FF7 Remake "Multi part series"

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Just like Cloud, Tifa and all the party members have taken up the cause to fight for the planet. Tifa would be just as capable of arguing with Cid as Cloud. There will also be plenty of new plotlines in this remake to flesh out Cloud's feelings for the Planet in Part 3. Even the original game makes a strong enough case by just having him journey to the center of the planet to stop Meteor.

It was a science vs magic debate. That Cloud is the one having issues with Cid's plan speaks to him filling the shoes of Aerith as the one most connected to the Lifestream out the party. Tifa CAN play that role, but I don't think she should.

SirVival

Pro Adventurer
So what's the current estimate? When is the first chapter supposed to come out? How many chapters do you expect the game to have? How long does it take SE to spit out the chapters? I do hope they release it in 3 chapters, as that is usually the magic number of success.

Just asking for your opinions, because judging from my experience PS4 has something like 2-3 years, 5 years tops', left in its' lifespan. What is going to happen to the rest of the chapters? Does SE succeed in releasing the chapters for PS4 or will they be released for the next platform?

SeaDragon

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Sjödraken
Just asking for your opinions, because judging from my experience PS4 has something like 2-3 years, 5 years tops', left in its' lifespan. What is going to happen to the rest of the chapters? Does SE succeed in releasing the chapters for PS4 or will they be released for the next platform?

This is what worries me most :/ Square will be able the release all the "chapters" for ps4? Anyway i hope for a split into three games, with the first one released for winter 2017.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
They'll probably be able to release all chapters for the PS4. They'd only recently announced the PS4.5 so I think we're good for his era for a bit yet. And then when the PS5 comes out, all parts will probably be done that they'll do an upgrade/collection with it as well.

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony
^I like how everyone is talking about the PS5, when I'm feeling like the PS4 came out last weekend.

Speaking of which I wonder if the Remake would take advantage of any of the PS4.5's tech. Maybe it'd help with in the future releasing all the parts together.

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
I'm just hoping for a PC release tbh. Also I love how we've moved on from discussing whether the multi-part aspect is good or bad to discussing where we think it'll (or how we think it should) be split.

JechtShotMK9

The Sublimely Magnificent One
AKA
Kamiccolo9
Concerning Cloud not being involved with the Huge Materia plotline....

Honestly, I wouldn't really care, but it would take away his claustrophobia moment in the submarine. I always liked that part, as it was so "Cloud" of him, if you know what I mean. What with that being one of the first quirky things he does after emerging from the Lifestream. It's a legitimate Cloud personality trait after all the Zack stuff.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
So what's the current estimate? When is the first chapter supposed to come out? How many chapters do you expect the game to have? How long does it take SE to spit out the chapters? I do hope they release it in 3 chapters, as that is usually the magic number of success.

Including the releases of all chapters of the game?

I'm guessing 2017 or most likely 2018 for Chapter 1, 2019 for chapter 2, 2021 for chapter 3, and if there'll be four parts, 2023 for chapter 4.

They'll probably be able to release all chapters for the PS4. They'd only recently announced the PS4.5 so I think we're good for his era for a bit yet. And then when the PS5 comes out, all parts will probably be done that they'll do an upgrade/collection with it as well.

I think the new PS4.5's code or whatever is Neo or something like that.

^I like how everyone is talking about the PS5, when I'm feeling like the PS4 came out last weekend.

Speaking of which I wonder if the Remake would take advantage of any of the PS4.5's tech. Maybe it'd help with in the future releasing all the parts together.

Knowing our luck, I'm thinking FFVIIR will end up being moved up from PS4 to PS5 just as FFXV had been moved from PS3 to PS4, considering how consoles only last up to a few years. Not to mention that it takes several years to develop a game around the last inch of the current console's lifespan.

Concerning Cloud not being involved with the Huge Materia plotline....

Honestly, I wouldn't really care, but it would take away his claustrophobia moment in the submarine. I always liked that part, as it was so "Cloud" of him, if you know what I mean. What with that being one of the first quirky things he does after emerging from the Lifestream. It's a legitimate Cloud personality trait after all the Zack stuff.

Yeah, that'd be so disappointing if they took away his claustrophobia away and only leaving Yuffie with the motion sickness moment for the entire game. I mean, before the Nibelhiem incident, poor Cloud also had problems with Motion sickness until the Submarine part.

So I do hope they'll at least keep in having Cloud involved in searching for the rest of the Huge Materia parts.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
They should do it more though. Characters are supposed to have quirks and faults... it was something that made him really relateable and likeable as a protag.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
Well, especially with Cloud, I always thought that was kind of supposed to be the whole point...he's an 'anti-hero', but not in the traditional sense that tag is used, to mean amoral or otherwise un-admirable, but instead in the sense that he's a total dork, a goofball who gets motion-sick and claustrophobic and paranoid and says shit like "Let's mosey". That's one thing I really hope they remember to bring back about his personality, that offbeat aspect...I mean, can you picture AC cloud saying "Let's Mosey"??

ForceStealer

Double Growth
They should do it more though. Characters are supposed to have quirks and faults... it was something that made him really relateable and likeable as a protag.

I agree, though Crisis Core is really the only chance they gave themselves to reference it. As in, it was the only time other people have been driving him around. Driving his motorcycle likely wouldn't do it because he's the one driving. (I suppose him being in the back of Barret and Tifa's war truck in Dirge could have done it though.)
It never was quite as extreme as Yuffie's. He mentions to her on the Highwind that he has to fight it, but he isn't as debilitated as she is.

I also think it's a good indicator of his true personality. As he's completely immune to it while he thinks he's a former SOLDIER. Mind over matter thing :monster:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Driving his motorcycle likely wouldn't do it because he's the one driving.

I just got the best mental image of Cloud riding around looking all badass and then periodically turning his head to one side to do a biiiig load of vom.:lol:

Vito

Lv. 25 Adventurer

It's a given we are going to see either a PS4K bundle or a PS5 remaster next gen.

It just makes perfect business sense to release all parts together at the end.

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony
^When that will happen at this point is still unknown. Seeing how the XIII trilogy took around 5 years from 2009-2014 once they have the gameplay mechanics down for the first game, they shouldn't be changing it in the next part. So that means they would only need to add more enemies and design more areas.

Hmm got me thinking, maybe Part 1 will be more than Midgar. Would be cool, but I hope E3 this year gives us some more information. Also once that is released people should be asking how the games will be connected together because CyberConnect2 is supposedly the ones behind that part of the Multi-Parts.

SeaDragon

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Sjödraken
^Would be cool! thinking to a 40+ hours game (the part 1) only on Midgar seems strange, but it also seems the most quoted choice.

hian

Purist
I'm not convinced part 1 will be limited to Midgar.
It could very well be, but I think we're kinda fumbling in the dark here.
We're basing most of this on how the original was structured, and assuming they'll be following that structure for the most part, but they might intend to restructure the narrative a whole lot.
One thing is saying that they intend to keep as much of it in as possible - another thing is whether they plan on presenting it in the same way, or how much expansion we're looking at in total (not just for Midgar)

While I am not one of the people who think Midgar couldn't be stretched into a full title, (considering that the original, without voice-acting, cinematic presentation of dialogue events, action based game-play and the expanded areas that need be made to facilitate it, and expanded back-ground stories for sub-characters etc. still took somewhere between 4-7 hours depending on your play-style), I still think it could be a bad choice to do so.
Midgar is such a limited environment in terms of its style, and I'd argue that a very important part of catching the audience in terms of the original was the transition from Midgar to the lush green world-map, and the introduction of Cloud's back-story to truly get the player's invested in the story.

To end part one without introducing new players to the actual world, and to the actual antagonist of the game, I fear could loose SE a lot of players before the release of the next part due to building a false impression of the game.
I really think, at the very least, they'd want cover the Nibelheim flash-back in the first part.

There's also the possibility that if they only cover Midgar in the first part, people will start to speculate just how many parts the remake will consist of, and conclude that it's going to be way too many, and that it will therefore take way too much time before the entire thing is out for them to stick around.

To grasp the attention of as many people as possible, and to keep player retention at a good level, I think they'll open strong with a first part that covers enough to get players a taste of what's to come past just Midgar, and get them invested enough in the story to feel as if they really need to buy the next part.

Where and how they end up cutting things, I have no idea.
As for how the games will tie together - I'm putting my bet on something pretty much identical to the Legend of Heroes/Eiyuu Densetsu (particularly think of Sen no Kiseki) series.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
I kinda think the cargo ship is a good place to end part 1, honestly. Got the Jenova fight to provide a good final boss, and you get to meet Sephiroth face to face for the first time outside of flashbacks.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I imagine seeing the world stretch out in all directions, with seemingly endless possibilities, is a fine place for a cut-to-credits.

hian

Purist
I imagine seeing the world stretch out in all directions, with seemingly endless possibilities, is a fine place for a cut-to-credits.

Seems good at first glance, I'm just saying that for a lot of first time players, and maybe even a lot of old-timers that would feel really really frustrating.
"Here you are! The world of FFVII! But, you're not going to get to explore any of it until [insert months/years], and even when you get the next part, you'll probably only be able to explore a fraction of it, because we're cutting the plot down to a size that might imply 5+ parts".

That's bad marketing from my perspective. Not saying they won't do it, and not saying it will necessarily turn out that way. But it's a risk I don't think SE will reasonable take with a game like that considering the dire straights that FF as a series is right at this moment, with talk of large-scale JRPGs for consoles dying out depending on the sales of FFXV.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
I'm not convinced part 1 will be limited to Midgar.
It could very well be, but I think we're kinda fumbling in the dark here.
We're basing most of this on how the original was structured, and assuming they'll be following that structure for the most part, but they might intend to restructure the narrative a whole lot.
One thing is saying that they intend to keep as much of it in as possible - another thing is whether they plan on presenting it in the same way, or how much expansion we're looking at in total (not just for Midgar)

While I am not one of the people who think Midgar couldn't be stretched into a full title, (considering that the original, without voice-acting, cinematic presentation of dialogue events, action based game-play and the expanded areas that need be made to facilitate it, and expanded back-ground stories for sub-characters etc. still took somewhere between 4-7 hours depending on your play-style), I still think it could be a bad choice to do so.
Midgar is such a limited environment in terms of its style, and I'd argue that a very important part of catching the audience in terms of the original was the transition from Midgar to the lush green world-map, and the introduction of Cloud's back-story to truly get the player's invested in the story.
I agree that much of these options about where to split the game can be considered wild guesses because it presupposes the remake would have the same narrative structure as the OG.

As for Midgar being a limited environment in terms of style, on the contrary I believe that Midgar can show much variety. Each sector of the slums has its own identity and visual style (not to mention that each sector was initially based on an older town - it could be interesting to see more of these remnants), so expanding the exploration of Midgar to all sectors (or even allow to roam on the top of the Plate) could offer a wide range of urban landscapes. Toss day/night cycles and weather, and you can obtain quite some diversity in how the environments look like.

To end part one without introducing new players to the actual world, and to the actual antagonist of the game, I fear could loose SE a lot of players before the release of the next part due to building a false impression of the game.
I really think, at the very least, they'd want cover the Nibelheim flash-back in the first part.

There's also the possibility that if they only cover Midgar in the first part, people will start to speculate just how many parts the remake will consist of, and conclude that it's going to be way too many, and that it will therefore take way too much time before the entire thing is out for them to stick around.

To grasp the attention of as many people as possible, and to keep player retention at a good level, I think they'll open strong with a first part that covers enough to get players a taste of what's to come past just Midgar, and get them invested enough in the story to feel as if they really need to buy the next part.

Where and how they end up cutting things, I have no idea.
As for how the games will tie together - I'm putting my bet on something pretty much identical to the Legend of Heroes/Eiyuu Densetsu (particularly think of Sen no Kiseki) series.
"Here you are! The world of FFVII! But, you're not going to get to explore any of it until [insert months/years], and even when you get the next part, you'll probably only be able to explore a fraction of it, because we're cutting the plot down to a size that might imply 5+ parts".

That's bad marketing from my perspective. Not saying they won't do it, and not saying it will necessarily turn out that way. But it's a risk I don't think SE will reasonable take with a game like that considering the dire straights that FF as a series is right at this moment, with talk of large-scale JRPGs for consoles dying out depending on the sales of FFXV.
I would agree that the main hurdle about making the first part only about Midgar would be about marketing, but I don't think that making the first part only about Midgar would be a bad choice.
Suppose that SE announces up front, prior to the release of part 1:
- Part 1 is going to be about Midgar
- The whole remake is going to be [insert scheduled number of parts]
- We made the decision to cut at Midgar so that our fans would get to play the game earlier (whereas having to develop more content would make the release be at least a year later)
- We didn't want to shoehorn gameplay or character elements at the expense of the narrative structure (as a said, the Nibelheim flashback would be awesome as a beginning, much less so as an ending).

If they make such an announcement, and fans are still unhappy, then IMO it's because FF VII has the syndrome of the unpleasable fanbase.

Now, I am not saying that cutting at Midgar is the only valid option. I'm merely saying that's the only valid option I see that would be compatible with a 2017 release.

I have many concerns if part 1 does not end at Midgar:
- You can't cut "too early" after the Nibelheim flashback. IMO it would be terrible to show a slice of a massive world, introduce a new conflict with a new villain, and cut right there. IMO, shoehorning some bits in an attempt to "please the fans" would be a worse decision than showing less and have a coherent structure (it may work marketing-wise, but would be very detrimental to the quality of the game).
- If you don't cut right at Midgar, then at the very least you need another story arc to be completed in order to make the cut. As the OG narrative structure stands, I don't think that cutting at Jenova-Birth would be really satisfying - Jenova-birth does not close an arc. So either they'll need to shuffle the narrative structure quite a lot, or they need to cut the story much later. The next earlier point I'd see would be when gathering the entire party (although not a great choice, plus the corresponding boss fight would be quite anti-climatic :) ), or at the Temple of the Ancients. Ending part 1 at least that much later wouldn't be a bad thing in itself, however if that's the case then I don't see how we could get a 2017 release, and I'd think it would be even a tight schedule for a 2018 release. Would the fans be patient enough to wait that much? Or are they going to fret about how the release of the PS5 is going to mess that up? In the end, this other option also presents some marketing challenges.

Random Nobody

local roach
Also I love how we've moved on from discussing whether the multi-part aspect is good or bad to discussing where we think it'll (or how we think it should) be split.
I mean, personally I'm still in pain, like....

Not that I think it will necessarily be bad narratively, but because Square really tryna sell this game for at least $180. and I know I'mma buy it

Listen...sis...for $200, Sephiroth better come out the screen and kill me too.

hian

Purist
As for Midgar being a limited environment in terms of style, on the contrary I believe that Midgar can show much variety...
could offer a wide range of urban landscapes.

That's my point. Yes, Midgar has a diverse landscape as a city. It's still just a city though. What I am comparing Midgar to here, after all, is the rest of the world of FFVII.

In the context of that, I think Midgar's internal diversity does very little to remedy it's larger lack of scenic diversity.
When you limit the player to Midgar, you limited them to the urban landscape of Midgar - you trap then within those streets for what, 40+ hours?
At that point, I really don't care how well they do it - I would not look forward to that.

I would agree that the main hurdle about making the first part only about Midgar would be about marketing, but I don't think that making the first part only about Midgar would be a bad choice.
Suppose that SE announces up front, prior to the release of part 1:
- Part 1 is going to be about Midgar
- The whole remake is going to be [insert scheduled number of parts]
- We made the decision to cut at Midgar so that our fans would get to play the game earlier (whereas having to develop more content would make the release be at least a year later)
- We didn't want to shoehorn gameplay or character elements at the expense of the narrative structure (as a said, the Nibelheim flashback would be awesome as a beginning, much less so as an ending).

I don't think that announcement would make any sense, because non of those points are justifiable at this point.

1. This begs the question of how many parts exactly the total game will end up being as and it will be logical to conclude an extremely lengthy development window - which I just don't see happening with what happened to FFXV.

2. Unless they've needlessly expanded Midgar way beyond what it needs to be, then there is no reason why they shouldn't be able to include more on release of part 1, after what will have been around a 3 year development cycle between several companies.

3. See point 2.

4. That's a moot point, because there's nothing to say that part 1 has to end with the Nibelheim flashback.
As many people here have pointed out - one logical place to end part 1, if you have to end it before obtaining the entire party, is with the boat-ride from Junon and the first encounter with Jenova.
That could be turned into something quite spectacular.

This way we also get a very logical transition from one continent to another, which makes sense from a world-building perspective.

Opportunities are endless.

The central point I was trying to make is simply that it, while execution is important, they have a lot of room to be flexible with that.
What they won't have so much flexibility on is creating and maintaining hype/interest, and I think they know that's best done by flexing some muscles with the title, and I would argue that's best done after Midgar, not in it.

Now, I am not saying that cutting at Midgar is the only valid option. I'm merely saying that's the only valid option I see that would be compatible with a 2017 release.

Why?
The game is being developed by multiple studios at the same time, on an extremely accessible engine they now have experience working on, possibly using a lot of assets from the FFXV development process, and by 2017 will have been working on the game for 3 years.

I see no reason what so ever, again unless they've bloated Midgar to a ridiculous degree, that could possibly keep the first part limited to Midgar.

I have many concerns if part 1 does not end at Midgar:
- You can't cut "too early" after the Nibelheim flashback. IMO it would be terrible to show a slice of a massive world, introduce a new conflict with a new villain, and cut right there.

Except that seeing as Sephiroth is first introduced in Shinra building, and the massive world is introduced at the end of the bike escape, you're looking at almost the exact same problem if you end it there.

Again though, cutting it at the boat-ride, or even later, like at the destruction of the temple of the ancients etc. could work fine.

IMO, shoehorning some bits in an attempt to "please the fans" would be a worse decision than showing less and have a coherent structure (it may work marketing-wise, but would be very detrimental to the quality of the game).

My biggest concern isn't fans though - it's all the new people who'll have to buy the game to cover the production costs.
It's also important to build the confidence of long-time fans though, because if they all go "wtf is this shit?" when playing the game, there's bound to be splash damage where new possible consumers look at the word "remake", look at the old fan's reactions and go "hey, like with Hollywood remakes huh? I think I'll give this a pass thank you.".

- If you don't cut right at Midgar, then at the very least you need another story arc to be completed in order to make the cut. As the OG narrative structure stands, I don't think that cutting at Jenova-Birth would be really satisfying - Jenova-birth does not close an arc.

I don't think the game needs to close a major story arc to end on a satisfying note. This isn't a book or a movie - it's a game.
The end of Jenova, seeing "Sephiroth" for the first time, and putting the first continent behind you with a new world of unknowns lying before you is a very appropriate place to end a part of a game as far as I am concerned.

In many ways, I prefer segmented products to end on a medium note, because I don't want to get hyped only to have to wait months/years for the next part, but I also don't require the part to close of major story-points because I am approaching it like a series to begin with.

So either they'll need to shuffle the narrative structure quite a lot, or they need to cut the story much later.

A.) I don't see why they would need to,
B.) and I don't see why it would be an issue even if they needed to since they've already expressed themselves clearly on their attitudes to changing the game

however if that's the case then I don't see how we could get a 2017 release, and I'd think it would be even a tight schedule for a 2018 release. Would the fans be patient enough to wait that much? Or are they going to fret about how the release of the PS5 is going to mess that up? In the end, this other option also presents some marketing challenges.

In the end it's better to let people wait and release a stellar product, than to rush out something that then destroys people's confidence in your product.

With that being said though -
Again, this game, by 2017, has been developed by at least 3 (at least) larger companies working together, for a period of around 3 years (or slightly more) using one of the most accessible engines of the industry being worked on by people who're familiar with its use, possibly whilst importing a lot of resources from FFXV.

Comparatively - Witcher 3 was developed over a period of 3 years by a 200 man team.

The Witcher 3 guys.

If FFVIIR part 1 does not have the same size and amount of content of Witcher 3 at around the 2017 mark, that's a failure in an of itself when you consider the reach and output of SE as a company.
To think for a moment though, that the remake, even with an expanded Midgar couldn't fit in most of disk 1 of the original if they wanted to when you consider the size of Witcher 3, and the amount of content in it, is... to put it mildly - giving SE a pretty big handicap =P

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Did that really have to turn into an argument? >_>

That's my point. Yes, Midgar has a diverse landscape as a city. It's still just a city though. What I am comparing Midgar to here, after all, is the rest of the world of FFVII.

In the context of that, I think Midgar's internal diversity does very little to remedy it's larger lack of scenic diversity.
When you limit the player to Midgar, you limited them to the urban landscape of Midgar - you trap then within those streets for what, 40+ hours?
At that point, I really don't care how well they do it - I would not look forward to that.
I would believe that Midgar can offer enough scenic diversity for a 40+ hours games. I think there are a few successful games set in large cities where players would spend a lot more than 40+ hours without getting bored, and I think there was enough to explore for the players not to feel "trapped".
If they make Midgar open-world and give good reasons to explore it, flesh out the story and character developments in an interesting and coherent manner, and release that as the first instalment of the remake, I would be happy with that. It seems you wouldn't, since you've referred to that concept as “something bloated beyond necessary”. Oh well.

I don't think that announcement would make any sense, because non of those points are justifiable at this point.
1. This begs the question of how many parts exactly the total game will end up being as and it will be logical to conclude an extremely lengthy development window - which I just don't see happening with what happened to FFXV.

2. Unless they've needlessly expanded Midgar way beyond what it needs to be, then there is no reason why they shouldn't be able to include more on release of part 1, after what will have been around a 3 year development cycle between several companies.

3. See point 2.

4. That's a moot point, because there's nothing to say that part 1 has to end with the Nibelheim flashback.
As many people here have pointed out - one logical place to end part 1, if you have to end it before obtaining the entire party, is with the boat-ride from Junon and the first encounter with Jenova.
That could be turned into something quite spectacular.

This way we also get a very logical transition from one continent to another, which makes sense from a world-building perspective.
I was making my original suggestion for the case where SE decides to make part 1 about Midgar only. Of course it isn't “justifiable” at this point since we don't know yet what part 1 will actually be about, or how much Midgar will be expanded. And if Midgar is not much fleshed out in comparison to its OG counterpart (beyond what its need to be?), of course it wouldn't make sense to have part 1 only about Midgar. Even I could figure that out :monster:.

Opportunities are endless.

The central point I was trying to make is simply that it, while execution is important, they have a lot of room to be flexible with that.
What they won't have so much flexibility on is creating and maintaining hype/interest, and I think they know that's best done by flexing some muscles with the title, and I would argue that's best done after Midgar, not in it.
I can appreciate this viewpoint. You could have just said it without the unnecessary argument.

Why?
The game is being developed by multiple studios at the same time, on an extremely accessible engine they now have experience working on, possibly using a lot of assets from the FFXV development process, and by 2017 will have been working on the game for 3 years.

I see no reason what so ever, again unless they've bloated Midgar to a ridiculous degree, that could possibly keep the first part limited to Midgar.

With that being said though -
Again, this game, by 2017, has been developed by at least 3 (at least) larger companies working together, for a period of around 3 years (or slightly more) using one of the most accessible engines of the industry being worked on by people who're familiar with its use, possibly whilst importing a lot of resources from FFXV.

Comparatively - Witcher 3 was developed over a period of 3 years by a 200 man team.

The Witcher 3 guys.

If FFVIIR part 1 does not have the same size and amount of content of Witcher 3 at around the 2017 mark, that's a failure in an of itself when you consider the reach and output of SE as a company.
To think for a moment though, that the remake, even with an expanded Midgar couldn't fit in most of disk 1 of the original if they wanted to when you consider the size of Witcher 3, and the amount of content in it, is... to put it mildly - giving SE a pretty big handicap =P

A whole lot of that essentially depends on how advanced the development of FF VII: R is, and how much Midgar will be expanded. Will Midgar will be blown to a open-world standalone instalment (or bloated beyond reason, depending on your point of view), and what are the consequences on the release? None outside SE can really know right now. For the release of part 1, we can make guesses: you based your estimates on the development times of the Witcher 3 while assuming that Midgar wouldn't be bloated. I was basing my estimates based on the time since FF Versus XIII was renamed FF XV, while they didn't have to start their development from scratch, and thinking that Midgar could be greatly expanded (to a ridiculous degree?). Besides, it seems to me that SE hasn't been the fastest company to develop and release their games, in the recent years. One year and a half between Episode Duscae and the actual release of FF XV doesn't strike me as "fast".
If SE manages to deliver something a lot more substantial than Midgar by 2017, I'll be very surprised, unless Midgar is not given much larger a scope than in the OG. Not saying it can't happen though.

In the end it's better to let people wait and release a stellar product, than to rush out something that then destroys people's confidence in your product.
I agree; the difficulty being that the more you delay a release, the more expectations build up and the harder it is to meet them.
Still, as they say, a delayed game can be great when it's eventually released, whereas a rushed game will always remain rushed.

My biggest concern isn't fans though - it's all the new people who'll have to buy the game to cover the production costs.
It's also important to build the confidence of long-time fans though, because if they all go "wtf is this shit?" when playing the game, there's bound to be splash damage where new possible consumers look at the word "remake", look at the old fan's reactions and go "hey, like with Hollywood remakes huh? I think I'll give this a pass thank you.".
I'm not really concerned about "the new people" who are going to discover FF VII with the remake. Actually, I think there's something refreshing about having to present the game to people who don't know about it.
As for the long-time fans, I believe it has become an unpleasable fanbase, and I'm more concerned about them because they're more vocal. Whatever SE does, someone will go “wtf is the shit?”. For instance, if the gameplay gets in the style of an A-RPG, many purists will think this is shit. And if the gameplay comes back to a traditional turn-based system, I'll be appalled by the lack of evolution.

Except that seeing as Sephiroth is first introduced in Shinra building, and the massive world is introduced at the end of the bike escape, you're looking at almost the exact same problem if you end it there.
IMO, that's... let's call it an invalid argument, at best.

Again though, cutting it at the boat-ride, or even later, like at the destruction of the temple of the ancients etc. could work fine.
Yes, I had listed these plot points as possibilities where the story could be cut.

I don't think the game needs to close a major story arc to end on a satisfying note. This isn't a book or a movie - it's a game.
The end of Jenova, seeing "Sephiroth" for the first time, and putting the first continent behind you with a new world of unknowns lying before you is a very appropriate place to end a part of a game as far as I am concerned.

In many ways, I prefer segmented products to end on a medium note, because I don't want to get hyped only to have to wait months/years for the next part, but I also don't require the part to close of major story-points because I am approaching it like a series to begin with.
If the remake turns out to be 3-4 parts, then IMO it doesn't make much sense to approach it as a series (if the remake is 5+ parts, then, sure). If SE really wants each part to be able to offer a “full experience” and stand on its own, then it is highly preferable that each part deals with a major arc. I think it is particularly important for a game from the Final Fantasy series, where the story has such central a role. I don't see why the narrative structure should take a backseat, and certainly not because “it's not a book or a movie”.
Anyway, your preference would be about cutting at the Jenova-Birth fight, and while it wouldn't be my personal choice, I can see its merits. I think it would be best to leave it at that.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Guys, I don't think it's really necessary to argue over how many parts of the Remake there will be or how it will turn out as we have no idea nor proof that which one of us are right.

For all we know, Part 1 of the remake might end in just exiting Kalm and then part 2 will begin near the Chocobo Farm near the Mines.

The only way to really know for sure is wait for hopefully E3 or whatever else event this year or next year.

Top Bottom