FFVII REMAKE CONFIRMED

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
According to where those lights and the ShinRa HQ are pointing, its most likely sector 4 actually. Sector 5 would show sector 6 somewhere, and that's incomplete, and sector 1 is behind ShinRa HQ tower.

Also some other interesting things I picked out

j5OBRAG.jpg

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
That picture of Midgar is absolutely beautiful! I love it!

hian

Purist
According to where those lights and the ShinRa HQ are pointing, its most likely sector 4 actually. Sector 5 would show sector 6 somewhere, and that's incomplete, and sector 1 is behind ShinRa HQ tower.

I said either or, but I think 4 is completely unworkable.
Seven is the second one from the left. The one you can clearly read the kanji on.
That would mean that the furtherest left reactor, the one next to 7, is either 8, or 6.
If it's 6, then this would have to be sector 5, because I'm pretty sure the position of the camera and the angle completely rules out there being another reactor in between what would ostensibly be behind the camera, and the leftmost reactor.

However, the Japanese kanji for 8, is 八, and if you look closely at the high definition of the picture I posted you can see the topmost part of the kanji looking very much like that.
6 would be 六 btw, which I don't think it looks like.

(Never mind this. Went back and checked. Every street in the trailer is one way. The street here is a two-ways) The street on the right looks very similar to the street Cloud runs down in game-play trailer, which is definitely sector 1.

As for your picture -

Notice that the building you picked out lacks the extended high-way from the trailer.
And the place you peg as the park area from the first trailer lacks the pillars, and the glass/steel skyscrapers in the back-ground.

This might be indicative of what Nomura said he was dissatisfied with in the original trailer, or they could be things they put into the reveal trailer to make it more ambiguous to increase the impact of the Remake font at the end of it.

Last edited:

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer

I said either or, but I think 4 is completely unworkable.
Seven is the second one from the left. The one you can clearly read the kanji on.
That would mean that the furtherest left reactor, the one next to 7, is either 8, or 6.
If it's 6, then this would have to be sector 5, because I'm pretty sure the position of the camera and the angle completely rules out there being another reactor in between what would ostensibly be behind the camera, and the leftmost reactor.

However, the Japanese kanji for 8, is 八, and if you look closely at the high definition of the picture I posted you can see the topmost part of the kanji looking very much like that.
6 would be 六 btw, which I don't think it looks like.

(Never mind this. Went back and checked. Every street in the trailer is one way. The street here is a two-ways) The street on the right looks very similar to the street Cloud runs down in game-play trailer, which is definitely sector 1.

As for your picture -

Notice that the building you picked out lacks the extended high-way from the trailer.
And the place you peg as the park area from the first trailer lacks the pillars, and the glass/steel skyscrapers in the back-ground.

This might be indicative of what Nomura said he was dissatisfied with in the original trailer, or they could be things they put into the reveal trailer to make it more ambiguous to increase the impact of the Remake font at the end of it.

You only have to look at the original widespan of Midgar from the FMV to orient yourself. Those lights belong to sector 4.

latest

Orientating by the fact that we know that the sector from the opening where we first see Aerith is Sector 8, then Sector 1 is directly to it's left, directly north/behind the HQ. So counting from that, and going on the left side theory, then it's sector 4. We can see one more good sector, and then a the incomplete sector 6.

Last edited:

hian

Purist
I'm having a bit of trouble following you. I can clearly see the kanji now, and wherever sector 1 is, is definitely not left of eight. It's right of eight. You could be right about your original observation, that this is sector 4, if the way sectors are divided is that each sector is whatever is right of the giant walls extending from the reactors. If it's on the left though, it would be sector 5, and I would be right.

Whatever else is true though, sector 1 is not directly to the left of sector 8, it's directly right of it.

YRDtQ0r.jpg

Okay, so this is the scene where they drop sector 7 so, the sectors are definitely right of their respective reactors.

hqdefault.jpg

So you're right, it's def sector 4.

I guess my problem initally is that I noted (correctly) that the reactor that would be out of view, either behind or slightly to the left of the camera on that new pic was reactor 5, which it clearly is, but that I incorrectly assumed that meant the sector in view would belong to that reactor, which clearly isn't correct.

Also, fun/frustrating fact :
There is actually no overview and breakdown of Midgar's structure in the Ultimania guide. I just checked.

Last edited:

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I meant right. Meds are screwing with my head.

But that still leaves us with a mystery. Every new art/image of Midgar seems to not make geographic sense.

What we see is definetly in the vicinity of sector 4, but that means if we can see reactor 8, we should be able to see reactor 6 and the missing sector...

Unless that's a major change?

hian

Purist
Why not? You mean like with that park etc.?

That presupposes it's supposed to be the same park, and not just a generic park in midgar. Maybe there were many parks like that? Would make sense in a place like Midgar.
In Japan, you often find copy-paste public properties, like parks.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Every new art/image of Midgar seems to not make geographic sense.

It's a tradition. It wouldn't be Midgar if the layout wasn't secretly some kind of ever-changing bizarro world. :awesomonster:

hian

Purist
One thing worth mentioning is that the mountain range that's supposed to be behind Midgar, which is slightly visible on the left, is not visible on the right. So basically the mountains separating Midgar from Junon, are fairly flat (not as tall as Shinra Building), or not there are all, which is kinda ridiculous.
How tall is Shinra building supposed to be?

Also, on an unrelated note -
Having recently acquired and dived through the FFVII Ultimania, I noticed that FFVII is supposedly split into 4 acts.

Act 1 - from intro to entering Calm

Act 2 - Nibelheim flashback to the point where Cloud hands over the black materia in North crater

Act 3 - Tifa waking up in Junon, up until the attack on the underwater reactor.

Act 4 - Underwater reactor to the end of the game

I wonder if that's the format they're aiming for?

It's a totally weird structure to be honest. It's totally uneven in length, and totally anti-climatic (especially in terms of the first act).

Last edited:

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
More and more I think these locations are interpretations for the VR ride. The Thunderplanes for example didn't have nearly so many pillars.

Still, I think this does at least give as an idea of ongoing themes, and certain kinds of locations they're aiming for in Midgar. But this is a VR ride that comes out in a few weeks. So I kinda doubt they'd put anything so concrete from the game into this ride so soon. They don't even have a trailer out yet.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Here I am to make everything worse/more complicated. :monster:

While the FFVII Ultimania Omega doesn't have an overview of Midgar's breakdown, the Crisis Core Ultimania does -- and naturally, it shows things being the opposite of what they've previously been shown to be:

VjsoIuQ.jpg

Here, the sectors are shown to the left of their designated reactors rather than to the right.

This has been your daily dose of despair. :monster:

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Here I am to make everything worse/more complicated. :monster:

While the FFVII Ultimania Omega doesn't have an overview of Midgar's breakdown, the Crisis Core Ultimania does -- and naturally, it shows things being the opposite of what they've previously been shown to be:

VjsoIuQ.jpg

Here, the sectors are shown to the left of their designated reactors rather than to the right.

This has been your daily dose of despair. :monster:

Sonuva!@#$%

Lex

Administrator
Just saw this video in my YouTube notifications and wanted to pass the link along. It’s an exclusive look at FINAL FANTASY XR Ride at UNIVERSAL STUDIOS JAPAN with footage featuring Cloud vs. Sephiroth in Midgar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yx6k3rXll8

The Cloud vs. Sephiroth part is from 2:27 to 2:45 for those wanting to skip right to the action.

Thanks for sharing. I'm praying to the lifestream that nothing like this is actually in the remake.

Lex

Administrator
Sephiroth and Cloud do not have an aerial battle over Midgar at any point in FFVII. The only place that kind of thing is tolerable is when they're floating in the lifestream at the end of the game, and only if the rest of the party is present and directly contributing. Beyond that the one-on-one battle between Cloud and Seph at the very very end would also be fine, as long as the background is constantly morphing.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
That....looked fuckin stoopid but... :/

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
Re: Final battle, being that theres no "combat screen", I wonder how they'll choose to portray it. I feel like the fact that it was happening in Cloud's mind ended up being lost on a lot of people (at least back then)

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I think they'll let you fight him one-on-one in engine instead of just killing him with one hit, but they're not gonna do an Advent Children cutscene. That clip is obviously just for the VR ride

And Dissidia recreated the face-off camera angles and stuff just before starting the fight, so I bet they duplicate that as well just before handing control over to you.
(3:38)

Last edited:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I think they'll let you fight him one-on-one in engine instead of just killing him with one hit, but they're not gonna do an Advent Children cutscene. That clip is obviously just for the VR ride

And Dissidia recreated the face-off camera angles and stuff just before starting the fight, so I bet they duplicate that as well just before handing control over to you.

Yeah, I'm thinking it very closely to the original game with the one-on-one thing, only, well, say, somewhat similiar to both
how Noctis kills Ardyn before the former dies himself
and
how Ryu finishes off the boss(except the little girl doesn't die).

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
You're gonna need something crazy and over-the-top for a ride like that. Even Advent Children forced the characters to at least touch ground every so often.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Cloud is even in his Advent Children gear for that ride, so I am guessing it won't be something from the Remake.

Top Bottom