• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

SPOILERS FFVII:R Chapter 8 Spoiler Discussion

Sasseli

~*:Newbie:*~
I cried when I fell through the roof.
I cried when I saw Aerith.
I cried when we climbed on the rooftops.
I cried when I saw the sector 5 slums.
I cried when I heard OG music.

This chapter was everything I could have wished for.

I switched the language to Japanese, though, because I like Aerith's Japanese VA better and all the others sound great, as well. And the children sound more like children. I'm looking forward to playing this chapter in English again, though. :D

I totally enjoy running around, listening to conversations, battling random enemies, getting better at battling random enemies. I even beat Reno and Rude first time trying! Got my butt kicked by mission monsters, though. :wacky:

I can't get into details too much, because this is all still so overwhelming! This whole game and its existence are still like a dream to me!
And Aerith's character is so on point! This quirkiness, I'm in love!

Someone mentioned it being weird that Cloud just accepts Aerith going with him after he got told by Elmyra to stay the fuck away... well, I guess he saw no point. "See, your mom told me to stay away from you. Oh, so you don't care, huh? Well, I tried."
Could have been funny. :D

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
mireille was a character, or at least mentioned, in the turks novel, right?? the name sounds familiar but it's been so long since i read it now. i have never founded scans online for the whole book and my copy is in a box right now, although i need to clean stuff anyway so maybe i will fish it out and read it again.

also i could not see the burning reactor npcs were talking about, what are you looking at, there's nothing there??

i'm not getting that chadley hate. i wouldn't say i love his character, rather i have no strong feelings either way. what in particular is it that's grating for so many?

i get the reasoning behind having npcs say dialogue independent of the playing, building a sense of atmosphere and a lived in world and all that, but i also wish there was a 'listen' command or something. like, let them still just say stuff as you walk past but also give the option to eavesdrop on a specific person or group. especially after they've said all their lines automatically once (which could reset again if you leave the area), then if you want to hear something again you can intentionally activate their dialogue.

square, hire me to consult on your game design

i'm glad the barrels are gone because i always sucked at those in the original. instead this time i get to suck at escaping aerith's house undetected until they gave me baby mode (and i still almost bumped into something).

i don't have a screenshot but when you go to into the classroom near aerith's house after doing the side quests the kids talk about all the homework they've got to do and they are... writing on the desks. did the textures not load there or what.

especially in the open slum sections, it starts to remind me of ffxiii-2/lr in the way the npcs move and speak. they had the same kind of computer-generated feel with the character animations and camera angles. which sometimes gets a bit messy (when i was talking to the teacher who wanted you to fetch the kids back, two different characters walked into and knocked down the wooden chairs next to her). but also like ffxiii-2/lr, i can overlook some stuff to actually see the game finished. otherwise they are spending years polishing rocks you will hardly see. i'd rather the insides of buildings and distance scenery be flat textures and see square squander years on flourishes.

the main character models look beautiful, though.

also i like the way aerith just appears from behind some rubble at the end rather than just standing where you can see her.

(plus to get the Chakra Materia in the Church)
wait, you could actually get that command materia in the church?

i thought it was something you had to come back later for

jeronimus

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Mostly Simple
i'm not getting that chadley hate. i wouldn't say i love his character, rather i have no strong feelings either way. what in particular is it that's grating for so many?
Whatever attempts there are to integrate him into the world don't work at all. From a "purist perspective" it's just so obvious how he's not meant to be there at all. It's different from something like Mireille, where I laughed out loud because out of nowhere this very unique old lady character design appeared in the spot where I'd seen three of the same old man sitting next to each other half an hour earlier - but she's introduced as part of the setting.

At least for his first few appearances - no one mentions Chadley except for Chadley. He's just there. And, yes, thank god they didn't try to integrate him into the plot in some kind of vital way. I like him as a materia machine, though it feels so stupid to return his battle reports and have him IMMEDIATELY say "Cloud! I've developed a new materia!" two seconds later as if he's literally a vending machine trying to grab my attention. All of that is funny to me more than it is genuinely annoying.

His character design looks completely out of place wherever he is - which I understand is so that he would be noticed. More than that, I have no idea what his character design is. What's with that gaudy scarf that doesn't match anything else that's going on there? This little twink is a fashion disaster and his name is freakin' Chadley. He's the worst.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Whatever attempts there are to integrate him into the world don't work at all. From a "purist perspective" it's just so obvious how he's not meant to be there at all. It's different from something like Mireille, where I laughed out loud because out of nowhere this very unique old lady character design appeared in the spot where I'd seen three of the same old man sitting next to each other half an hour earlier - but she's introduced as part of the setting.

Chadley is supposed to stick out like a sore thumb. He's not meant to come across as a normal, integrated resident of the slums. He's obviously the result of a sheltered, egg-head child prodigy's attempt at looking "normal" while missing the mark entirely, due to lack of experience. He's a cuter, friendlier but extremely awkward Sheldon who's employed with Shinra.

His character design looks completely out of place wherever he is - which I understand is so that he would be noticed. More than that, I have no idea what his character design is. What's with that gaudy scarf that doesn't match anything else that's going on there? This little twink is a fashion disaster and his name is freakin' Chadley. He's the worst.

Ferrari is his designer, and the scarf is folded to appear like a bird. If you complete every mission of his, and meet with him again in the Shinra Building, it becomes obvious why he is the way he is.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I don’t mind Chadley because the best item guys always stick out like a sore thumb. He’s like a Crisis Core character but knows his place and doesn’t stick his nose into important plot points. He’s a novelty character. :P

Upper plate people seem pretty out of place in general (rigid and naive). Makes sense why some NPCs choose to live or hang out in the slums.

Lex

Administrator
I'm starting to dislike chapter 8, purely because I'm about to have played through it four times. It's absolutely loaded with "slow movement" segments and the number of sidequests you do here affects stuff down the line.

So if you want all outcomes you need to do this chapter (and the following chapter) a minimum of 3 times. If you want all the weapon manuscripts (some of which are only available on hard difficulty) you're looking at doing it 4 times, because some of those are tied to side quests). Argh, it's annoying.

Gazzdw

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Gaz
Just got to Wall Market, overall I love the game but there are some things really bothering me and I would be interested to know if anyone else feels the same. As with many here, the original was a huge part of my childhood and my fave game of all time to this point.

• Number 1 most annoying thing is that damn warning circle that appears whenever you try and explore off where your meant to be going, totally breaks immersion and freedom for me.
  • Not enough enemies, it is taking ages to respawn them and they are only in a few areas. In the original it would be so rewarding to say get Thundara before getting to a certain bit but here it is so hard to do that. I think because of this I'm not desperately trying to play every waking minute on it like I don't have that same desire.
  • Actually really like the sidequests themselves but the NPCs designs and how they talk feel like they have just copied them from FF15 which takes me out of it.
  • Way too much materia with such little opportunity and lack of weapon slots to take advantage of them. Half the materia seems a bit rubbish.
  • Lack of summons and limit breaks appearing - I didn't get to use my limit break until Chapter 4 and I have 3 summons but I have only seen Ifrit and only 3 times? I realy don't get the conditions for them.

For me the first 2 chapters were gaming perfection. I think the game is at its strongest when it hits the big story beats, because as soon as there is downtime there are very annoying restrictions (as above). I desperately hope they work on these for part 2, assuming there will be a much greater emphasis on exploration.

This chapter started off fantastic, however I wish they did more with helping Aerith get away (like with the barrels in the original) then once I got to the next bit of slums that's when the annoyances from above came to stay. LOVE what they are doing with Clouds flashbacks and hallucinations and is my favourite battle system to date.

Overall so far score wise I'm landing around an 8.5. Interested to know if others are in agreement with my grievances

Also thematically, some of the music feels so out of place with the otherwise masterful score. 1 Example being one of the remixed tracks that plays whilst going through the section with all those massive mechanical claws you have to move. Makes it feel more like FF15 in those moments for me.

youffie

Pro Adventurer
I did find it annoying that I couldn't move as much as I wanted during certain segments. Sometimes I wanted to backtrack a little because I realized there was an alley I hadn't noticed or something but nope.

Saven

Pro Adventurer
Coming from someone who is big into exploration, not being able to backtrack has been my biggest complaint of the game so far. It can remind me a little too much of the PS3/360 days where everything was forcing you to go along.

I have to think of those as locked doors you can only get to later in a jrpg or else it breaks the immersion for me, like the Chakra materia you can't get from the Church initially for example

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I kind of prefer it just being the characters wanting to focus on a certain area rather than progression being blocked by some strange arbitrary barrier until the game actually wants you to go that way. It'd be weird if every road in the slums had some insurmountable waist high fence until you're actually allowed to progress.

Last edited:
Gazzzdw, I feel you. One of the things I always loved about the original was the opportunity to pick your location and just grind away until you were incredibly overlevelled and could power on through the plot. I once spent an hour grinding on the sector 1 station platform. Boring for some people, it's like meditation to me.

The collapsed expressway between sectors 5 and 6 was always a good place for grinding in the OG, and it still is in the Remake. I spent at least an hour running back and forth through it, killing terpsicolts and bandits over and over again. The train graveyard was another favourite grinding locale. Lots of ethers to farm there.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
before the airbuster fight i did grinding by saving and loading the game since you can save from the menu at any time as far as i can tell, once you reload all the enemies reappear (it also respawns shinra boxes so i used that to collect moogle medals before i knew what they were used for)

Top Bottom