Final Fantasy IX

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
I liked that about the Key Items in FFIX as well, just getting those little tidbits of info, they were much more detailed than any of the other FFs Key Items were.

As for the whole issue of voice acting yeah I don't think the Dialogue in the FF games has been half as good as it was before voice acting came along although that could be depending on the voice. If someone doesn't portray the dialogue with the emotions or tone we think they should, its bound to make the dialogue sound worse that it could be.

Pre FFX it was easier to feel the dialogue was better because in your own head you could interpret what way it was being said or the emotion of the character. Whereas with Voice acting its much harder to interpret the way you want the character to sound or the tone/emotion of the dialogue because it's already laid out for you so its harder to think that the dialogue is better in that sense.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
People who like FFIX tend to have ideas about FFs that I agree with. It's like a haven of nice, happy people.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
lol, it was frustrating, especially right before a boss and you get it in a random battle. It makes more sense than being able to hold on to the emotions needed for a limit break...but its still frustrating :monster:

Did they ever establish who Cid was regent for? Or was it just the Japanese picking a random European title?

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Or translators picking a random title :monster: According to Wikipedia in Japanese he was '大公', which translates to grand duke (and some other things) but not regent.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
The translators were probably American. So... insert your own Anglo-centric remarks about the American grasp of the English language. :monster:

Did anyone else find Mikoto saying at the beginning of disc 4 "um, yeah, you're gonna die" hilarious? XD I found it funny because it was what I was thinking at the time.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
You're an exception. After all, you know there's a world outside the US. :awesome:

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Garnet is the single worst leading female in the history of Final Fantasy.

Aside from that slight glaring detail, I fucking love FFIX. Easily one of my favourite games in the series :D

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I don't think she's the worst, but she's not especially memorable - apart from that horrible orange jumpsuit. What was she thinking?

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
...How?
And have you SEEN Rinoa?

Rinoa was just stupid.

Garnet was stupid, ignorant, indecisive, and takes about 3 discs to develop a personality on par with the rest of the cast. Such a waste.

Neither was very good though.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Garnet is probably one of my favourite FF girls actually. But I think we can all agree objectively that she far more complex than Rinoa...

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Kerr said:
Garnet was stupid, ignorant, indecisive, and takes about 3 discs to develop a personality on par with the rest of the cast. Such a waste.
I disagree almost entirely with this.

What do you expect from Garnet? She was raised as a Princess and lead a very sheltered life, enclosed in the castle with the odd short trip to Lindblum every once in a while. Of course she's ignorant and naive of the world around her in the beginning but her ignorance vanished almost as quickly as her personality develops. Look at how she develops from disc one right up until the end of disc 4, its a complete transformation that's done gradually and really well over the space of the four discs, it certainly doesn't just appear after a couple of discs.

Garnet's anything but indecisive or stupid. If she was stupid and indecisive she wouldn't have made the decision to leave the castle and seek help about her mother or have been suspicious of her in the first place and she certainly proves many times throughout the game that she's no pushover or doesn't need to rely on others all the time.

If anything Garnet's the complete opposite of Rinoa who wasn't just stupid but also indecisive and ignorant. Even Squall at one point tells her that she can't make a decision without the input of the SeeDs.

She goes off on her own to try and stop Edea, knowing that she's a powerful and dangerous sorceress (stupid much??) and she constantly relies on other people to help her. Squall and Irvine have to go and help her and she even says a few times she's scared to fight on her own whereas Garnet is willing to do things on her own to and even states she can't depend on other people all the time She's a fantastic FF heroine, one of my favourites in fact.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
I love Dagger and her ass tight jumpsuit.

And that she was actually bossy, kinda bratty, and independent.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
Well, Kerr, at least we agree that Rinoa is just plain stupid. xD

I must disagree here. I don't understand how Garnet is stupid and ignorant. She didn't have knowledge about the outside world, but that's not her fault, she grew up behind castle walls. Garnet admits to herself that she is naive, but she improves as time goes by. I don't think it takes THAT long for her to realize her place and what she must do. Even though she fled the castle (I would too with that monster bitch of a Mother who was willing to TAKE HER DAUGHTERS LIFE), she still came back for her people and tried to protect them even though she had very little experience on how to be a ruler. Not only that, but she is a great support to everyone. She's really kind hearted and sweet, so I find it hard to hate her. I like seeing characters that start at the bottom, and work their way to the top. She may not have been the strongest or the wisest first starting off, but through the journey she developed a lot as a character. I just adore how she asks to be kidnapped in the beginning, too. x'D I've never seen an instance where she has acted like an idiot though, I'd have to see an example. Do you have any? XD And I'm not trying to get in a fight or anything, I'm just curious. =P

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Garnet's failings caused me quite a bit of grief, but I never held it against her because she was acting so in character that it made the little dungeon master in me weep with joy.

You can't say Garnet is a bad character, that is just not true. She is an extremely well-developed character with a complete arc and she's very believable for 14th Century-esque heroine.

Anything else is just opinion.

In my opinion, she's up there as one of my favourite FF characters, I like her better than Vivi. And it's not because of her lovingly crafted posterior.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Aww Vivi is just lovable and he's one of my favourite characters ever to have been produced from an FF game. There were so many scenes in FFIX where you just felt like hugging him, he's also never out of my party in the game except when mandatory or when I'm training my characters on the world map.

Top Bottom