FFVII REMAKE CONFIRMED

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Sorry, double post.

For comparison, the Japanese version of The Kids Are Alright is 349 pages and On the Way to a Smile is 263 pages. So Trace of Two Pasts is about the length of the latter.

Seeing as Aerith and Tifa's childhoods are already covered extensively by the main game, I imagine this story will take place somewhere in the 5 years between the Nibelheim Incident and the first bombing mission. Maybe Aerith's story will be about her deciding to sell flowers plateside and Tifa's about starting up Seventh Heaven? Here's a better translation of the description from Audrey:

No one was there who wanted to listen, no one was there who wanted to talk. The two heroines who color the world of Final Fantasy 7, this is the unknown story of their different paths.

On the topic of abundance, I'm fine with the Material Ultimanias because it's better to have a record of the development process than not. However, I wish they'd do away with regular Ultimanias. I feel like they contain too much story analysis. It almost takes the fun out it. The fandom also starts to feel fractured in a way. I like it when everyone is on the same level by just playing the game.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Cool to see the "other side" of the render of them at the end of the highway.

But yeah, while I think the people who want to wait for the entire Remake story to be complete to play any of it are extreme, I do think I'll wait for the whole thing to be done before I buy any supporting materials. 3 for one part? Come on.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Here's the description for Trace of Two Pasts from the product page, ran through Google translate:

And a higher quality image of the cover:

https://store.jp.square-enix.com/item/9784757573482.html

My idea where the story should go based on the cover:

They were both independently meant to meet a date under that clock and their guys just stood them up so now they're just waiting and slowly getting fed up and bored

Except then they start talking and hit it off and decide screw it, we'll go on a date instead

From then on it's just an AU Tifa x Aerith romantic slice of life story

:monster:

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I see a lot of renders for Remake, but the level of details of this cover immediately made me stop because it's obvious that most fans renders aren't that detailed. It's a lovely cover and got me so hyped to read this. The comments on Audrey's tweets though, half of them commenting on the FF X-2 one with Tidus and Yuna ^^' when the other FFVII novels are rather good.

I think this might cover the 5 years between the Nibelheim incident and the beginning of the game, especially since those are years we've barely heard about concerning the girls - I've also noted that Aerith is for the first time referred to as an heroine so I'm happy about that lol, but it makes me wonder if her role will take a step back from what we saw in Part 1.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
The fact "-Will-" scarred the FF fandom so badly is still amazing to me.

I'm rather excited we're going to be seeing such focus and attention on Aerith and Tifa as individuals. That's something they're really leaning into that I think is amazing and beyond what we've gotten before with this series. I do wanna know more about Aerith and Tifa as people. Aerith's story about her childhood explored themes that were only vaguely mentioned or theorized among fandom for years, and it was great to see her optimism juxtaposed with her truly awful childhood.

I don't know what they could do with Tifa but I hope it'll be just as interesting.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I've been looking at the cover more closely, and it's definitely covering the 5 years between the Nibelheim incident and the beginning of Remake. Aerith's near the phone booth and the mail box, Tifa's in front of the train station where in the OG she met up with Cloud (on a rainy day, and it's rainy or has been raining on her side). So I'm happy to think that there will definitely be all those black years for Tifa when we knew nothing about - how she joined AVALANCHE, how Marle took her under her wing, what happened after Zangan brought her to Midgar... there's plenty of space for that.

And yes, I expect some cloti & zerith mixed in, this seems rather natural considering the timeline and the cover which allude to it.

Edit: considering the time showed at the clock, I wonder if this will go up until Aerith looking at the pipe, and Tifa finding Cloud?

Last edited:

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Someone in reddit mentioned that the clock showed 7:03 and I now wonder if it means this will cover up until the third chapter of Remake? Someone else noted that it could end with both girls meeting up with Cloud, because Aerith is in the street where she meets up with Cloud, so that's another good possibility (Tifa being in the train station where she meets up with Cloud)!

I definitely think this will cross over a little bit on the game and show us the girls' sides.

Chocobo Eater

Pro Adventurer
Hyped for the novel, even more so than Intergrade. I mean... I can't read but I won't be able to play either, dammit.

If the novel indeed takes place sometime between the Nibelheim Incident and start of FFVII, this might be the first time we get any kind of story content covering all those years. CC and BC both have timeskips of roughly four years (from εγλ 0003 to 0006, according to the timeline), and we know nothing about what went on in that time for any character not in a coma. There's so many unknowns and so much story potential, and Tifa and Aerith's (during that time) are the most interesting to me, no doubt.

Hopefully we get to see more of the Avalanche trio in Tifa's story once she joins the group, and more Shinra/Turks on Aerith's side of things. More content on the ongoing war would be nice too, if possible.

Saven

Pro Adventurer
Imagine if Nojima goes into FFX book mode...

Tifa: And then, I saw Sephiroth emerge from the Shinra Manor. Once outside, he found the blue ball the headless guy with the yellow shirt dropped outside before turning into mako dust. Sephiroth kicked the ball right into the windmill and it exploded, covering the whole town in flames! All Sephiroth had to say was "GOOOOAAAALLLLLLLL!!!!!"

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
It's a rumour from 4chan, have we got a GOOD reason to think it's real? I'm very doubtful when I see the source.
Ah, yeah, I didn't notice the source at the time of linking or I would have included a qualifier.

the dude on 4chan claimed that a KH series is also coming to Netflix, which is bull since it would go straight to Disney plus, so yeah the rumor is probably just some guy trolling
Would it necessarily go to Disney+, though? It's not as though the Disney Store is the place to get KH merchandise after all.

I kind of wish they'd do an official translation. Maybe even do audio book version using the VAs....I could listen to Britt Baron all day.

Here lately we have been getting official translations of new novella/light novel stuff (e.g. FFXV: Dawn of the Future) within a year or so of the Japanese release, so I expect that will probably be the case with this one as well.

Top Bottom