• Due to datamining of the demo files, substantial leaks are now everywhere. As a reminder, some of these are in-development screenshots and may point to events that aren't going to be in the final game. Some of them are clearly going to be in the game. The TLS stance is this: Any thread which will contain discussion on the leaked images/ details must clearly contain [SPOILERS] within the title. Anything within those threads does not need to be spoiler tagged. Any POST anywhere on the board containing spoilers must be spoiler tagged or it will be removed and warned. Please report this where you see it. Let's try to make sure everyone can still freely post until everyone has a chance to play this game please!

FFVII Confessions & Mishaps

ChipNoir

Internet Ghost
AKA
Mister Spooks.
In my current run in New Threat Version, I kinda forgot to pick up two treasure chests during Midgar Raid. I'll never know what was in them. Sigh.

Actually a Compilation confession, but I can never memorize whether the OVA is called "Last Order" or "Lost Order".

Sometimes I remind myself with google search that it's called "Last Order" and I may remember it for a week or two, but inevitably I forget again soon after. I think this has been true for me ever since the OVA was released.

Vortigern

Lv. 25 Adventurer
FFVII was both my first PS1 and Console RPG game, having just recently discovered the series via the misleadingly named Final Fantasy Legend 3 on the GameBoy. Having grown up with Nintendo and Sega games having save features directly on the game cartridges themselves, I plowed into my first playthrough of FFVII none the wiser.

Just like I had in my initial playthrough of FFL3, my naivety with RPGs led me to put little emphasis on level grinding as I increasingly found the battles becoming more and more harrowing to finish with the party alive. My ill fortune caught up with me in the Elevator of Shinra HQ in the midst of the boss fights as I was finally greeted with the Game Over screen. Having seen it plenty of times in other games, I thought little of it until I found there had been no data to reload to start back up from...

"WHAT THE HELL IS A MEMORY CARD!?!?"

Ryvius

It's Rihv-EYE-us :P
Let’s see. When I first played it:
  • I thought Shinra was pronounced Shine-ra.
  • I attacked while the tail was up (thanks, Barret), but I still won.
  • I didn’t put any effort into making Cloud as fabulous as possible.
My second playthrough, I had serious trouble with the simultaneous team button press in that reactor, even though I had no problems during my first play through.

For years I pronounced the work 'Regen' like Reagan, as in Ronald Reagan.

I was well into adulthood and multiple FFs before I realised it was short for Regeneration, cause it regenerates HP
My brother and I used to call it a “Ronald Reagan.” We knew what it was supposed to be called, we just thought it was funny.

Last edited:

Erotic Materia

It MUST be a thing
I'm SO glad this thread exists. Here's a few of mine.

Here's mine: I got stuck for 6+ months in the junkyard after leaving sector 5 because I didn't know you could walk up the pipe (that leads you to the playground). My frustration was impossible to put into words. And once I finally figured it out, you better believe I spent days berating myself.

I still pronounce mako as may-ko in my head.
Oh thank god, it's not just me. I thought I was some secret freak. But "Mah-ko" just never sounded right to me, even if I know that's the proper pronunciation. Like, why is Mako shark pronounced differently?

I have never succeeded in sneaking past the Shinra guards on the 60th floor
Dirty casuals...

EDIT: After reading through this thread, apparently I've been saying "Yuffie" wrong in my head all these years, too. WHY would you do a hard U followed by two Fs? It defies the norms of english pronunciation. "Yufie" would be a better spelling.

Last edited:

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream
I used to say may-ko until the Compilation gave us the mah-ko pronunciation. Also, the first time I ever played, I thought Aerith was just a random passerby, didn't buy a flower, and sent her on her way. I also used to think, very early on, that the entire game took place in Aerith's head since her face surrounded by mako/lifestream is the first and last thing we see in the game and that I thought it all happened in her mind while she was gazing at that broken mako pipe in Midgar before walking away.

Odysseus

Pro Adventurer
Early in the game Tifa asks Cloud if he and Barret fought. If you say no, she say something like "whew, that's a relief. You used to get into fights all the time when you were little." For some reason I took this to mean that Cloud and Barret used to fight with each other when they were kids, and that they were also childhood friends. I continued to think this for some time, despite absolutely nothing in the game supporting it.

Erotic Materia

It MUST be a thing
Early in the game Tifa asks Cloud if he and Barret fought. If you say no, she say something like "whew, that's a relief. You used to get into fights all the time when you were little." For some reason I took this to mean that Cloud and Barret used to fight with each other when they were kids, and that they were also childhood friends. I continued to think this for some time, despite absolutely nothing in the game supporting it.
lol, in a conversation near to that one, the "Next to you, who wouldn't?" response when Tifa asks how you slept went completely over my head as a kid. I read it as "aside from you" and I didn't get what that meant, and Tifa said she didn't either :lol:
Same to both! When I got to that same spot after reaching adulthood, the light bulb came on, and I was all like

Top Bottom