FFVII Character Details, Easter Eggs, and General What-the-fuckery

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
It would actually make sense, then, for the trail of blood to be planted evidence, not incidental.

A little easter egg relating to the blood trails, floor 67 has two distinct maps; one with the blood and ruined areas and one without.
In contrast, floor 69 uses the blood as an animation; it is one and the same map whether the blood is there or not.
HOWEVER, in the game files you can find an incomplete version of a SECOND map for floor 69 (the floor right below the President's chamber). I do not know of any way to view the map yet, but I speculate that at one point in development a separate "blood trail map" was planned for the 69th floor.

Also, among these unused files is also a FIFTH room for the Gelnika! I'll give updates if I manage to figure out anything about this room.

Btw, did you know that if you get spotted in the "sneak past the guards" event 4 times, on floor 60, the guards disappear completely and you can move on? I tested it and it was true.

Last edited:
I knew about the guards thing, I always did it that way, so I fought them and kept gaining more experience!
How sneaky of you! Or, well, NOT sneaky.
I didn't know of it until last month when I was viewing the script and noticed the scenario of being spotted too many times by the guards. :monster:

Spamming this topic some more, did you guys know that if you have a Chocobo in the Highwind chocobo stable and talk to the chocobo, the hay in front of it will gradually disappear?

I didn't notice this detail until very recently. Apparently the chocobo eats just by swaying its tail rather than actually digging its head into the hay. :P

Jocalyn

Pro Adventurer
Okay. Something I thought up DURING the Buster Sword discussion (I hope this counts?):

I always figured Barret thinking of Cloud as possibly being "Sephiroth's shadow" was just to highlight that Tifa will fight harder for Cloud--and I'm sure that actually IS a big part of it, Barret says something along those lines after the Lifestream sequence ("Awright, I know... I shouldn't have doubted him. But I can't win against you. You're some kinda lady.") But it always seemed really cold to me too, since Barret has been with Cloud from the beginning of the game too, saying something like "Hey, do I even want him to come back?" after telling Cloud he'd be there to knock him back to sense.

During the discussion I started thinking about it again and I realized that Barret had already had a friend come back and still lost him to madness: Dyne. Even had that whole fight with him. Seeing a second friend go crazy shortly afterward in the way Cloud did... thinking about it makes me feel so bad for him. :( No wonder he didn't want Cloud coming back.

I can understand the way Barret feels too. First of all, he's not the most trusting fellow, especially with anyone who has any kind of connection to the Shinra. And I try to put it in perspective that the events that took place in the game only spanned the time period of about a month or so, so really Barret would have only known Cloud for a few weeks at most at that time. I may have been a little apprehensive if he rejoined the group too, in that situation.

THIS GUY ARE SICK just found competition.

1296059075_resized.jpg

PC line is "There are no chocobos."

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I suppose you could try and pass it off as "chocobo" being plural as well as singular, although it's never used that way.

Ok, semi-fail on my part. :monster:

But this little piece of dialogue struck me as...funny. One of the soldiers in Junon says it.

“Only authorized personnel are allowed past
this point!”
“You know too‚right?
About Junon Navy's important
classified information.”
“A new submarine has almost been completed
using Shinra's top technology.”

...right, he is talking to a civilian about classified information assuming that the civilian knows about it. He can utter this line to Cloud, Tifa or Cid at any point before the Huge Materia mission.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
This dark hour is directly tied to Tifa losing faith in Cloud, though she regains it later. Grabbing the sword as a sign of faith would be a major change in tone and bring in question why she didn't... you know, try encouraging him by saying she believed instead. Maybe it'd work as a sign of desperation, that she wants something to hold onto that badly, but we get back to her desperation being spent yelling at Cloud to stop before he hands over the Black materia and running for her life afterward and please, god, let the writers have her keep the sense to put her life over a memento that heavy.

No one, not a ONE of you retorted "It's not heavy, it's important?!"

Phillistines!

::storms off::

Though it would be really nice to know what he did with that sword in Don Corneo's place.

It's... not pleasant.

Also, among these unused files is also a FIFTH room for the Gelnika! I'll give updates if I manage to figure out anything about this room.

Interesting. What kind of room is it, can you tell yet?

Btw, did you know that if you get spotted in the "sneak past the guards" event 4 times, on floor 60, the guards disappear completely and you can move on? I tested it and it was true.

Yeah, I was curious to see what happened if you screwed up too much and kept screwing up.

Last edited:
I created a topic at qhimm about the unused maps.
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11300.0

Hopefully someone will figure out something new. For those not in the know of what the map names stand for, here is a description;

BLACKBGF, BLACKBGG: Black space maps, aka Debug rooms. One of these, don't know which, is used for this Jp exclusive debug room: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3krwav_u4lg&feature=related
BLIN69_2: Second version of 69th floor of Shinra Building. I theorize this was meant as the "bloody" version of the floor.
CONVIL_3: Fort Condor map. I have no idea where this might fit.
DUMMY: Judging from the name, probably some sort of early test field. I can't confirm this though.
FSHIP_26: A map for the Highwind.
HYOU14: Great Glacier map. As though we didn't have enough already :P
JUNMON: Junon.
M_ENDO: Umm... Midgar?
ONNA_1, ONNA_3, ONNA_6: Honey Bee Inn maps. Visit these youtube links to view them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aG_6b2B8QY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DA5RrgIFPw
PASS: No idea where this might belong.
Q_5: Fifth Gelnika room.
SUBIN_4: Submarine map. I speculate this may have been a map for the scenario of the red submarine being destroyed (SUBIN_3 is a map you enter the grey submarine is destroyed) but that is purely speculation.
TRAP: An incomplete map, possibly retaining to an unused Yuffie scenario.
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9690.msg140216
^The above link also shows XMVTES, which resembles the area where you fight Jenova Synthesis.

WHITEBG1, WHITEBG2: As the name implies, white space maps. One of these, don't know which, is used for a JpOrg exclusive scene...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TROoK5t2GHI

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
I get the gist, but...it's in French :/

That's cool though.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
HOLY SHIT this is awesome!

Myst6re on qhimm unlocked a scene I have never seen before!

Skip to 08:22. You'll be amazed. The scene has been modded back in but it does exist in the game originally.

For original topic go here.
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11301.0

HOLY SHIT, INDEED!!!!

Is there an English translation of the French text?

(These are the sorts of things that I would LOVE to see back if they ever remade FFVII)

X :neo:

GlitterBerri

赤橙黄緑青紺&#
Yes, there is. A lot of it's scattered over the pages linked in this post, with the exception of the text for which an official English translation already existed. If someone wants to upload another video with English subtitles, be my guest.

Ite

AKA
Ite
I'm Canadian so I know a bit of french. I'm translating while watching (and approximating what an english version would look like):

"What's happening? This is shaking an awful lot.... Tifa, where are you?... I don't know where to go..."

Cloud: "Hey, how do they make materia?"
Sephiroth: "You don't know?"
Cloud: "Do you?"
Sephiroth: "It's the Planet. It takes years to make. After a little bit, it's Shinra--"

Barret: HEY! Say something!
Tifa: You okay?
All members of AVALANCHE: Cloud!
Cloud: Don't give me that look.
Barret: Tifa told me everything. If you want our help, you've got to fight again with us.
*Cloud poops materia*
Tifa: Amazing! So this is materia?
Cloud: Yeah. It unleashes the hidden powers within each person who uses it.
Tifa: Why do we use it?
Cloud: They told me once, but I've forgotten. The important thing is 'how'"
Tifa: Okay, how do we use it then?
Cloud: Let's drop it.
Barret: SOLDIER secret, huh? Whatever. That's cool. I already knew a little anyways... Hey Cloud. If you're so strong, why'd'ya quit SOLDIER?
Cloud: None of your business.
Barret: Wha?
*Jessie has a stroke*
Tifa: Let's just drop it, okay? We've got enough to worry about, like tomorrow's mission. We've got to get some rest.

edit: or I could have clicked Glitterberri's link. Whoops!

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
That's all kinds of epic, and totally made all those years of French class worth it.

Sephiroth: "It's the Planet. It takes years to make. After a little bit, it's Shinra--"

Only thing I would've changed in your awesome translation ite is the above line to: "Since a little while ago, it's Shinra--".

I couldn't find that line in GlitterBerri's links, sorry if I missed it and am just repeating stuff.

Edit: Nvm, found it, I'm just blind. Translated there as "Although, recently, Shinra" which is exactly the same idea.

Last edited:

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
I am officialy accepting that scene into my perssonal canon. Thank you very much for showing it.

Ite

AKA
Ite
It's pretty rocking. Huge Sephiroth is chilling as all hell, and that would have been his first appearance in the game. You could tell they were really experimenting with the cinematic quality of the game. I love the shot with all the members of AVALANCHE looking down at him. I think it's the only POV shot pre-FFX (that isn't a telescope or a keyhole). Neat stuff.

I think I can figure out why they cut it, though. The scene at the Mako Fountain changes things, they must have added that scene late in development. First of all, this deleted scene kind of implies that Tifa's never seen materia before. Also, Sephiroth explains materia much more eloquently in the Fountain scene. I also kind of like revealing more about materia later on. It gives the first chunk of the game a purposefully misleading shallowness. I feel like materia was presented as just a tool, like Mario's fire flower, and then the player learns more and more throughout the story. Like how Bilbo's ring was just a ring, and then, you know. Shit got real in Hobbiton.

One of FFVII's strengths was the exceptionally slow integration of the meta into the story. Kind of like how you didn't care what killing-the-Planet meant, you figured mako=fossil fuels and were satisfied... but then Cosmo Canyon blew your mind. For me, the scene in Bugenhagen's orrery was like watching pieces fit together and being all: "Holy crap I didn't even realize this was a puzzle but now I've gone and solved it." The super quick "Planet does stuff" line so early in the story might make sense to us now, but I don't know if the story would have affected me so much as a first-time gamer with that kind of info thrown at me from the get-go. It's a little too pronounced for my liking.

Last edited:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Speaking of materia production...

According to the game materia is made by either Shin-Ra or in mako fountains. It seems then that you should only find materia in shops (Shin-Ra made) or in mako fountains. However, materia is found on the ground all over the place. Either people have a habit of dropping materia or mako fountains are a lot more commonplace then Shin-Ra thinks.

Don't forget the fact that Chocobos seem to like puking up Materia. Choco/Mog, Enemy Skill, Contain... Why are they passing out crystallized mako from within their bodies?!

AND there is a Materia, Chocobo Lure, that even attracts them! I wonder if this attraction has some fundamental cause in evolutionary symbiosis between Chocobos and Materia or if it is an unintended side effect of evolution.
This is of course yet another example of looking *way* too deep into the game. :monster:

What is so attractive about the Materia btw? Is it the smell of it? Does it contain the crystallized thoughts of their dead bird ancestors?

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Or finding the Restore materia in the mako reactor. Isn't that the opposite of how it's supposed to work? And the Cover materia in Aerith's garden and the Ramuh materia in the jocky room... the list goes on and on.

It stuck out a lot to me because it's such an obvious breakage of the supposed rule of the world.

Last edited:
Top Bottom