FF7 Remake "Multi part series"

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
While I disagree with most of your prevailing pessimism, the chapter releases are hugely risky. If you disappoint people with one release, it's going to be a LOT harder to make those sales up on the next part. Just look at the status of the FFXIII series, the other games were ostensibly better than XIII, but didn't do nearly as well.

As for your comment about Cloud ducking through the stuff being an indication that it will be hallways like XIII. You're the second person I've heard say that and I think it's absurd. Did you not watch the whole trailer, the streets of Midgar look a HELL of a lot more open. That hallway Cloud is manuevering through is
GygU0Uo.jpg
That trailer covered probably the most linear section in the entire game. A game whose openness people seriously overrate.

Though I don't think the trailer is indicative of a hallway-athon, I don't think its that absurd to have worries that SE might make FF7 one.

FF14, a MMORPG, let me repeat , a MMORPG, aka those giant open world games, the majority of its zones are just pretty hallways obscured by bushes etc. with small open areas in between each hallway.

SE does have a track record here and it doesn't take a giant leap to get to a point where you might worry yet another one of their games might have the same old problem.

Though again I will say I don't think the trailer displayed that at all.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Just going to point out that all of Midgar in the OG is pretty much a hall way that you can backtrack though (and sometimes not even that). It's just not as noticable because it's got a fixed camera and it's not in first/third person.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Yeah, aren't like, the first five hours of FFVII basically a "hallway?"

And even on the world map, you still have to go in a certain order. You HAVE to go to Kalm first. You HAVE to go to Junon next. You HAVE to do the stuff on the ship and then land in Costa del Sol. Then you have to go to Corel after that. After which you HAVE to play through the Gold Saucer stuff and do the Chocobo race in order to get the buggy so you can cross the river

To be honest the only plus is that you have a large open space to grind if you want to. That's really all I'm asking for. And then maybe there's an extra section in the Mythril Mines where you can get a couple items. And then maybe you can choose to either fight the Zolom over and over or you can get a chocobo or attempt to run across the marsh without being attacked by the Zolom. :monster: But to be honest these really aren't huge deals.

I mean, it could be more like XII where you could just say screw it and just go hunting for ten hours straight. :monster:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
^This.

FFVII is not at all like FFVIII where you can spend several hours playing Triple Triad and grinding AP for your junctions before ever going to Dolett.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Just struck me that in 10 years (max?) TLS will be voting on which FFVII episode is the best!

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Just struck me that in 10 years (max?) TLS will be voting on which FFVII episode is the best!

...do not want, tbf. If they are going to release it in episodes, they should at least bundle it in one package once it's done.

Lex

Administrator

...do not want, tbf. If they are going to release it in episodes, they should at least bundle it in one package once it's done.

There are still going to be votes on which one was the best regardless. Have you learned nothing from this fandom? :desu:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I know someone will probably connect the number of episodes and their release dates to the fact that CxA is canon, :monster:

Ite

AKA
Ite
They said it was gonna be for PS4, and Cloud and Tifa don't hook up until the PS5 episodes. Cleris is canon!
How the Sam hell is levelling gonna work? Will we have to get ACCOUNTS!?

SLFFVII

FFVII RP in Second Life
AKA
Floyd Gilmour
I can live with episodic if it means I get to play something faster, as long as they don't make the episodes ridiculously short that is.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Honestly though I am gonna spend about 10 or so hours between cutscenes in every location just soaking it all in. If you look at it that way, there is no such thing as too short.

SLFFVII

FFVII RP in Second Life
AKA
Floyd Gilmour
Honestly though I am gonna spend about 10 or so hours between cutscenes in every location just soaking it all in. If you look at it that way, there is no such thing as too short.

That's exactly how I see it, I have played the game, more times than I can count, I know the story, a remake isn't for the story, it is for me to finally breathe in the world in pretty graphics.

Diamonddark

SEPINHORF LIVES!
AKA
Rich
I just found a post I made three years ago on Gamespot that got a positive reaction by way of people inboxing me that they'd support the idea haha:

"Every game since doesn't hold the same affect on people as FF7. And that's regardless of whether you played it from day one or visited it's magic years later. (what does it matter?). I, however, still own my original copy that I got for Christmas 1997 (damn!). I'd love to see them remake the game. They mention that it's too epic a world to do in full at the current graphics capacity.

I say they should exlopre the option of releasing episodes and making parts optional downloads later on.

FF7 really can be a LOTR-style 3 game series. 1st game = prior to world map. 2nd - exploring the world. 3. Post meteor cast.

Online options can be WoW-style dungeon exploration and team challenges. This game can be brought right up date and beyond.

While the episodes are being released, optional sections are released for download...such as a full and extended Gold Saucer. Emerald/Ruby Weapon challenges. Underwater world. Optional towns. Gold Saucer battle challenge. Full Chocobo challenge etc etc. Ski game.

There were so many optional parts of the original FF7 that added to the richness of the game, but can be optional downloads here released over time....and for money for SEnix.

As many others have pointed out - the story must stay the same, the materia system must stay the same. Battle system must be a hybrid of traditional turn based with a hint of real time as I can understand why it couldn't be fully turn-based.

Thoughts?"

Hmm... :D

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony
@Diamionddark - I'll go in order of how you presented your ideas.

-Yes, I agree with the release, 1st disc be Midgar, second be up-to the Northern Crater, and last part being from 2nd time at Junon to end of the game. While it may be different than that in the final products, I could see this happening.

- No with the Online, and optional DLC. I argue that many would be against this for one that FF7 wasn't an online game to begin with and there isn't any need to add an online mode(although they haven't denied it at this point and even stated they would clarify at a later date).

-With the DLC, no to if they take out chunks of the game that should've been in there to begin with. Like the Golden Saucer, that should all be aviable to us from the Get-go. However I would be ok with a true expansion to the area with new activities to do, which weren't from the original game.(This goes for everything else really too). They shouldn't be cutting out parts of the game and making it DLC, and that's the final line.

Diamonddark

SEPINHORF LIVES!
AKA
Rich
Yeah, I agree with you re DLC. I can't even remember why I suggested it three years ago as I wouldn't want to have to pay for the Weapons or GS. I was surprised at my episodical suggestion and the potential accuracy of the battle system, though.

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony
I trust Square knows what they are doing. Plus the entire game may eventually come out by 2020, so we have a bit to wait before we can truly see what direction they went with it.

You did have a spot on prediction with Multi-part.

Ite

AKA
Ite
I wonder if ending Part 2 with "both Cloud and Aeris are dead, the heroes have failed, and a Meteor will destroy the world" is gonna make Part 3 sell like hot cakes... Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt few people would stay excited if they had to wait another 2-3 years before playing any more.

But there really isn't a better place to cut it.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Depends on the mood they want to set. If they want to end on a "darkest before the dawn" note, then that would be the place to do it (perhaps when Barret shows Meteor to Tifa). If they want to end with the injection of renewed hope, it would be after the escape from Junon.

I'd be cool with either direction.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I think Mideel would be the place to cut it. The escape from Junon is the big climax, they find Cloud, Tifa decides to stay with Cloud and the party all says their goodbyes, promising to see each other again but not knowing if they will.

Last edited:
Top Bottom