FFVIIR Official Concept Art & Twitter Whatnots

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
His backstory is grey and had potential, for sure, but his character in CC was pushed aside for the sake of hollow storytelling and hollow extras like Angeal and Gackt. I think in general I prefer antiheroes to villains. Rufus, for example, is more relatable to me because although he is a jackass, his actions and desires make a semblance of sense. Full out villains often act in ways that are so utterly irrational and have motivations that make so little sense that I cannot relate to them. Why become a God if no one is around anymore to worship you?

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
I don't think Crisis Core told us enough about him one way or the other to get a read on his personality. I doubt a switch flipped in his head and suddenly he was a complete sadist. I always saw him as having a huge ego about himself. Finding out about his past may have driven him mad, but I think the real thing that made him the megalomaniac we all know was actually Cloud defeating him in the reactor. He had just gotten all hyped up about how cool and special he's supposed to be, then this random nobody background character just up and, pardon my young folk slang, YEETS him into the abyss. That's what I think really pushed him over the edge; his one main quality that he had over everyone, his raw strength, was proven to have fallen short of expectation. That's why he needed to become a god, so that could NEVER happen again.

Of course! But he would have never set a whole village on fire and killed all the inhabitans completely unprovoked if the switch had never flipped in the first place. No matter how conceited he might have been, I never saw him as relishing in wanton destruction and the slaughtering of weak, innocent people.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I think it was his budding "I'm totally an Ancient" superiority complex that allowed him to kill the townsfolk so easily. He definitely thought he was better than them before, but he didn't see normal civilians as enemies until then.

It's not parasite DNA, it's his DNA. Or at any rate, it's his now.
I think they did imply that about him Force. That's the impression I received.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
I think my biggest problem with CC as how it gave the impression that Sephiroth wasnt "meant" to be bad. And I say that in the sense of his evil upturning wasn't a product of Sephiroth's interior persona and characteristics + the circunstances. I think it's to make an "example" of it:

What I always thought great of Sephiroth was that, yes, he wasn't "evil" before the Shinra Mansion. He wasnt always a murderous psycopath. But he wasn't benevolent. He always had that sinister aura.....His upbringing as a SOLDIER, his actions in the Wutai War, the way he laughs when he reminisces of his dead family..... It's just off. And that helps a lot with the setting too, because everything in Shinra Mansion just screams of wrong. His "switch" to pure evil was caused due to his own persona, a probably arrogant and misplaced one, and the shock of the circunstances that just happened.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
:shrug: I dunno, I think it makes enough sense that he was as "normal" as anyone would be if they were stronger and more skillful than literally every other person they ever met. So certainly arrogant, how couldn't you be? But I don't think he was necessarily sinister before.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
Yes but that's exactly what I'm talking about. That's what separates him from a "good guy turned bad" or a "person gone astray". He wasnt in any way evil before the Shinra Mansion, but he was in no way a hero either. The switch to psycopath wasnt blown out of the water: you take Zack, or Cloud or whatever, and you put in that situation, they wouldnt have done what Sephiroth did. The circunstances were obviously important, but who he was, as a person, were just as much, if not more.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Considering Sephiroth's propensity for carnage and shit, there was always something off about him.

They subtly hinted at it in Before Crisis when he mutilated the attacking AVALANCHE troops in Junon and left their dismembered, broken bodies strewn about the area. Not to mention he liked killing Behemoths for sport.

Also, look at the sparring match he had with Genesis and Angeal. Although Genesis initiated the confrontation and escalation, Sephiroth happily obliged. Something clicked. And he happily went into murder-mode. Genesis would likely have been killed had Angeal not intervened.

Sephiroth carries an inner bloodlust.

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
The user on reddit didn't provide a source (and so far I can't find one), but here's a super hi-res 8064x4536 image of Midgar (but it IS a JPG, so there are some artifacts, sadly..but it isn't upscaled via AI programs as other "4K" images have been). Ironically enough, at resolutions this big, you can see that the numbers on the reactors are using a lower resolution texture and aren't nearly as sharp as the higher res Shinra logo texture).

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFVIIRemake/comments/fal4mf
54d5961335516789.jpg

Last edited:

Littlewing

Pro Adventurer
AKA
human
I was replaying some of the original since I had not in years and i was quite impressed by some of the details in the game and environments that go unstated. I'm actually of mixed feelings with the new area designs because on one hand I actually think the original are better even though perhaps limited by the time period it was released in and technology at the time but then the new design is really expansive and quite a sight to bewilder at the sheer size and scope of it all. It almost looks too slick to me, but they really capture a moving tone and atmoshperic quality!11

Littlewing

Pro Adventurer
AKA
human
The user on reddit didn't provide a source (and so far I can't find one), but here's a super hi-res 8064x4536 image of Midgar (but it IS a JPG, so there are some artifacts, sadly..but it isn't upscaled via AI programs as other "4K" images have been). Ironically enough, at resolutions this big, you can see that the numbers on the reactors are using a lower resolution texture and aren't nearly as sharp as the higher res Shinra logo texture).

54d5961335516789.jpg
The source...

the source of it all....

SHINRA

MAKO

DUN DUN DUN DUN
DO-DO-DO-DO

"TRAINS, LIKE PEOPLE ONLY GO WHERE THEIR RAILS TAKE THEM"

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel
The interesting thing about Sephiroth and Ardyn is that, previous to their fall, they weren't much different from any other human being, and that's what makes them relatable, not their superpowers and cruelty once the shit hits the fan.

What I will always find utterly fascinating is that event: the fall. How a relatively normal human being can be twisted into evil incarnate. True, Sephiroth was very efficient as a SOLDIER (which was nothing but a killing machine at the service of a corparation), but from what we could see in CC he still had pretty much the same concerns as his peers, or as any other person would have on his shoes. Ardyn? My goodness, he was practically a saint! I suppose that with Episode Ardyn they stressed that out just so the subsequent stabbing would hurt much more (pun not intended).

So, the interest is not what they do "once" they are evil, but the path they followed before that. We could do the same with many other FF villains, and only the ones from the early games would fall into the "completely and utterly evil without any other reason other than just because". As time went by, they were made more complex as they were given backstories, starting with Kefka, if I remember well.
Exactly they fit the tragic villain trope ones we can sympathize with, sephiroth was lied to all his life and ardyn was betrayed by his own family and the scourge in him consumed any humanity he had left while sephiroth just fell further and further into his madness and vengeance on the planet of course unlike sephiroth Ardyn is more inclined to be redeemable while sephiroth just is nothing more than a god wannabe a sexy one at that lol.

I am horrible lol love both sephiroth and ardyn cause of their stories

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel
I don't think Crisis Core told us enough about him one way or the other to get a read on his personality. I doubt a switch flipped in his head and suddenly he was a complete sadist. I always saw him as having a huge ego about himself. Finding out about his past may have driven him mad, but I think the real thing that made him the megalomaniac we all know was actually Cloud defeating him in the reactor. He had just gotten all hyped up about how cool and special he's supposed to be, then this random nobody background character just up and, pardon my young folk slang, YEETS him into the abyss. That's what I think really pushed him over the edge; his one main quality that he had over everyone, his raw strength, was proven to have fallen short of expectation. That's why he needed to become a god, so that could NEVER happen again.
Actually it was his pride not his power we seen how strong he is when serious but he never uses his full abilities even when facing cloud cause he was too confident in himself the same pride that made Genesis fall is the same that made sephiroth be defeated several times by cloud

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

54d5961335516789.jpg

giphy.gif

I wonder where this comes from...

Shame about the jpg artifacts but even then there's a TON of detail to explore. This looks incredible on a 4K screen o__o

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
...Everyone should take a minute and contemplate how much effort, digital layering rendering, and artistic design was necessary to create such an intricate and detailed artwork of a fantasy city like that.

Like. That's incredible. This is the most detailed and high-scaled art of Midgar ever seen. That's just.... Wow.

Top Bottom