• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster Series (Mobile/Steam)

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I just can't justify paying for I and II while I have the PSP versions, and I refuse to shell out $20 for a 25 year old game in III, as much as I love it. I already have the GBA versions of V and VI, and the PSP IV collection. Is there any real reason for me to buy these?

AR photo mode? :monster:

The newly remixed music?

Improved background pixel art and sprites?

That's... About it.

This actually made me nostalgic to replay my PSP copy of FF1 and it still holds up. It's a well done and fun remaster, and I happen to like the sprites of that one the most, tbh. The blend of sprite and artistic illustration looks clean on the PSP.

Nandemoyasan

Standing guard
AKA
Johnny
I just can't justify paying for I and II while I have the PSP versions, and I refuse to shell out $20 for a 25 year old game in III, as much as I love it. I already have the GBA versions of V and VI, and the PSP IV collection. Is there any real reason for me to buy these?

I mean, video games are basically toys. If it's not a toy you think you will have fun with, then the answer is "No." There is no real reason why you should buy them.

Nandemoyasan

Standing guard
AKA
Johnny
I'm on 2 now and BOY had I forgotten how much of a slog some parts of this game are. The Dreadnought with its constant bombs and status effects was just exhausting.

I finished 2 a couple days ago, and boy howdy is this on the money. It is nice to listen to the new OST, the graphical improvements are lush and extravagant, and there are a lot of QoL improvements, but it doesn't save FF2 from being tedious and leaden-paced. It just plain lacks a way to deal with enemy mobs quickly, after a certain point, short of just grinding grinding grinding your elemental spells and MP until they're totally ridiculous.

Also, the mechanic of "being inflicted with a status ailment when struck by xy enemy" was definitely not perfected yet. Instead of "just sometimes" like in FF1, it has now become "almost 90% of the time", if the enemy in question has the ability to deal the status effect with their attack. This works in your favor, too; your weapons which deal statuses will give them out willy nilly as well; but stopping to heal status effects during battle repeatedly only takes up a turn that you could be using to get rid of some of the enemies that are attacking you... in all it just feels really ponderous and slow.

Lex

Administrator
Finished 3 today (so that's 1, 2 and 3 down with all achievements) and I have to say I've had a really fun time. The music is incredible and the games just feel well done. Not to keep banging the "they cut content" drum, but having completed the bestiary for all 3 games they've restored enemies that were dummied in the NES version (that were also present in the 3D version), so they've added some content at least.

This fucking slaps but so does every other track I've heard:

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Her conscious effort to factor in the stretching inherent with older consoles when making the new ones shows that, yeah, these aren't the soulless remakes like the iOS and Android versions. (though, for all I know, maybe those factored it in too, lol) Either way, it shows the project was approach with intention.

For an example for how out of whack the pixel aspect ratio can display, Magus' Castle shows it off well:

1630535262494.png
(Probably clear, but that moon shows up as a circle on CRTs)

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
So she designed with doing a throwback to the already existing Famicom sprites in mind.

I mean, that's self evident. She reused the same old sprites, except re-pixelated them with LCD displays in mind. And also factored in display stretching to keep things mostly balanced.

She did a great job in that technical regard. The old school sprites have been recreated, with updated displays in mind, perfectly. I just don't think that's... Really impressive at all in the long run.

Those ugly, cursed Steam and mobile ports of classic FF games did exactly what I feared towards the future. They completely chilled any hope or desire within Square to creatively reinterpret or modernize the designs of the classic FFs, making Square just safely fall back into the nostalgic low-fi sprites that existed decades ago. Because the blowback didn't mean those sprites were ass, it meant all new sprites were ass and we need to go back to basics!

Like, yeah, there's a market for it, and it's good. I'm happy for people who like that. But there was something far more amazing, creative and artistically interesting seeing updated, high quality sprite work with modern aesthetics in mind. Those sprites captured Amano's aesthetic far better than the technically limited CRT sprites of old. But, Square missed the entire point of why those shitty modern sprites were hated. It wasn't because they were modern.

Hell, we could've gone past what the Anniversary editions of these games did and had an Octopath style of 3D and 2D with updated sprites and new content to boot.

Instead, we're back in the past, Famicom style. Like Garland's time loop. Oh well :monster:

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Square Enix Updates Final Fantasy 1-3 Pixel Remaster Font To Improve Readibility. “The text for the following languages has been adjusted to improve readability. These improvements have also been implemented for FF4 and all subsequent titles: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, ” reads the update on Steam.

They also made some updates to 1-3.

Final Fantasy 1

– Issue where some parts of the Items menu would disappear temporarily under certain conditions.
– It was sometimes impossible to unlock the achievement “Master of I” when continuing to play, using the cloud save function.

Final Fantasy 2

– Issue where the destination travelled to is incorrect when using teleport in a separate area after leaving a specific dungeon (There is a chance that this issue will still occur once after the update when using pre-existing save data).
– Issue where some parts of the Items menu would disappear temporarily under certain conditions.
– It was sometimes impossible to unlock the achievement “Master of II” when continuing to play, using the cloud save function.

Final Fantasy 3

• – Issue where songs learned as a Bard are also exchanged when party members use the “exchange” spell, creating an incorrect situation with the abilities learned.
    – It was sometimes impossible to unlock the achievement “Master of III” when continuing to play, using the cloud save function.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Font didn't really change much it seems

unknown.png

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Here's why the Final Fantasy IV Pixel Remaster removed the Developer's Room
Takashi Tokita said:
I've been told by the fans "Hey Tokita, why did you omit the Development Room!?" But I wasn't actually involved there. I would rather have it retained myself (laughs). But as a matter of circumstance, it needed a confirmation from all dev staff members of the time. I reckon they were involved on whether to prepare a Development Room in the remake version or not. And in the current era, there is also somebody whose speech has a compliance problem... Ah, that's me though (strained laugh).

-----------

Square Enix's Takashi Tokita would like to create a Pixel Remaster or 3D remake of FF4: The After Years

Top Bottom