SPOILERS FFVII Remake Open Spoiler Discussion Thread

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
It wouldn't just call it meta-commentary.

Between Kunsel, G-Type and S-Type SOLDIERs, the Turk's interpreting their mission as bodyguarding Aerith up till now and the entirety of Zack's last stand reused verbatim, one is led to conclude that at the very least Crisis Core is a story considered to have happened in this world, with the Whispers around but invisible to everyone up to including Sephiroth and Aerith. It's ending is part of the fate the Whispers guard. Likewise to the events that follows two months after Zack's death, there's what happens in this game and the course of history the guardians attemps to align with. The original game still has it's place in this canon as that story, I feel.
I thin you're maybe misunderstanding what I was saying. I wasn't saying the meta-commentary elements of the Remake are only just that, just that that is the major Doylistic reason for them. Furthermore, I absolutely agree the Remake is intended to be canon with the Compilation, just that the Compilation is also simultaneously canon with the OG, even with Remake and and OG being their own separate canons. Like how the 1954 Godzilla films is canon with multiple other Godzilla films (that aren't canon to each other).

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel
Aerith knew Marlene's name because Tifa spoke Marlene's name out loud when she was hallucinating Marlene in the Train Graveyard in Chapter 11 thanks to the Ghosts, and presumably Aerith can also see what the Ghosts were showing others. Aerith even confirmed that Marlene was her name with Tifa in Chapter 12 before she ran off to find her.
Huh must have missed that scene, thanks for the info

Square themselves were afraid to touch the original game for years because they knew how high of a regard people held it in. If I recall, the only reason they decided to take on this project now is because if they waited much longer a lot of the original dev staff would be too old, or just plain be too dead to make it happen. Given the less than enthusiastic response to some of the more controversial elements, they were completely right to think that they'd inevitably be letting some of their fans down. There's a reason Nomura went out of his way to say the remake doesn't replace the original. they all know how dear it is to people, so I really can't fathom them having the remake be an in-canon reboot with all of that in mind. They wanted this game to be as exciting for new players as it was for old, so why would the plot hinge so much on prior knowledge in that even? At least with KH they made the previous entries easily accessible. The compilation is effectively scattered to the winds, its unreasonable to expect people to have that information going in to the remake. This is a story they want everyone to experience, so I think any time shenanigans will be contained solely to the world of the remake, no stealth sequeling here.
It is more or less from what some of us seen that sephiroth is original timeline sephiroth and cause of his actions in remake timeline things were changed hence why it looks like it is a sequel it is not but in some ways mainly via sephiroth and arbiters it is a sequel set in an alternate timeline, it's hard to explain if honest what I am getting at

I thin you're maybe misunderstanding what I was saying. I wasn't saying the meta-commentary elements of the Remake are only just that, just that that is the major Doylistic reason for them. Furthermore, I absolutely agree the Remake is intended to be canon with the Compilation, just that the Compilation is also simultaneously canon with the OG, even with Remake and and OG being their own separate canons. Like how the 1954 Godzilla films is canon with multiple other Godzilla films (that aren't canon to each other).
Or like nightmare on elm Street the new nightmare was a sequel in a sequel set in a movie in a movie, that is kind of what remake was doing, it was not a sequel but it was set in the universe we know or what we like to call an alternate timeline au aka Canon divergence deal

Trying to explain remake is hard lol got to really pay close attention when either playing it or watching videos of it to really understand what the hell is going on and how it is connected to original series without it being a sequel or reboot while at same time being sort of a sequel and sort of a reboot

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Or like nightmare on elm Street the new nightmare was a sequel in a sequel set in a movie in a movie, that is kind of what remake was doing, it was not a sequel but it was set in the universe we know or what we like to call an alternate timeline au aka Canon divergence deal
Uh, what? I don’t think the Remake is anything like a movie within a movie. And I definitely don’t think Sephiroth in the Remake is Sephiroth post-OG/AC traveling back in time creating alternate timelines.
The Remake is simply an adaptation of predicting story. But both the OG and Remake can both be canon to the Compilation while also being separated canons from each other.

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel
Uh, what? I don’t think the Remake is anything like a movie within a movie. And I definitely don’t think Sephiroth in the Remake is Sephiroth post-OG/AC traveling back in time creating alternate timelines.
The Remake is simply an adaptation of predicting story. But both the OG and Remake can both be canon to the Compilation while also being separated canons from each other.
True no argument there, I am just throwing stuff out there lol well what is the worse that can happen I am already insane what more can I lose lol

So many awesome editing choices in that video! Are some of these voice clips from Dissidia? I haven't heard Sephiroth say things like "Shall I give you despair" or "Where did you find this strength" in the FFVIIR battle.

2:26
"They're no pushovers"
Sephiroth has truly hit rock bottom to say these words in a battle against frogs/toads.

Anybody have any thoughts on what the Whispers are doing when they circle around Cloud as he falls from the plate into Aerith's church?

They can't be making sure he lands safely, because he did that in the OG; landing safely is already his fate. Given what we know or think we know about the role of the Whispers in the Remake, they don't need to put in an appearance here. I am sure some of you have thought this through more carefully than me.

Kratos

Pro Adventurer
Anybody have any thoughts on what the Whispers are doing when they circle around Cloud as he falls from the plate into Aerith's church?

They can't be making sure he lands safely, because he did that in the OG; landing safely is already his fate. Given what we know or think we know about the role of the Whispers in the Remake, they don't need to put in an appearance here. I am sure some of you have thought this through more carefully than me.

They also circle around Biggs and Jessie on the pillar, even after they're clearly dying, and the Ultimania identifies that moment as the Whispers checking in and ensuring things go as planned. I imagine this was something similar.

The Whispers were making sure to "protect Cloud who had fallen from the Sector 5 Mako Reactor".

It wasn't Cloud's fate to land safely here any more than it was Cloud's fate to get accepted for the Reactor #5 bombing mission. I think the fact that the whispers have to interfere so much shows that pre-determined fate isn't really a thing. It's just that the Whispers are following the planet's template of what series of events SHOULD unfold, according to itself.

Top Bottom