Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster Series (Mobile/Steam)

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
This is a good font mod

S6gT09k.jpg

yE4fzK4.jpg

Lex

Administrator
I played through a chunk of FF1 yesterday - I used the Japanese font switch thing, I enjoy a Square font so it looks fine to me.

The games have ultrawide support which I was not expecting, but am very pleased by. There's a tiny sliver of bars at each side but I can live with it since it's not forcing 16:9:

20210801142753_1.jpg

20210801124554_1.jpg

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I will say this with all sincerety.

The soundtracks of each of these are phenomenal.

"The Last Battle- Cloud of Darkness" is fucking fire. I cannot fathom what they'll do with the final boss themes of IV, V and VI.

Dear lord....With how good these tracks are, Dancing Mad will probably make me cum. :wacky:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I bought FFII just to play with the font. That seems to be where the real game is at.

The Mystic Quest font has been updated to apply to numbers as well. I like it! I wouldn't be a big fan of it normally, but each letter/number in the font is really wide, so it fills up the text boxes nicely.

I also have an issue where playing in full screen mode results in massive screen-tearing. It's pretty distracting. Not an issue in windowed mode though. There's a fix for Nvidia graphic cards that involves turning on v-sync, but I don't have a Nvidia card :(

Nandemoyasan

Standing guard
AKA
Johnny
I bought FFII just to play with the font. That seems to be where the real game is at.

The Mystic Quest font has been updated to apply to numbers as well. I like it! I wouldn't be a big fan of it normally, but each letter/number in the font is really wide, so it fills up the text boxes nicely.

I also have an issue where playing in full screen mode results in massive screen-tearing. It's pretty distracting. Not an issue in windowed mode though. There's a fix for Nvidia graphic cards that involves turning on v-sync, but I don't have a Nvidia card :(

Windowed Borderless Gaming can help. I'm not sure where to find it, but it's a simple little program with a GUI that attaches to the notification area of your taskbar. You just right click it, select "Add Window," make the window you want active, press F3, Alt+Enter back out of it, and then set it to your current Canvas Resolution. Boomjams. It'll also detect the app when it starts up, so you won't have to Alt+Enter on startup anymore.

Edit: Okay, I lied, I do know where to get it.

Lex

Administrator
Controversial opinion: while I agree it's bullshit they haven't released these with the additional content, I'm also strangely happy about it. I really feel like I'm getting an enhanced version of what's supposed to be the "pure" original experience just with a bunch of quality of life upgrades.

Ideally they'd have included that content and allowed a toggle option in the menu.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
It's like getting the "pure" base game, but after the "international" version has been released. :monster:

FFXIV, FFV and FFVI are going to be the hardest to lose given they had the most and meaningful additions from the Advance series. In fact, VI had the dummied Kaiser Dragon quest finally completed and added back to the game. One of the most famous cut content that was never finished in time for the game's release, and they actually went back, looked at their notes and what was in game and recreated it from scratch.

Like, I have no idea why they'd ditch all that effort. S-E clearly just wanted to get these out within this fiscal quarter, which meant finishing these up ASAP. I'm still wondering why they didn't even release with a console version simultaneously. But who knows. It feels like this was finished fast.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
The delisted Android version of FFI actually didn't have the bonus dungeons (and music player and bestiary) for an unknown reason.

That didn't even have the argument of being based on an earlier version. It was the PSP/iOS version but gutted.

And they actually have added quite a lot of stuff from the post-NES versions to these remasters. I think they really have something against those bonus dungeons.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I didn't even make a ton of use of the bonus stuff in the past*, but it's still dumb for these not to include it.
*Except FF6, as Mako said, 6 got a lot of good, relevant stuff added in the later releases, and to exclude it feels more noticeably cheap. I also actually rather liked the bonus dungeons in FF1, since you could access them at any time, which felt in-keeping with the original. They were also easy to stumble upon, again due to the way that game is.

On the field maps these do look pretty nice. I still think the battle screen looks mismatched. Big high-res backgrounds with itty-bitty sprites and so much wasted space (again, point to PSP imo). But they sound phenomenal, every track I've heard is positively excellent.

The delisted Android version of FFI actually didn't have the bonus dungeons (and music player and bestiary) for an unknown reason.

That didn't even have the argument of being based on an earlier version. It was the PSP/iOS version but gutted.

Didn't even know that. Square can be so maddening. It's like they intentionally sabotage ports in small ways to make sure that people will keep buying future ports.

And why the fuck is War of the Lions still not on Steam?

Last edited:

Nandemoyasan

Standing guard
AKA
Johnny
Sorry for double-posting. Um, have you guys ever seen one of these?

BuffaloFamicom.png

It's a Buffalo "Famicom" Style USB Wired Controller that I own. It's Direct-Input Only, so it doesn't work with XInput games.

I was trying to configure Joy2Key to use it with FF3 and it was taking directional inputs twice each time I pressed it...

Long story short, the Pixel Remasters are Direct-Input Compatible. That means literally ANY game controller that you can get for PC will work with them.

THAT is definitely new for SE.

Edit: Well, somebody has to post it

SetEmUpKnockEmDown.png

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
I got all the achievements in FF1, including the one for the bestiary and all treasure. It took me a while to encounter that rare pseudo-superboss enemy on the last floor, and then when I finished the game I was only missing the iron golem. I was also capped on gil, which is a bit weird. I didn't grind at all and everyone was level 52 when I finished, way overpowered.

Such a compact little game in comparison with later entries. It's a shame the progression throughout is so obtuse but it is an ancient RPG. It's been potentially over a decade since I last played it so I couldn't remember where to go quite a few times.

On to 2!

JechtShotMK9

The Sublimely Magnificent One
AKA
Kamiccolo9
I just can't justify paying for I and II while I have the PSP versions, and I refuse to shell out $20 for a 25 year old game in III, as much as I love it. I already have the GBA versions of V and VI, and the PSP IV collection. Is there any real reason for me to buy these?

Top Bottom