• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FFVII Confessions & Mishaps

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
10 hours is super impressive! I have to imagine you were massively under leveled though. Sounds like that really affected Flintlock something awful. I applaud you both. I don't think I would ever be willing to put myself under the gun like that. Come to think of it, not sure I would have the time to do that with having a 3 year old running around....:shifty:
Lex's time was pretty incredible, especially considering he hadn't done a speed run before (I think). I understand he doesn't want to race ma again just yet, but maybe if I can beat his time he'll have to reconsider. :monster:

I fancy doing a HDINS run one of these days, just to make it even more difficult. I need to practise a couple of sections first though, particularly towards the end of the game. I'll probably stream it as well.

vaderSW1

Dark Knight of the Red Wings
Lex's time was pretty incredible, especially considering he hadn't done a speed run before (I think). I understand he doesn't want to race ma again just yet, but maybe if I can beat his time he'll have to reconsider. :monster:

I fancy doing a HDINS run one of these days, just to make it even more difficult. I need to practise a couple of sections first though, particularly towards the end of the game. I'll probably stream it as well.

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with HDINS?

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Half-day in no saves. The game has to be beaten in 12 hours of real time and saving isn't allowed. I would probably use save states just in case the emulator freezes or there's a power cut, but I wouldn't load them otherwise.

You can read more about HDINS, it's brother ODINS and lots of other challenges in this article I put together. :)

vaderSW1

Half-day in no saves. The game has to be beaten in 12 hours of real time and saving isn't allowed. I would probably use save states just in case the emulator freezes or there's a power cut, but I wouldn't load them otherwise.

You can read more about HDINS, it's brother ODINS and lots of other challenges in this article I put together. :)

Okay, I gotcha now! Holy shit, it looks you could drive yourself nuts trying to do a few of those options. LMAO! I'm not sure that kind of stress is for me. Although, I'm not going to lie, the one with not using any materia sounds very interesting. It almost sounds as challenging as beating Final Fantasy I with all white mages.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
the one with not using any materia sounds very interesting. It almost sounds as challenging as beating Final Fantasy I with all white mages.
Spoiler: it's not. :monster:

It's actually pretty easy, for a few reasons. First, Final Fantasy VII is not a difficult game to begin with. There are only a handful of really difficult bosses in the main storyline (Materia Keeper, Demon's Gate, Carry Armor). Second, there are dozens of useful items that are often the best way of dealing damage in battle, from the Grenade to the 8-inch Cannon. One strategy for beating Demon's Gate, for example, is just to throw Right Arms at it over and over, since each one takes off about 15% of its total HP. It's not difficult to farm X-Potions for healing either. Finally, the late-game equipment is seriously overpowered: equipping certain characters with their ultimate weapons (like Cid, since the Venus Gospel's power depends on his MP and he'll almost always have max MP), Mystiles and Ribbons makes them virtually unstoppable.

I usually recommend it to players as a good introduction to self-imposed challenges, since it's interesting without being particularly difficult, and it can be fun to think up new strategies and try out items which are otherwise often ignored.

vaderSW1

Spoiler: it's not. :monster:

It's actually pretty easy, for a few reasons. First, Final Fantasy VII is not a difficult game to begin with. There are only a handful of really difficult bosses in the main storyline (Materia Keeper, Demon's Gate, Carry Armor). Second, there are dozens of useful items that are often the best way of dealing damage in battle, from the Grenade to the 8-inch Cannon. One strategy for beating Demon's Gate, for example, is just to throw Right Arms at it over and over, since each one takes off about 15% of its total HP. It's not difficult to farm X-Potions for healing either. Finally, the late-game equipment is seriously overpowered: equipping certain characters with their ultimate weapons (like Cid, since the Venus Gospel's power depends on his MP and he'll almost always have max MP), Mystiles and Ribbons makes them virtually unstoppable.

I usually recommend it to players as a good introduction to self-imposed challenges, since it's interesting without being particularly difficult, and it can be fun to think up new strategies and try out items which are otherwise often ignored.

That totally makes sense. I may give this a try when I finish my current play through of Final Fantasy IX. I may actually combine this with trying to get all of the limit breaks. I've actually never done this before. I usually just roll with Cloud, Barrett, and Aerith through the early part of the game and then Cloud, Cid, and Vincent for the rest of the game.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I really believed in the myth of Aerith's resurrection. I must've spent weeks trying to get it done, but I gave up eventually and realised it was all a farce. :awesome:

RedFFWolf

Donator
So you've never finished Final Fantasy VII at all? You really should give it another shot. I'd recommend going with the Steam version. Or, if you can wait, give the PS4 version a go. Savor and enjoy it for everything that it is. IMO, graphically and musically it has not held up very well over the years. However, the story is still beautifully told and the characters are very compelling.

Oh no, that was just a joke - joking how I spent the rest of the game fruitlessly searching for this shop, hence never completing the area :)

Lex

Administrator

Come to think of it, I don't remember if I died while doing "FFVII in a day" a couple of years ago. I'm almost certain it wasn't half a day, I think I started at 11am and didn't finish til 2 or 3am. I know I saved so it wasn't HDINS, I think I took a break also. The only thing I really remember about it is a feeling of absolute dread with how much was left to go when I was at Temple of the Ancients (which I consider the halfway point).

Because I tend to play the game pretty consistently, when I start the game and play it for a long time I usually end up at Cosmo Canyon before ending the session. Doing the whole thing in a day was weird.

If you're doing HDINS we should definitely make it a TLS event :)

vaderSW1

Oh no, that was just a joke - joking how I spent the rest of the game fruitlessly searching for this shop, hence never completing the area :)

:) Okay, I'm with you now! I hope you gave whoever told you about that "shop" a bunch of shit afterwards.

Lex said:
Because I tend to play the game pretty consistently, when I start the game and play it for a long time I usually end up at Cosmo Canyon before ending the session. Doing the whole thing in a day was weird.

Wow, that's getting pretty far in on the first disc. I'm usually not ever able to commit that kind of time with having a kid running around. I wish I could. Usually if I am starting fresh on FF VII I have to cut myself off once I get out of Midgar.

Lex said:
If you're doing HDINS we should definitely make it a TLS event :)

If we can get the podcast back up and rolling, we can announce this HDINS on the pod!

Dravin

Awaiting 2017
Dunno if anyone else ever did this, but the very first time I finished the game years ago back in college and saw the ending, I thought that the entire adventure had taken place inside Aerith's head while she watched the mako pipe in Midgar due to the similarities in that part of the opening FMV and the last part of the ending FMV when it shows her in the lifestream. The opening bit was really just foreshadowing her eventual fate, but I didn't realize that at the time.

Kionae

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Desha
My first playthrough, I was honestly convinced Sephiroth was a woman the first time he showed up on screen, and continued thinking that until somewhere mid-way through disc 1.

I really wish I could remember which scene it was that made me go "Holy shit! That's a guy?".

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
Dunno if anyone else ever did this, but the very first time I finished the game years ago back in college and saw the ending, I thought that the entire adventure had taken place inside Aerith's head while she watched the mako pipe in Midgar due to the similarities in that part of the opening FMV and the last part of the ending FMV when it shows her in the lifestream. The opening bit was really just foreshadowing her eventual fate, but I didn't realize that at the time.

And it was all just a dream~~ :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
My first playthrough, I was honestly convinced Sephiroth was a woman the first time he showed up on screen, and continued thinking that until somewhere mid-way through disc 1.

I really wish I could remember which scene it was that made me go "Holy shit! That's a guy?".

I had that with Kuja, so confusing, :monster:. And that guy had like 5-10 times the polygons/textures!

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare

I actually had that in a manga I read recently. I thought a character was a woman all the way through until the end, when they referred to him as a him. Whoops. :P

RedFFWolf

Donator
Palmer came to mind the other day, and it reminded me of my first playthrough when I was a wee dot, and I thought Palmer was killed when the truck hit him after his battle.
So, when it came to the rocket launch in disc 2, I couldn't understand what was going on - I mean, I think I thought something along the lines of it being some pre-recorded thing or similar - honestly, I probably just blanked it out at that age ("if I don't understand, I don't have to acknowledge it just happened")

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
I remember another thing. My sister was watching me play during the Cloud/Aerith dating scene. Towards the end of the date we see an outside shot, fireworks n' all, and started seeing alot of "............" And my sister goes, "Do you know what that means?". I go "What?", and she says "They're doing it."

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE
I was stuck on Carry Armour, of all bosses, for ages. I actually stopped playing the game for months because I got annoyed with it. In my defense, I was about 9 or 10 and absolutely dire at the game, but I just couldn't get my head around the concept of taking out his arms to stop him picking up dudes.

It turned out alright though, my friend came round one day, I booted the game up to show him how "hard" the boss was, and I beat it. Since then he has proven to have mystical properties of endowing luck by his mere presence.

RedFFWolf

Donator
I was stuck on Carry Armour, of all bosses, for ages. I actually stopped playing the game for months because I got annoyed with it. In my defense, I was about 9 or 10 and absolutely dire at the game, but I just couldn't get my head around the concept of taking out his arms to stop him picking up dudes.

It turned out alright though, my friend came round one day, I booted the game up to show him how "hard" the boss was, and I beat it. Since then he has proven to have mystical properties of endowing luck by his mere presence.

I think he's known to give many a person much trouble! We all have that one boss! It's quite similar to what I mentioned in my first post of this thread: I never knew you could destroy Reno's pyramids - that was the hardest fight my brother and I ever had to endure in Final Fantasy (I mean, we were really young too, and just played on luck; we never even stopped to level up beforehand, for example)

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
whenever i show some 7 clips to my longtime internertz friend he always says something like "Oh yeah...the girly dude." and i always forget, cloud is one of the many bishies in FF but i don't see that in him. i guess it's because he's been such a strong solo character on his own it's easy to look past/ignore that. besides the many male characters in the future were designed much prettier than cloud so he just kinda drifted off into just "male looking". it's different with sephiroth, who is a character in his own right, because his beauty is one of the biggest points of his design. cloud was just simply designed with an effeminate face.

i guess what my confession is that i used to see how "girly" he looked when i was younger as a teenager, but now i don't and i can't. not a huge confession but just what was on my mind atm.

i hated (that's not even strong enough of a word) aerith and tifa in the game but eventually i just hated aerith because she wouldn't get out of cloud's face with that damn flirting when he wasn't doing a single thing back. i didn't hate tifa as much because she backed tf off early on and just focused on being his friend. i still don't like aerith.

i looked at the nibbleheym incident (CC ver) with my mother and when she saw zack run up to tifa and she turned away she thought sephy raped her :monster:

i didn't know what compilation meant until i became a fan of FF7. i thought S/E made the word up.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah, I'm always a little thrown off when someone unfamiliar with the series comments that Cloud looks "pretty," or "girly," and I think it's for exactly the reason you say. His character never has been and next to the likes of Kuja or most Amano art he doesn't look it at all, so my frame of reference is entirely different.

Last edited:

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
Yeah, I'm always a little thrown off when someone unfamiliar with the series comments that Cloud looks "pretty," or "girly," and I think it's for exactly the reason you say. His character never has been and next to the likes of Kuja or most Amano art he's doesn't look it at all, so my frame of reference is entirely different.

it's rather ironic and funny in that way, because there are memes within the fanbase of cloud edits with a girly ponytail or braids, and we must remember he even passed for a woman in the game itself FPS :monster: so maybe he was designed to be purposefully pretty (for that moment at least), but S/E didn't expect for the game to kick off into more and that part of him faded off as the compilation moved on. and as i said before FF still continued and had characters who fit the "pretty boy" aspect much better than he did.

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
i like to think that yuffie is cloud's friend he's closest to out of all of them. something about their shared air sickness problems and how nice he was to her near the end of the game makes me believe so.

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
i'm crying i just learned 10mins ago cloud's smile is his official theme song

Yeah, I'm always a little thrown off when someone unfamiliar with the series comments that Cloud looks "pretty," or "girly," and I think it's for exactly the reason you say. His character never has been and next to the likes of Kuja or most Amano art he's doesn't look it at all, so my frame of reference is entirely different.

it's rather ironic and funny in that way, because there are memes within the fanbase of cloud edits with a girly ponytail or braids, and we must remember he even passed for a woman in the game itself FPS :monster: so maybe he was designed to be purposefully pretty (for that moment at least), but S/E didn't expect for the game to kick off into more and that part of him faded off as the compilation moved on. and as i said before FF still continued and had characters who fit the "pretty boy" aspect much better than he did.

For me, Prompto in FFXV looks more like the Cloud I imagined in the OG than any GCI Cloud they've so far come up with. He's very fit but small and skinny, and has a slightly goofy face.

Top Bottom