SPOILERS FFVII:R Chapter 8 Spoiler Discussion

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I have no idea how a skybox works and indeed never even heard the term before all of this, but it is surprising they couldn't have one of sectors 5 and 6 that you simply progress under as you move across the ground?

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I have no idea how a skybox works and indeed never even heard the term before all of this, but it is surprising they couldn't have one of sectors 5 and 6 that you simply progress under as you move across the ground?
Sky boxes are big 2D images that give the illusion of 3D space, you couldn't have the perspective shift like that. Sector 5 would have needed its own skybox.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, it seems like an important detail to nail down. I wonder if the size of the area is the problem? Going from the church to the end of sector five is quite the ways, so maybe they were already having issues with loading new assets in time? I'm very curious about what happened here.

Last edited:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Sky boxes are big 2D images that give the illusion of 3D space, you couldn't have the perspective shift like that. Sector 5 would have needed its own skybox.
The only difference between the Sector 7 skybox from Chapter 3 and the Sector 5 skybox in Chapter 8 is that Sector 6, the broken plate needs to be ont he other side. Can't they have inverted it, or even used Sector 7 as is, instead of the huge glaring error right above their heads?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
It SOUNDS like they intended for it to change. Because when you're walking to Sector 6 with Aerith for the first time (very beginning of chapter 9, not a spoiler I'm pretty sure :P ), Cloud comments on being able to see the sky. Which is odd as presented because the sky's been over you for a chapter, but you should be crossing into Sector 6 at that point and Cloud's dialogue makes sense.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Sector five and six are both on the same big map. I think the issue is that Square couldn't transition the skybox for some reason. You'd think they could have added a tunnel of something that would disguise the transition.
It SOUNDS like they intended for it to change. Because when you're walking to Sector 6 with Aerith for the first time (very beginning of chapter 9, not a spoiler I'm pretty sure :P ), Cloud comments on being able to see the sky. Which is odd as presented because the sky's been over you for a chapter, but you should be crossing into Sector 6 at that point and Cloud's dialogue makes sense.
Also there is already a masked transition between the Sector 5 slums and Sector 6 slums, in the form of the small tunnel in the big wall between two sector slums (the one that Aerith hangs out at at the end of Chapter 8/Beginning of Chapter 9). And it actually does affect the the background render/skybox as once you pass into the actually Sector 6 area the Support Pillar that you can see while in the Sector 5 area disappears (though Sector 6 should also have its own separate support pillar that is visible, so that another separate issue), so the game already does use a masked loading area for the two sectors. Which makes the goof of using the Sector 6 plate in Sector 5 even more weird (plus the mistake of using the Sector 6 plate during the ending sequence where the open sky of where the Sector 7 plate used to be should be).

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
I suspect it's not a "nobody noticed" issue and more of a "lesser priority compared to other issues" issue. I don't know what went on there, but from hearing about other games in development, it's really rare for something like this to just not get noticed at all. The devs realize it's an issue, but it's more important to stomp out game-breaking bugs and the like.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
And so we wake up in the church. It's so odd to see Aeris' dress move like actual fabric, I'm so used to the solid block. Also, she's always Aeris to me.

And Reno shows up, allows nine subordinates to get killed for no reason, and I keep forgetting not to evade roll across
the flowers. Apparently the Turks don't watch the live feed of terrorist attacks?

Reno attacks, loses, he's pretty annoying to fight but okay. Cloud goes for the kill... and the ghosts save him?

I can't believe this. They're the Ghosts of Canon Past. When Cloud wasn't going to reactor five, they injured Jessie to put him on the team. When he was about to kill Reno, they saved him. They're... the incarnations of an angry fanbase, refusing to allow the story to diverge too far from the original, keeping the characters on rails. A thousand internet arguments crystallise into spirits of vengeance that actually manifest in the gameplay. You might argue with the execution but you can't deny the devs have got balls.

'The angry spirits of the fanbase stop us from getting too creative with the story' Hahahahahaha.

I want to watch that cutscene again, to see Reno's reactions properly. He might possibly know how Cloud is, in which case I'll refer the reader to my comments on chapter 7. 'You've got it all wrong' Why? You attacked me.

So, we have another romantic interlude of killing things for money, the dialogue remains fun and good, we get some personality in the slums.

I beat Shiva in VR, which is nice. Ifrit helps a lot, but it's not easy. I go do various hunts, lost children finding, and realise I missed one quest in sector seven. Ah well. Chadley runs out of assignments for me.

We give flowers to an orphanage, which doubles as an old folks home. That must be... challenging to run. My TV
is colourblind, so picking flowers is a bit random.

By the way, I forgot to mention the music in reactor 5 was great.

We meet Rude on the way back, and I nearly die because I've burned a lot of items doing quests and am not prepared for him. Manage to keep out of the Game Over screen but it gets close. I haven't really adjusted to paralysing status effects and just have to tough it out.

I'm watching the Turks' portrayal relative to the Execs and infantry now. The jury is still out, but they seem to have toned back their comedic aspects in favour of trying to make them look badass.

Elmyra... so that's how you pronounce it. Nice name. She's quite cold to Cloud, 'you traded away a normal life for power' Not quite, lady.

Aeris apparently laid traps to prevent Cloud from escaping unnoticed, but I succeed on the second attempt, and promise Elmyra not to speak to Aeris again. She finds me and I speak to Aeris again.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
That was pretty much my reaction to them as well lmao

Yup, definitely cant argue with their ballsyness.

KetaKitty

Lv. 25 Adventurer
I posted an incomplete list elsewhere in this forum, I have now replayed the flower sequence 27 times to try every combination of flowers to root out anything different. I am proud to announce it was a pointless endeavor, but educational none the less. I kept track of all my choices throughout my playthroughs, then I returned (on hard just in case) and saved right before we pick the flowers, once the design was revealed I would reload my save and try again.
Chocobo Design-
Y/Y/Y
Y/F/F, F/Y/F, F/F/Y
Y/Y/W, Y/W/Y, W/Y/Y These ones draw a crowd
All 6 combinations of different flowers.
W/W/Y, W/Y/W, Y/W/W
Y/Y/F, F/Y/Y, Y/F/Y
Moogle Design-
W/W/W This one draws a crowd
F/W/F, W/F/F, F/F/W
F/W//W, W/F/W, W/W/F
Cactuar-
F/F/F

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
I posted an incomplete list elsewhere in this forum, I have now replayed the flower sequence 27 times to try every combination of flowers to root out anything different. I am proud to announce it was a pointless endeavor, but educational none the less. I kept track of all my choices throughout my playthroughs, then I returned (on hard just in case) and saved right before we pick the flowers, once the design was revealed I would reload my save and try again.
Chocobo Design-
Y/Y/Y
Y/F/F, F/Y/F, F/F/Y
Y/Y/W, Y/W/Y, W/Y/Y These ones draw a crowd
All 6 combinations of different flowers.
W/W/Y, W/Y/W, Y/W/W
Y/Y/F, F/Y/Y, Y/F/Y
Moogle Design-
W/W/W This one draws a crowd
F/W/F, W/F/F, F/F/W
F/W//W, W/F/W, W/W/F
Cactuar-
F/F/F
Thank you for your extensive research, which you have conducted with a thorough scientific approach.
On unanimous decision of the committee, you are hereby awarded your Masters in Botany.

Top Bottom