SPOILERS FFVII:R Chapter 3 Spoiler Discussion

Jimmy XH

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, from memory he seems to perk up pretty quickly at the station when Tifa arrives and finds him.

Licorice does have a point. There is still a bit of a question mark over how much time there was between that moment and the bombing run. Surely they won’t have gone out that same day, so what happened in the meantime?

This was a bit of the story that I took a bit more time to understand originally and still provides more questions (How did he get there? Where did they go afterwards?) so if they could provide some answers when the time is right, that would be greatly appreciated!

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Barret is definitely my favorite character so far. He's such a no bullshit person, but is also very warm and caring about people and things he loves. The scene with Marlene made me tear up.

I really like the scenes with Tifa and getting to fight around sector 7. It's really cool that we got to spend more time around it. Playing darts while listening to a jazzy rendition of Tifa's Theme was a lot of fun. (I'm guessing we'll get more of these songs to collect)

I'm surprised I like the battle and weapon upgrade system

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I don't mind being spoiled about it, but I just want a yes or no. Do we not get "sources" in this? The weapon upgrade system, made me believe we don't

Sasseli

~*:Newbie:*~
Wow... wow. I can't find words to describe the game... wonderful maybe? That's far from enough, but it pretty much sums it up for me. ^_^
I've played well into chapter 4 today, not having completed everything there was in 3, but I guess, Chadley is still around, so I didn't feel the need to complete all his quests. He doesn't quite fit in, what's with him being a minor and working all day? And the ribbon- thing on his shoulder is kinda... distracting?
And sometimes the noises all around are a bit too much. I kinda wish the dialogues wouldn't repeat endlessly. Like, after someone said something, I'd rather push a button if, for some reason, I wanted to hear it again, but well, it's not too annoying. This hip hop chocobo remix thingy is, though. :awesome:

But that's about all the slightly negative stuff I've encountered so far.

Man, am I the only one who got game over'ed multiple times so far? The motorcycle race got me twice there. Twice. Third time was the charme, I guess. The second fight with him nearly got me, too. I definitely don't find the normal mode too easy... Embarrassing to say, those hoodlums beat me once, as well. :wacky:
I'm so excited for everything to come! I'll definitely have to up my battle skills!

Last edited:

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Are we meant to believe that Tifa found Cloud at the railway station, took him back to 7th Heaven, and he went on the reactor 1 bombing mission that same night? If not, then where has he been living in the meantime? I find the thought incredibly jarring because when she found him, he was still sick from mako poisoning.
Personally, my new head-canon is that when Tifa found Cloud, she didn't have a place for him to sleep. It's not like she could have easily hosted him in her own apartment, right? So in my view, it could have been entirely possible for Cloud to have to sleep rough for a few days (like, on the floor in the 7th heaven without a mattress). So when Tifa tells him 'hey, I have a place for you to stay', that would have been quite the upgrade.
Alternatively, Tifa could have gotten Cloud a cheap hotel room for a few days out of her own pocket, knowing that wouldn't have been sustainable.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I really miss Avalanche's basement lair. I wonder why they decided to leave that out. It was iconic.
The thing that gets me is that this was a very deliberate choice. There's no way they left it out just for the sake on not modeling another room. They still go out of their way to establish that the pinball elevator is there, too. I think the change was made to heighten Cloud's sense of isolation from the group.
before the dementors show up and push Jessie down some stairs, Cloud was pretty much just ready to ditch Avalanche. Barret clearly didn't want him around. I think him not going down to the secret base was to highlight that Cloud was never accepted into the group.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Thoughts on chapter 3 (in no particular order)

- Why do Tifa and Cloud need apartments? In the OG I thought the group all lived at the bar. :( What is the second floor even for?

- I do like Marle though. Can she be my grandma?

- People really be complaining that there were too many side quests? TBH I didn't think there were enough. I blew through them faster than I thought I would. Unless we get to come back and there's more later?

- Cloud was straight up going to just...murder Johnny. Wtf that threw me for a loop. What even is going on?

- Chadly is the only reason why I use assess. I wouldn't bother otherwise.

- Got a score of 6 on the darts. I have seen people somehow get 5 but 6 was honestly all that was needed. Took me a few tries because first round I didn't understand how scoring worked and the second time I somehow kept landing on 1. :monster:

- CATS. So many cats. I love them all. But I worry about them because...you know...this is sector 7 after all... :'(

- @discussion of the dude living next door to Cloud: maybe what we saw was in the past? Jenova did start off in the Shinra building in the beginning of the story. Maybe he was trying to get to Jenova in Midgar before she inevitably makes her way North?

- Cats cats cats

- Did Wymer just make a
Deepground
reference?

Last edited:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I believe Tifa and Cloud have their own apartment because Barret and Marlene live in Seventh Heaven exclusively. Presumably Barret would not be welcoming of Cloud staying there at this point in the story.

Cloud was going to off Johnny because Johnny had “loose-lips” and had already made himself a target for Shinra to pursue for information on Avalanche.

The Sephiroth copy presumably gave Cloud a hive-mind vision of other Sephiroth copies gathering at the Whirlwind Maze.

Master Bates

Do you enjoy your life?
AKA
Mr. Koiwai
So because I just replayed some parts of this Chapter because Tifa...

-When Tifa asked Cloud what it'll be at the bar, the dialogue box containing Cloud's options (something hard vs not in the mood) was clearly strategically placed. ;)
-When Tifa served Cloud her specialty drink, and Cloud told her "beautiful" (whether it was about the drink or her specifically), Tifa looked adorably bashful and BIT HER BOTTOM LIP. I am slain.
-I understand Cloud's apartment is cheap, but it's abusive when you can't even take a dump in the apartment bathroom. Can't even file a complaint to Marle. I need those gil back.
-There were two tween kids NPCs sitting at a bench at the playground talking about getting married in the future and how much it would cost to live in the upper plates or something like that. Was shookt. One of the kids told their father about their plans, but apparently the father just brushed it off and laughed.

I always assumed it was Tifa who owned 7th Heaven, but the fact that she doesn't live there, and Barret does, suggests to me that she is only an employee. So then, who does own 7th Heaven? The Remake doesn't clarify. It could be Barret, since he lives there. But...

My new headcanon is that Mayor Domino owns 7th Heaven. He put Barret's cell in there to use as their HQ. Domino owns a lot of slum properties. He owns Stargazer Heights, too. That's why Marle is an Avalanche sympathiser; he put her there. And that's how she can afford to give away her rooms instead of charging rent for them.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I always assumed it was Tifa who owned 7th Heaven, but the fact that she doesn't live there, and Barret does, suggests to me that she is only an employee. So then, who does own 7th Heaven? The Remake doesn't clarify. It could be Barret, since he lives there. But...

My new headcanon is that Mayor Domino owns 7th Heaven. He put Barret's cell in there to use as their HQ. Domino owns a lot of slum properties. He owns Stargazer Heights, too. That's why Marle is an Avalanche sympathiser; he put her there. And that's how she can afford to give away her rooms instead of charging rent for them.

Seventh Heaven is Barret and Marlene's house but Marlene wasn't even born yet when Tifa came to Midgar and Marle helped get her set up. So I don't think Marle and Tifa got their place via AVALANCHE.

Why not? Avalanche pre-dates Tifa arriving in Midgar, and we don't need to assume she's been working in 7th Heaven, or living at Marle's place, since the day she arrived. IIRC, doesn't she say Johnny's parents also helped her out?

Look, I'm not claiming this as canon. I'm just saying it's my headcanon, and nothing in the Remake contradicts it. I was really expecting the Remake to make the ownership of 7th Heaven clear, but it didn't. Unless there's something in the Ultimania?

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Why not? Avalanche pre-dates Tifa arriving in Midgar, and we don't need to assume she's been working in 7th Heaven, or living at Marle's place, since the day she arrived. IIRC, doesn't she say Johnny's parents also helped her out?

Look, I'm not claiming this as canon. I'm just saying it's my headcanon, and nothing in the Remake contradicts it. I was really expecting the Remake to make the ownership of 7th Heaven clear, but it didn't. Unless there's something in the Ultimania?

Tifa says Marle helped get her set up 5 years ago, I don't remember her saying something similiar about Johnny's parents. I never get the impression that Tifa and Marle are more senior members of AVALANCHE then Barret. I don't think anything outright contradicts it though.

I don't know the exact words, but she's a friend to the cause. Do you have to shoot Shinra infantrymen or blow up reactors to be in Avalanche? If she's helping terrorists by providing them with accomodation free of charge, she's working for Avalanche.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Replaying chapter 3 to knock out the outfit collection trophy (before I get cracking on Hard Mode). I love it when you first walk towards Seventh Heaven, the camera auto-focuses on Tifa (and Marlene) in the distance.

If a scene like this was in a movie, this would be the camera not-so-subtly saying that Cloud looooooOOOOOOOVES Tifa.

Reactions: Wol

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
PS5 impressions (I'll play Intermission later):
Overall very happy with the graphics and texture upgrades, and I don't mean just THE door. I'm not playing in 4K, mind you. Background textures have gained quite a bit in resolution and give a much better impression of seeing the details much further into the distance. Also, main MPCs (e.g. side-quest givers, shop owners) seem to have gained polygons in addition to the upgraded textures, which also helps a lot with the quality of the lip-sync. So it's really a sum of tiny things combined together that improves the experience a lot. I'm also enjoying the upgrades on the lighting and fog-effect to render a dusty environment (very noticeable on the Johnny rescue, for instance).
Although I was disappointed by the Photo-mode limitations at first, now I'm enjoying the hell out of it. In particular, the ability to use Tactical mode in combat to set up the moment to take a snapshot allows for some kick-ass combat pictures.
FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE_20210610163415.jpg
FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE_20210610172259.jpg
FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE_20210610173341.jpg
FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE_20210610181233.jpg
FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE_20210610182620.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom