FFVII REMAKE COMING TO PS4 ON MARCH 3 2020

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Sephiroth Key Art now uploaded to the press site in two flavors of 1920x1080 and full size at 1964x2160:

BBD5n45.jpg

sNcGz7D.jpg

The fact that Sephiroth is standing on a slab of industrial debris amongst a sea of flames implies to me that:
a) This is a callback to Sephiroth standing in the flames of Nibelheim
b) That shit is going to go down in Midgar in a much bigger way than in the OG.

I also really want a closeup on his new belt.

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
Okay so... holy shit a release date.... did NOT see that coming... like at all.

On the Aerith and Cloud thing, I like the theory that Aerith can see them and then Cloud sees them cause she touches him. He seems confused at first and as soon as she touches him they appear... but clearly she could see them before that. So it's like we're seeing it from Cloud's point of view.

I ALSO like this theory because as someone pointed out it DOES happen right after the bombing mission so that would make sense that suddenly there's a lot of ... well dead people floating around.

That's really clever if true... better than some random new ghosts showing up :monster:

Maidenofwar

They/Them
I was about to be upset about the Aerith thing but then I remembered the scene is a follow on from the one in the other trailer? in which we definitely see spunky! Aerith :pinkmonster: That and everyone's theories, etc in the thread helped me feel better. As long as there is a balance. It's ok for our characters to show vulnerability, we're going to see Cloud's breakdown, Barret being upset about Coral, etc too. Also we might see something like this when Tifa falls in the lifestream too? That scene from the OG where she's in the dark at first and in distress, etc. Might be cool if Aerith shows up to help and touches Tifa and suddenly ghosts then too! :pinkmonster:

If Aerith is being assaulted by something completely outside her previous realm of experience, I'm not surprised that she would reach out to the nearest person and say "Help me". Especially if he's got a huge sword on his back! And is dressed like some kind of official Shinra peacekeeper. Doesn't stop her being a feisty independent chick. If I were standing on a street corner close to a copper and was suddenly attacked by dementors, I'd probably say, "Help me!" too.

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
Not exactly related to the trailer.... but the more I observe these ever improving graphics with each teaser we get.... I can't be the only one hoping they'll release wallpapers emulating the classic "change disc" images but with modern PS4/PS5 graphics? The more I think of how amazing they could look the more I hope it'll happen (setting myself up for disappointment, I'm sure :monster:).

IGuIOsl.png

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
If Aerith is being assaulted by something completely outside her previous realm of experience, I'm not surprised that she would reach out to the nearest person and say "Help me". Especially if he's got a huge sword on his back! And is dressed like some kind of official Shinra peacekeeper. Doesn't stop her being a feisty independent chick. If I were standing on a street corner close to a copper and was suddenly attacked by dementors, I'd probably say, "Help me!" too.

Yeah pretty much this. Even Cloud looked pretty worried. I don't see how it's out of her character at all honestly. I mean did she even have her weapon with her?... what's she supposed to do? Throw flowers at them? :monster:

pxp

Pro Adventurer
Okay so... holy shit a release date.... did NOT see that coming... like at all.

On the Aerith and Cloud thing, I like the theory that Aerith can see them and then Cloud sees them cause she touches him. He seems confused at first and as soon as she touches him they appear... but clearly she could see them before that. So it's like we're seeing it from Cloud's point of view.

I ALSO like this theory because as someone pointed out it DOES happen right after the bombing mission so that would make sense that suddenly there's a lot of ... well dead people floating around.

That's really clever if true... better than some random new ghosts showing up :monster:
I actually disagree somewhat: as soon as Aerith touches Cloud's hand she suddenly can see them too. Have a look at 0.52, there's a clear look of recognition at that point which she didn't have before. So I'm guessing she was being harassed (from her perspective) by things which are indeterminate, and as soon as she touches Cloud they both can see them. Probably something to do with her Cetra abilities (which, as she says in the OG she hasn't really mastered, esp. in the Shinra dungeon) mixed with the Jenova cells in Cloud's body.

pxp

Pro Adventurer
I kinda thought we were seeing it from Cloud's perspective though. I guess it made sense to me cause he's the main character that we're seeing what he sees.
Is this a reply to me? I believe you're right, but there's still a look of recognition from Aerith at that point that wasn't there before. It may be a look of surprise that Cloud can suddenly see them, but I don't think so because the recognition comes when she herself looks up and around her.

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
Nothing will ever be as beautiful as those pre-rendered backgrounds of the OG.
True, but I'd still like to see them with modern graphics.

Speaking of modern graphics.... I have no idea what the source of this is (poster on Facebook didn't provide one), and I don't think it's fanart... but maybe new screen?

YZKF6Zo.jpg

Edit, found the source, and it's official: https://www.weibo.com/1795420390/Hygl62jEe

I can't seem to get the full-size images however....

Edit 2, seem to need a Weibo account but I can't sign-up despite only requesting an activation code once (gives me an error saying I've tried too many times).

Edit 3, found a way around it (the image of Aerith grabbing Cloud's hand is low quality, not including it):

eZZJvkk.jpg

gRhWGde.jpg

Last edited:

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
On the whole end of the trailer with Aerith I kinda like the hand grab, I got reminded of when she does that at the Gold Saucer to Cloud after they arrive the first time.

The moment I saw her cry out for help I knew there was probably gonna be some controversy over that and the whole damsel in distress portrayal but I kinda liked the cry for help. I mean I know Aerith shouldn't be a damsel in distress but I always thought she was very insecure and anxious about her Cetra Abilities until she went to Cosmo Canyon and learned more and she's certainly not a hardened battle warrior

I also thought her life was rather sheltered, not in a spoiled way but instead she went from being on the run from Shinra spent by the sounds of it a lot of time in Hojos labs as a little girl to staying essentially hidden in the Slums and only knowing that life so she's probably used to the odd monster but weird black mist that may or may not be related to Jenova or her powers, probably not I think anyone would freak out if something like that started surrounding them.

Aerith said in the original game that the planet is Noisy and full of people during during the chat she has with Cloud in prison, I always took that to mean that while she didn't exactly fear it it probably overwhelmed her at times because she couldn't really understand it.

She has her moments in the original game where she needs help I don't want them to over do that by any means necessary but she can be afraid of certain things and still be the outgoing teasing Aerith we know.

Wimbly

Garden Festival Retiree
It seems people on reddit are thinking the black spirits in the trailer are a reimagining of the ‘clones’?

But that would be strange because, as we all know, the ‘clones’ were literally just people who had Jenova cells injected into them and maybe showered with mako. And that’s exactly what happened to Cloud *and* Zack for that matter.

I wonder what they’re intending with these things? Are they a counter to the ‘white’ ancient spirits Aerith communes with in the Temple of the Ancients?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Since apparently more discussion on the wraiths is here than elsewhere....

I don't see how these ghosts could be outright manifestations of Jenova itself or replacements of the Sephiroth Copies. That would entail a radical, fundamental change to the core plot of FFVII that would make this not a remake, but a complete remix. :mon:

However, I do think they're connected to Sephiroth and Jenova. I mean, I don't think that's really a question at all, given the promotional artwork shown of him.

So what could they be?

Well... The whole situation reminded me of several things. First this event from the Early Material Files of FFVII. The portion that explained what Sephiroth was doing in the Northern Crater.

[ Materia Chamber ] (* note: Inside the crater in the finished game)

A dome, filled with around 500 materia the size of a person lined up in a radial pattern. Among these are some even larger materia. In the centre is an energy crystal (Ultimate Materia), and inside that is a new life form. It resembles Sephiroth. However, its body is complete naked, and the contours of the body are closer to that of a woman’s.

Tifa: “So the one who is trying to crash Meteor into the planet and bring about a Big Bang…”

Vincent: “That is what Sephiroth, the new life form before us, desires. But he didn’t know the key to calling forth Meteor. Even after obtaining the knowledge of the Ancients that had fused into the mako energy, he wasn’t able to learn of it. In order to obtain the Black Materia, the secret to casting Meteor, he required someone who was able to move around freely.”

Tifa: “Jenova?”

Vincent: “No, not Jenova.”

Inside the 500 materia, evil life forms (monsters) are now awakening.

Red XIII: “Sephiroth’s will must be very powerful. He has the power to draw out all the malevolent energy within the planet. That evil desire crystallized to form these materia. And he’s created soldiers to form an unholy army. You could say these materia are eggs waiting to hatch. With just the slightest shock the materia will shatter, and those devils will awaken.”

So in an unused storyline scenario, Sephiroth's very will and presence, was capable of drawing out and awakening evil energy from within the planet. It caused evil spirits to crystallize and form materia that would hatch and birth monsters that would be his "unholy army."

Now, compare that with what we know occurs in the original FFVII and Jenova.

Ifalna said...

Ifalna
That's when the one who injured the Planet... or the 'crisis from the sky', as we call him, came.

He first approached as a friend, deceived them, and finally...... gave them the virus.
The Cetra were attacked by the virus and went mad... transforming into monsters.

Ifalna describes how Jenova infected the Cetra with its virus which transformed them into monsters that attacked and killed everyone else. But, there's an interesting line she says before that....

Ifalna
I'm all right... When the Cetra... were preparing to part with the land they loved...
That's when it appeared!
It looked like... our... our dead mothers... and our dead brothers. Showing us spectres of their past.

Gast
Who is the person that appeared at the North Cave? I haven't any idea.

Ifalna
That's when the one who injured the Planet... or the 'crisis from the sky', as we call him, came.

Now, not much attention was paid to that line since the focus was on Jenova's shapeshifting abilities that naturally could be used to mimic living or dead individuals. But the term, spectres of their past, sorta makes me think.

What if aside from shape-shifting, Jenova was literally able to manipulate or summon evil spirits, or spectres of the dead to harass it's victims? Would that be possible?

In Case of Lifestream Black, Sephiroth's spirit was able to manipulate and "mark" other spirits of those who died in hatred towards the planet. It was through these cursed souls he was able to create his own Negative Lifestream and further infect the living with Geostigma. Where did Sephiroth get this power from?

To me, it seems plausible, that the Remake is using the discarded concept that Sephiroth's presence and will in the Lifestream is a magnet for evil, tormented spirits that awaken and follow his presence as it manifests around either Jenova, Cloud or maybe Midgar itself.

The evil spirits are a sort of herald or omen of Sephiroth's re-awakened presence in the world as it begins to move and awaken Jenova in Midgar. Between Sephiroth's will tormenting Cloud, it would make sense if Sephiroth's will has a ripple effect across the Lifestream of the planet, stirring disembodied evil spirits within.

In the end it'd definitely allow the creators to have Sephiroth's depiction heavily lean in on being a "fallen angel" and utilize his presence more before he technically appears upon Cloud's arrival to the Shinra Building. His presence would be a growing threat to the planet that awakens evil and begins to cause Aerith torment. It'd also play up the connection that exists between Aerith and Sephiroth as polar opposites in regards to the planet.

Top Bottom