FFVIIR Official Concept Art & Twitter Whatnots

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
It reminds me of how Edge looks like in Advent Children.
3ec4429996aad8e3510a775b88fc6bd21273286044_full.jpg

Man oh man, I remember Advent Children being very grey in its colour palette, but I forgot just how dismal everything looked.

I'm super stoked for just the sheer variety of colour we've seen so far in the remake :monster:

OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover
Who knows, maybe the struts are there in case Shinra ever wanted to make the plate double decker.
They are erected through the slums too, you can see them on the concept art for the pillar at Sector 7.

Sector 7 Slums Pillar (Hi-Res).jpg

Is it possible that our concept artist is working on Cyberpunk 2077? The bad taste in car design can't be overlooked. They came up with the same monstrosity...

Unbenannt.png

pxp

Pro Adventurer
I hope I don't come off as busybody, but it can't be a different corner. Last time I checked, there was only one Loveless theatre we know of on sector 8.

They actually mentioned the building itself on the tweet and gave us an ingame-shot as comparison. It's THE iconic theatre from the intro since back the 97's, and this concept artist didn't know where he/she should place it?

giphy.gif
If it's the same street, it's an earlier concept that isn't as faithful to the original design of Midgar 8th Street, and one they didn't go with in the remake.
Yeh I just think it’s a really early concept piece, where the artist was just told to go free rein and get down some ideas and don’t worry about specifics.

rimavelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
rima
It's weird thing with those concept arts because often they dont even resemble what we got in the game. Like the train station building one, totaly different interior. I wonder why they do that. Its not like 3d modelers can just decide to change whole ceiling or move things across the street, someone had to draw it all.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
It's weird thing with those concept arts because often they don't even resemble what we got in the game. Like the train station building one, totaly different interior. I wonder why they do that. Its not like 3d modelers can just decide to change whole ceiling or move things across the street, someone had to draw it all.

I don't think they look totally different. They're not 1:1 but they're identifiably connected. The 8th Street is the only one that looks like something totally different.

Shaun

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Assuming they haven't changed the layout of the area completely, I'm pretty sure it is the same location, just shown in a reverse angle to what was always used in the original game, so the Loveless theatre is behind the "camera" and the goblin bar(?) is on the left, on the other side of the weird Edge-like gantry thing.

In the original game's opening fmv, when the camera pulls back from Aerith, you can see a building on the right with the red awning, followed by the clock tower arch, followed by the fountain, at which point the camera pans up to show the Shinra building. Aside from the Shinra building, all of these are shown in this concept art, in the same order they would appear if looking down that road in the original game - the red awning is part of the diner, and the arch and fountain are in the background. The road towards the arch looks like it's been lengthened and had more buildings added.

I don't think the building with "Loveless" written on it is supposed to be the theatre. In the original game, Loveless wasn't written on the roof - it was on a canopy over the theatre entrance. I'm not sure you ever actually see the roof of that building, as the arch blocks the view of it in the opening fmv and other views of that area don't go up high enough to see it. I can't remember if you could see it in Crisis Core or not.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
It's weird thing with those concept arts because often they dont even resemble what we got in the game. Like the train station building one, totaly different interior. I wonder why they do that. Its not like 3d modelers can just decide to change whole ceiling or move things across the street, someone had to draw it all.

Because this is what concept art's role is. We're not seeing the definitive "final art" but we're seeing various pieces of "concept art" of which there are just near-endless iterations when you're working on projects like this. For locations there are usually multiple pieces of concept art that then move towards final art, and then 3D renderers that play with all those ideas, and get iterated on until you get the end product of what's there in-game that is the contribution of usually dozens of different artists to varying degrees. It's almost the exact same thing for concept art and how virtual locations get constructed in films.

X :neo:

OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover
Assuming they haven't changed the layout of the area completely, I'm pretty sure it is the same location, just shown in a reverse angle to what was always used in the original game, so the Loveless theatre is behind the "camera" and the goblin bar(?) is on the left, on the other side of the weird Edge-like gantry thing.

In the original game's opening fmv, when the camera pulls back from Aerith, you can see a building on the right with the red awning, followed by the clock tower arch, followed by the fountain, at which point the camera pans up to show the Shinra building. Aside from the Shinra building, all of these are shown in this concept art, in the same order they would appear if looking down that road in the original game - the red awning is part of the diner, and the arch and fountain are in the background. The road towards the arch looks like it's been lengthened and had more buildings added.

I don't think the building with "Loveless" written on it is supposed to be the theatre. In the original game, Loveless wasn't written on the roof - it was on a canopy over the theatre entrance. I'm not sure you ever actually see the roof of that building, as the arch blocks the view of it in the opening fmv and other views of that area don't go up high enough to see it. I can't remember if you could see it in Crisis Core or not.
giphy.gif

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
I really hope they keep this whole thing of releasing concept art up, all the way to the release of the game. Helping to tide me over a bit. I imagine my first playthrough is going to be a long one of me just looking around at everything.
While "speedruns" are common, I wonder if we should spread around the concept of "slowruns". I remember staring at brick walls in The Last of Us, marveling at the details of the textures and the bumpmapping :geek: I'm expecting to be doing the same kind of stuff for the Remake.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
While "speedruns" are common, I wonder if we should spread around the concept of "slowruns". I remember staring at brick walls in The Last of Us, marveling at the details of the textures and the bumpmapping :geek: I'm expecting to be doing the same kind of stuff for the Remake.

There are “relaxing atmospheres of Skyrim” videos on YouTube and the like that are kind of like this. I know this because I watch them :wacky: and I would be more than happy to film “Midgar Street Corner Night Ambience” videos... if only there were a 1st person camera/freecam in the game.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
There are “relaxing atmospheres of Skyrim” videos on YouTube and the like that are kind of like this. I know this because I watch them :wacky: and I would be more than happy to film “Midgar Street Corner Night Ambience” videos... if only there were a 1st person camera/freecam in the game.

I'm now shuddering, as I'm imagining Cloud having the Zack style flip-phone and getting constantly bombarded with texts from the other members not in your current group. But I guess it could be utilized as a camera function too? Lol.

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
I'm still thinking about doing an Analysis Run (blind) doing exactly that and more :P

And I'm also hoping for a 1st person camera, like the one KH3 has. Just without the stupid selfie function. Although, reactions from party members could turn out hilarious :monster:

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
I’ll be screenshooting so hard in “Tactical Mode.” I love the potential for all the battles in the game looking slightly different on different playthroughs. (Side note we should totally have a Tactical Mode Photo Club)

Sorry to go so off topic!! Here’s the Hopes for the Remake Content thread ? see you there!

Should be fun and add some replay value. Lets you experience the same battles in different ways and develop different strategies. Tactical Mode seems almost like FFVII meets the Matrix, and it'll be cool to see Neo, Morpheus, and Trinity—I mean Cloud, Barret, and Tifa—suspended in slo-mo bullet time while you choose your commands. Especially when fighting Agents, er, the Turks. Rude actually looks like one aside from being bald. :mon:

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
I’ll be screenshooting so hard in “Tactical Mode.”
Problem is, the colors are somewhat washed out during tactical mode, parts of the screen seem blurred and you apparently can't control the camera yourself, which produces a very narrow stylistic restriction. Though I could see that as an intriguing precondition for trying to shoot the best Tactical Mode photo, making the following proposition an interesting one.
(Side note we should totally have a Tactical Mode Photo Club)

Still, I'm with @rimavelle regarding Photo Mode. EVERY game should have that, period!

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
Problem is, the colors are somewhat washed out during tactical mode, parts of the screen seem blurred and you apparently can't control the camera yourself, which produces a very narrow stylistic restriction. Though I could see that as an intriguing precondition for trying to shoot the best Tactical Mode photo, making the following proposition an interesting one.

Still, I'm with @rimavelle regarding Photo Mode. EVERY game should have that, period!

Makes it more challenging and therefore good shots rare and awesome. :wacky::wacky::wacky:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X

Facebook English share of the image (non-TGS) said:
On September 7, 1997, we released the original FINAL FANTASY VII in North America.

To celebrate the anniversary we've remade one of the most iconic pieces of artwork from the original game, and now there are just under 6 months until the launch of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE!

X:neo:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Interestingly, the official Twitter retweeted this today:

This merch is explicitly being called the "Final Fantasy VII Series" stuff, and calls out Before Crisis, Crisis Core, Advent Children, & Dirge of Cerberus, the Calendar using the countdown clock from the TGS Remake trailer. I'm not sure if this is the first time that we've seen the Compilation stuff being connected with the Remake, but it certainly seems like that connection isn't being pushed away from.

I'm exceptionally curious about what imagery is featured in that calendar, and what focuses there are on which pieces.

X:neo:

Top Bottom