Do hope they manage to integrate it with Moguri as well though since the high quality backgrounds are also a must.

When FFIX was made the detail they had on the backgrounds was INSANE, but then it had to be scaled down for the ps1 and all the quality was lost. We didn't even know how good FFIX could look until we saw some of the surviving originals years later. So now fans have taken it upon themselves to use AI upscaling to get some of that original quality back and it's just amazing.

Ps, how are you finding your happy go lucky series of genocides and sadness?

Last edited:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Is it safe at this stage now @ThatGuyMikey finished Alexandria to give the locations as a ton of side quests are about to open up?

If he’s at the lovable morons line, he’s on rails for a bit, until
the haircut, unless he actively leaves Esto Gaza to sail around the world. After the haircut, it is indeed the optimal time to sidequest, so go wild =)

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Ahh yes, there are a couple of FFs that use this method with their airships handy enough to locate areas.

If I may suggest, now is a good time to play some Hot and Cold and do some sidequests.

Go look for Daguerro, its an optional place to visit but its very cool, got some very nice weapons and armour there to purchase too!

I love that you've changed your profile pic, thats another beautiful cutscene!

D

Deleted member 13557

If I may suggest, now is a good time to play some Hot and Cold and do some sidequests.
Currently doing some casual grinding to level and learn some abilities. Will make sure I get to Hot and Cold before I advance to the next area. Where are some sidequests located?

Go look for Daguerro, its an optional place to visit but its very cool, got some very nice weapons and armour there to purchase too!
Oooh, can't argue with that. Will do that before Ipsen's Castle too.

I love that you've changed your profile pic, thats another beautiful cutscene!
I feel like my pfp is gonna change for every FF I play lol. Wonder what I'll settle on once I'm done? Probably Vivi.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Go search for some of the zodiac coins and deliver some in Treno to get some rewards from Queen Stella, you can get the majority of them at this point, getting all of them gives you the hammer item which can be used towards the end of the game to Synthesise Steiner's best Armor.

If you're looking do some decent levelling I suggest go to the Iifa Tree again and learn LVL 5 death from a dragon Zombie for Quina. Then go to Popos Heights the area above Gizamluke Grotto and do some grand dragon fighting and level 5 death to one shot them. I'd also suggest also learning white wind if you haven't yet.

If you've a decent supply of gil, head to Treno also and get some decent items from the Auction, also buy the Rat Tail, Une's Mirror, Griffin's heart and Doga's artifacts, collecting these 4 and selling them to various people in Treno will make the Magical Fingertip available which if you give to an old man in Daguerro will give you Excalibur, one of Steiner's strongest weapons. I think to get all 4 of the items before Magical finger tip you have to go back and forth a few times to get them all to appear.

Frog Catching as well is always good and you can visit lots of different swaps now to do this, Always aim to leave a male and female frog to respawn the population faster.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
I feel like my pfp is gonna change for every FF I play lol. Wonder what I'll settle on once I'm done? Probably Vivi.

Just be yourself, like me.

Go search for some of the zodiac coins and deliver some in Treno to get some rewards from Queen Stella

Me and my mate took the trouble, for the first time in my life, to actually use the Stellazio hints to figure out where the last one is. Turns out it's actually doable.

Also got the s-rank treasure hunter reward. So atleast I should be able to platinum the game before Mikey, only a few more achievements to go, unfortunately one of them requires me killing 6.500 more enemies....

collecting these 4 and selling them to various people in Treno will make the Magical Fingertip available which if you give to an old man in Daguerro will give you Excalibur, one of Steiner's strongest weapons. I think to get all 4 of the items before Magical finger tip you have to go back and forth a few times to get them all to appear.

You need to be on disc 4 before you can get the magical fingertip.

Top Bottom