FFVII: Ever Crisis Announced

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Awesome, a release date! I wasn't able to play the beta, so I'm excited to see what all the hype is about.

As for that image: yikes. It was already _a choice_ to smoosh the OG meteor logo to be the Buster Sword's shadow. But having the background be in the shape of an angel wing? One that's facing down for some reason?? It looks so silly, you don't have to work a wing into there...

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
BuT hOw ArE pEoPlE GoNnA KnOw It'S Ff7 WiThOuT SePhIrOtH?? He's everyone's faaaavorite

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
We’ll probably get a rebirth trailer showing them off on or before September 7th. Or we won’t be able to get far enough to recruit them. I’d be surprised if they let us see them in EC first.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Looks like the Google Play release date was accurate. :monster:

We'll know very soon but I really don't think the entirety of FFVII's story will be available September 7th. It just fundamentally goes against the purpose and structure of a gacha. They're going to release things bit-by-bit to keep interest and make the content last longer. Also, I think we'd have seen something post Kalm flashback, if that were the case.

Highwind

Pro Adventurer
We’ll probably get a rebirth trailer showing them off on or before September 7th. Or we won’t be able to get far enough to recruit them. I’d be surprised if they let us see them in EC first.
Gamescom Opening Night Live is on August 22nd. Keighley already had the last Rebirth trailer on his show, so it's possible.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Totally forgot about Gamescom this month. Though Remake didn't receive a new trailer at Gamescom in 2019, it was the first time the game was playable to the public.

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
Looks like the Google Play release date was accurate. :monster:

We'll know very soon but I really don't think the entirety of FFVII's story will be available September 7th. It just fundamentally goes against the purpose and structure of a gacha. They're going to release things bit-by-bit to keep interest and make the content last longer. Also, I think we'd have seen something post Kalm flashback, if that were the case.
I'm pretty sure whoever it was that claimed it was "the full game at launch" mistranslated something. It'll be rolled out over time, based on the beta maybe a new chapter section added for a game every week or two.

BC, AC, and DC will probably each start getting added much further down the line.

BlueCollarNerd

Pro Adventurer
When I played the beta version you had to play a few chapters of FF7, then play a few chapters of CC, and a few chapters of the FS storyline, before you could progress farther in ff7 storyline.

This gives you access to more characters so you can mix and match your partys for the option dungeons where exp, crafting material, gear is earned.

So you can't just run through one story line without experiencing the others and also let's them intertwine the story's how they like. It almost felt like ff8 with its laguna/squall story

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
What the hell does that even mean?

I swear to god some people just be stringing words together lol...

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Still no footage of the OG's scenario beyond Midgar.

As a refresher, here's what RPG Site was told in July:

1693459679100.png

https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/145...-into-how-everything-works-in-ff7-ever-crisis

However, that remains to be seen at all. Here's how I imagine the conversation actually went down:

James from RPG Site: "Will this include the game's entire story?" (is talking about the original game)
Square Enix PR: "Yes, the entire story will be available at launch." (is talking about Remake)

Last edited:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I've been taking a bit of a vacation from FFVII these past two months, but EC is poised to drag me back.

However, the fact that EC is a gacha mobile game lingers heavily in the back of my mind. Me being me, I loathe the business model and the fact that it’ll inevitably become lost media. We’re in a bit of a catch-22. I want the game to be successful enough for us to see the entirety of FS and BC’s stories, but not so successful that it rewards greed and encourages SE to push similar business models in the future.

I’ve seen people speculate that if EC is successful, then perhaps they’ll make a console version. I consider that highly unlikely. The gacha model only works if the developers are able to consistently draw players back in. If a console version were available, then that draw is significantly diminished. It wouldn’t be a simple endeavor either. The game would need to receive a massive retooling to be balanced around fun and not FOMO.

On the bright side, when I consider the Remake Project in its entirety, I quite like where EC is positioned. It makes for a great compliment. While not a full replacement for any of the titles contained within it, I think it’ll provide new players with what they need to know. Especially in regards to plot deviations. As someone who browses the Remake subreddit, I know there are quite a few people who started with Remake and have no interest in playing the older games. From that perspective, playing EC will elevate Remake. It’s a modern game (perhaps too modern) that’ll show precisely where the plot deviations are, therefore making Remake’s events and theme more impactful.

Perhaps in the future EC + The Remake Project will be a viable and perfectly acceptable way to experience the saga. The idea is appealing even to me because of how streamlined it makes everything. But as stated at the top, it’s not a permanent solution. All I can do now is hope for the best.

Last edited:

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
However, the fact that EC is a gacha mobile game lingers heavily in the back of my mind. Me being me, I loathe the business model and the fact that it’ll inevitably become lost media.
That's certainly not a given, and they're setting up the game in a way that should allow it to continue to exist as a paid standalone title when it reaches end of service, not that Square Enix has a great track record of doing that.

roku

Pro Adventurer
That's certainly not a given, and they're setting up the game in a way that should allow it to continue to exist as a paid standalone title when it reaches end of service, not that Square Enix has a great track record of doing that.
Yeah they did that with star ocean and kingdom hearts union x/dark road.

Top Bottom