SPOILERS FFVII:R Chapter 2 Spoiler Discussion

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel
Holy hell, chapter 2 was lit!

I don't know how it's possible to not stop smiling for a full hour, but I managed it! Everything from the moment Cloud 'bumped' into Sephiroth when they lured you into thinking that the hallucination had ended, all the way through seeing so much of the Sector and it's damage, and through the epic escape with the rocking music and the grunt battles ... wow. That was incredible.

And then to keep that bit of humour with the Shinra employees on the train. God. So much care. So much love. This is beautiful.
Exactly! Like it was saying you thought sephiroth was a problem before in original so here have these scenes where we really show just how big a problem he really is and yeah the whole chapter 2'was just amazing and so forth

Spent so much time just loitering around people and eavesdropping on their conversations. Must resist urge to compile all npc dialogue! I'll never get through the game otherwise
I can't resist the urge to unlock every possible NPC dialogue. Must have spent an hour in Chapter 2 just running back and forth and making sure I had heard every NPC line. Yes, I am being JUST AS THOROUGH in later chapters. It is quite exhausting. :wacky:

While I am recording everything I have no plans to compile all the text. I'll leave that for the data mining folks who can just copy-paste the text from the game files. :monster:

- It may be a bit much but I'm hoping that either in a patch or for a re-release on the PS5 that the various locations of this game gets at least a few more unique NPC models. The fact that three copies of the same NPC model would often appear in close proximity to each other took me ever so slightly out of the experience. Admittedly this is a vain nitpick, since no matter how few clones there are you will always be "taken out" of the experience as soon as you spot even just one or two NPC clones, so you might as well teach the player early on that "yes, we re-use assets here". The only way to avoid this is to make every NPC unique, which is almost certainly going overboard. The gigantic scale of the FFVII Remake is already ridiculous as is. A person can dream though.

- While revisiting Chapter 2 I somehow triggered a sound bug where voices became distant and echoed as soon as Sephiroth appeared next to Aerith. Anyone else encountered this? Voices, BGM and SFX were set to max volume while playing this segment.

The only other time I experienced a "major" sound bug was while playing the demo and the BGM was completely silenced. I was unable to replicate that bug.

- Let us all have a moment of silence for GOBLINS/GOBLIN'S BAR. While I massively appreciate the redesign of Loveless Street I was surprised that GOBLINS BAR was nowhere to be found. Nor was INTELLECT MIDGUL anywhere. :monster: Here is hoping that GOBLIN'S BAR appears in some other location and that it will be themed after the Goblin enemy, with the special drink being named "Goblin Punch". Make it happen, Square!

- Here is the history of the "SHINRA OIL" sign. It first appeared in the PS3 Tech Demo presentation, barely distinguishable in the background but at this point it read "SINRA OIL".
sinra-oil-2005.png

In 2007/2008 the texture was re-used in Crisis Core, both in-game and in the epilogue FMV.
shinra-oil.png

sinra-oil.png

myeFUq6.png

FFVIIR at long last corrects the spelling mistake and thus ends our journey with the Sinra/Shinra Oil sign.

- In Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus we can see this sign/board littered from place to place in the city of Edge.

MIDGAR​
禅​
EDGE TEMPLE​
edge-temple_Advent-Children.png

禅 [zen, silent meditation]. What kind of establishment it represents is unclear.

Albeit not with the subtitle "EDGE TEMPLE" as far as we can tell.

edge-temple_ffviir.png

The sign reads:
MIDGAR

ZEN
HEALTHY & FRESH

The sign appears in lower resolution in two other locations. The subtitle here has changed to read something-something RESTAURANT.
*Bonus: The katakana in the poster above it appears to read ラストフライト [Last Flight].​

The subtitle "EDGE TEMPLE" in AC and DoC made me speculate that it was some sort of religious establishment, perhaps unique to the post-OG timeline. FFVIIR seems to hint at it being a restaurant.

- Chicken confirmed to be a thing in FFVII

- Turkey (and other foods) confirmed to be a thing in FFVII

- This has been such a long time coming. In the original script (as well as in the unused text and in the Early Material Files) it was said that the plate is 50 meters above ground, much to the raised eyebrows of FFVII nerds.

5iLEw9U.png

Jessie​
“This is a complete model​
of the city of Midgar.”​
“It's about a 1/10000 scale.”​
“The top plate is about 50 meters​
above ground.”​

Finally this was amended and the height was changed from 50 meters to 300 meters. Good on you, FFVIIR. *applauds*

Back To Black

Pro Adventurer
Just keeps on getting better, I haven't smiled on the inside and outside in such a long time. Nostalgia and new born curiosity merged together.

Still laughing at some rando called Stephen having a cafe in Midgar.

Cloud,Tifa, Barret, Sephiroth..........Stephen.

Teioh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Teiocho
Welcome to the spoiler threads Odysseus and to all those soon to join :joy: this is the part I was looking forward to the most since the announcement - everyone here playing the game and joining in on the discussion about their experience. People posting little hints and tips. Pointing out the things they love. Things that they've noticed. To be a part of that community while it's happening. Don't mind me, I'm just feeling an overwhelming sense of joy which is only growing as more and more people get their hands on the game.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Yeah I've been waiting for your posts on this part of the forums. What did you think about the Sephiroth part?
When the burning city started morphing into Niblehiem, I literally just blurted out "This game is fucking perfect!" I'm so goddamn happy right now. I also feel obligated to add that the bit where Jessie gives cloud the materia is adorable. He's trying so hard to be cool lol. Dunno how to feel about Sephiroth's changed role, but we'll see. "you can't save anybody" was a little on the nose. I just got on the train, will report back later.

EDIT: Well the chapter ended right after that, shoulda waited a little longer.

The fucking scene with the Shinra Manger was amazing, I burst out laughing when his co workers started applauding him. Barret needs to learn some damn subtly too, geez. Everyone's gonna know he did it! I liked that the Avalanche crew were all shaken up about the damage, I'm hoping that gets developed more. Jessie shushing Cloud was 10/10. On to Chapter 3!

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i am hoping there will be more shinra manager and friends like in the original game where you keep seeing him around

also barret pls stop making it so obvious that you're in avalanche

also i was shocked at the inclusion of a track from ac but it was good shock

also how cute is carbuncle

also i kind of liked the sephiroth appearance, i thought it was a bit creepy. and the part where he's talking about what i read as cloud's mum begging to spare her son

i don't know if anyone else got this but when you're on the train in one of the passenger cars, if you have the talk log (subs for npc/atmosphere dialogues) one of the npcs' dialogue will have ???? in the name line. she kept saying the same lines but i have forgotten what they were now lol (あたしに何か用? and something about getting away from her?) from the mouth animation when they were speaking it looked like it was a woman with a newsboy cap on, which i don't think is one of the repeated models you see a bunch of times. at least i don't remember seeing that one before.

anyway my first thought was 'is that kyrie from the turks novel??' and she will show up more later. i can't remember the description of her outfit but i thought she had a cap. don't tell me more, i want to be surprised/disappointed on my own.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
Chapter 2 was a nice surprise and full of squealing material for old little me.

I'm happy with the role they have given Sephiroth. Many fans will approach this game after knowing him and Cloud from the KH series, so no mystery on who he was int he first place, especially after Crisis Core. I love that the flashbacks now play a more prominent role and are treated as an extremely serious matter, instead of something that happened at key points and you even might forget they happened at all.

Also, holy cow! They learned from XV and crancked Seph's cruelty to eleven! In the OG Seph taunted Cloud, but it was very different from this. I mean, Seph had a grudge againts him, but you didn't discover it until much later in the game. Now they have established right off the bat that there's some serious beef between them. Don't get me started on Sephiroth putting his hand on Aerith's shoulder and taunting Cloud...

And... I had to laugh at some parts, despite myself... Like when cloud tried to turn around and nearly bumped into Sephiroth... or when Sephiroth said that line about not wanting the Planet to die because that's what connects him with Cloud and if that disappeared he wouldn't want to live in a world like that... That's some fuel for yaoi fanfict writers :awesome:

But yeah, I loved, loved, loved the Nibelheim's flashbacks and the addition of that cello rendition of ACC's intro song... there are so many things! This is a true work of love!

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
The cello rendition of The Promised Land is fantastic, and really set the scene. I honestly didn't want to move on while it was playing. The addition of Aerith's Theme while you're making a choice about the flower was a really nice touch too.

In terms of character and story, I liked Sephiroth specifically mentioning killing Cloud's mom. Good bit of cruelty there. Also, after working some shitty jobs myself, I'm actually really sympathizing with Cloud this go around. Man just wants to get paid for a job done dammit.

Finally, the star of this chapter was the combat; it is so, so fun. I knew the best strategy before fighting the Hunstman so he was easy, but I'm looking forward to getting rocked by the bosses I know nothing about strategy-wise.

Philco

Pro Adventurer
I'd forgotten how this new Sephiroth's voice sounded, I was expecting it to be deeper. Got used to it after a minute though, I'm actually really liking the English voices for once!

I don't know what it was but something about Sephiroth's animation when you have to follow him made me laugh... maybe just the way he's strolling along so casually? I don't know, there's a lot of ridiculous moments but they're such a good kind of ridiculous, I'm really enjoying everything so far!

Saven

Pro Adventurer
I'd forgotten how this new Sephiroth's voice sounded, I was expecting it to be deeper. Got used to it after a minute though, I'm actually really liking the English voices for once!

I don't know what it was but something about Sephiroth's animation when you have to follow him made me laugh... maybe just the way he's strolling along so casually? I don't know, there's a lot of ridiculous moments but they're such a good kind of ridiculous, I'm really enjoying everything so far!

Sephiroth's casual stroll made me laugh. I hope he does that all the time. I will say that Square has done a much better showing us that Sephiroth has history with Cloud that I felt was somewhat lacking in the original.

Last edited:

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Impressions on chapter 2!

Excellent chapter overall, so many awesome things going on!
- Loved Barret's speech on taking the burden of his comrades. Spoke like a leader.
- Cloud's hallucinations of Sephiroth were awesome. The coldness of his words. That line when he describes cutting through the flesh of Cloud's mum *shivers*
- I wonder what's going to be the deal with the 'Guardians' of Fate'. I sense a strong relationship with 'Sephiroth's clones' from the OG... but what is it going to be?
- All the 'post-disaster' atmosphere in the streets of Midgar is rendered so well, very good work on the 'background NPC lines'.
- And the escape by jumping on the train is always cool, although that had been showcased as early as Dec. 2015. I like that interesting detail about one of the troopers recognizing Cloud (or his sword).
- I totally fanboyed over the Shinra Middle Manager. He's exactly the kind of presence I was hoping for in the remake. Well done son, you don't get shit from no eco-terrorist! (properly claps hands in approval like a true Shinra employee).

Fangu

Great Old One
Cloud solo through the streets right after the bombing mission was what sold this game for me. I had a blast trying out and learning about the battle system. This is where things started getting fun and was the reason I ended up playing 7 chapters in a row. It also looks so pretty. It's absolutely weird the first street is called 'Loveless street' but I loved it. Such a call to the major Loveless sign you see in the OG.

The Aerith scene was great minus the shadow thingies. Not a fan. That scene is sort of supposed to be serene?

Also the early Sephroth stuff - I don't mind it, but that slow-down effect XIII-2 style Void style makes me mad. It's probably a loading screen, but still.

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
I liked this chapter for the most part, Sephiroth appearing during the meeting with Aerith was unexpected and sinister, as was Cloud's whole experience with him just before that. His interactions with Jessie giving him the materia were great, and she gets on you if you can't find her after she climbs up. It's pretty funny.

One thing I wonder, though, is why she never said anything to Cloud about the flower after he got on the train. With as big a flirt as she is, you'd think she would, especially since she did flirt with him in other ways while looking at the train monitor. It's right there in front of her, after all. It's not a huge deal, though, what with all the great moments they had together in Chapter 4, but it was still something that didn't make sense to me. A little sad, too, that we didn't get to see her clean Cloud's face, but again, Chapter 4 (and Jessie's reward for the bike minigame) more than made up for that.

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
Kinda wish the first Aerith scene was normal, (no shadow things). Should have introduced them later maybe.
I like that Cloud's got weird flashbacks, knowing the plot from the original it makes sense to have Cloud messed up in the head from the start and to show it early. Also to much Sephiroth to soon, other than that I'm loving it. :monster:

I hasn't a fan of the combat in the demo but I've used to it already. You take damage from every fight (like you should) and you have to manage that damage, the characters aren't walking tanks. The original you could just hold down the X button for a dozen fights then pop Cure-all or a Tent to be back to full. Because you always take damage each fight feels like it matters.

Sasseli

~*:Newbie:*~
I'm still excited that I was totally right about that Shinra grunt who recognizes C̵l̵o̵u̵d̵ the Sword. I wonder who he is. Would be nice to have some background story, but I guess that's what CC was for... Screenshot_20190511-174721_YouTube.jpg

Everything else has already been said (this chapter is already so far away). I knew about Sephiroth appearing, but it was still a shock how much screen time he actually got. Can't say I like his new English voice too much, but I'll probably get used to it (still haven't so far...).
I'll have to watch a playthrough or play it again to appreciate the music. So much is happening that I can't even remember or pay attention to everything.
The amount of destruction dealt by the explosion feels so much heavier and worse than it did in the OG. You can really feel the people's fear and distress. This will be so much heavier when the sector 7 destruction comes around...

Jairus

Was just screencapping video from this chapter when I noticed this:

YEyyYD1.jpg

Jessie definitely saw the flower, but she never said anything about it even though it's perfect material for flirting. Still not sure why she kept quiet about since it doesn't seem to make much sense given her personality. I wish there was some hidden thing you could do on the train to get her to talk about it and give you the chance to give it to her or at least try to, but there doesn't seem to be anything. It's alright, though. Jessie gets plenty of other good things with Cloud in the time she has with him, so it's not a big deal. Just something I still don't understand, is all.

Jairus

Maybe, though fear of rejection never seemed to stop her at any other time.
Even if you have him turn down her date invitation in Chapter 4, she still flirts with him.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I think it's simply because it's the start of the cloti scene in ch14, so Cloud can't give it to anyone else but Tifa.

Jairus

I get that, but they could've made two different versions of the scene, one for if you gave her the flower, and one for if you gave it to Jessie instead. The only difference would be in Tifa's dialogue.

Top Bottom