Final Fantasy Tactics Community Playthrough

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
BUT that you can use Samurai skills with the appropriate katana merely in your inventory instead of equipped. Which is something I had no idea about until embarrassingly recently :monster:

That was my intention. I am routinely loaded with cash so I've been buying up a handful of each Katana. I'll teach her the Samurai skills to start then switch her back to Holy Knight.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer

Click through to Twitch if you want to chat or to Discord if you want to join me for voice commentary – doesn't have to be about FFT either, chit-chat is fine. :)

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Chapter 7: It is -power- that rules Ivalice
AKA: "&#^$in' Riovanes"

Time: Wednesday Mar 1(ish) to Monday Mar 6

Target: After you reach the start of in-game Chapter 4, this is the final in-game Chapter, so this different chapter # thing is over (we've still got about halfway to go, though).

xilz1rA.png

Okay, after one more battle en route, we will have reached Tactics' most notorious set of battles. Countless Tactics playthroughs have died at Riovanes Castle. But we will persevere.

More than ever before, it is imperative that you save on a separate file within Riovanes. It consists exclusively of difficult battles, and if one proves too much, you'll want a way back out. For the second, Ramza will be one-on-one, if you struggle with this, there is a method to cheese your way through using two of his unique Squire abilities. The third is more conventional, but still not easy, the enemies can dish out serious damage. The fourth is a different beast, it really depends on luck and will probably be a short match either with your victory or your defeat.

Discussion:
  • Grand Duke Barrington's a slimy POS, isn't he? Any comments on the Rapha/Marach plot thread?
  • You've witnessed one of the darkest scenes in the whole game. Thoughts?
  • Congratulations on passing the infamous Tactics road block! How did you fare?
  • Still keeping up with Rumors and the plot at large? The parties at play and who belongs to which group? (The Riovanes rumor is particularly gnarly.)

Feel free to ask Omega and I for any help you need. Good luck!

Last edited:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Discussion:
  • [*]Any trouble at Orbonne? The second fight has a rough layout.

Yes the layout is tricky but with the G-something boots equipped on everybody my tactics were hardly affected. The first fight was laughable, the second I cheesed by spamming the target with summons and the third got dicey when the bastard knocked out Ilean but he still went down quick enough.

[*]What are your thoughts on Isilud? There's more story to him after this of course, but I've always found him kind of an interesting character. Also, there may not be much to say, but if you have any thoughts as to what's become of
    Wiegraf
    , I'd like to hear them.

Isilud is tricky. Most characters I've found so far lack truly nefarious motivations but rather commit nefarious acts in the name of whatever higher ideal they claim to be fighting for. (Apart from the top dogs, but isn't that always how it works?) And you know who happening you know what happened was interesting too. I'm looking forward to carving my way through a serious of powered up enemy combatants.

[*]Did you read the Scriptures of Germonique? What do you think?

I think what I have thought this entire time - the guy who thought s l o w l y s c r o l l i n g t e x t was a good idea should be shot. The idea of a false Jesus (and let's just call him Jesus and Germonik Judas because that's what they are ) to be not all that surprising really. Final Fantasy has a vendetta against organized religion and this one probably chief among them. Still a cool story though!

[*]And what of Delita? Do we trust him? Do we have any firmer grasp on his motives?

I have always believed that if nothing else Delita wants to do the right thing, and I think he must have the power to accomplish something great if the tales recall him as being a hero. I trust that he has some higher goal in mind, though apart from "fuck the nobles" I'm not certain what it is.

Also as an aside this game keeps chucking characters and story arcs at us even at this late stage. Rich tapestry indeed.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Final Fantasy has a vendetta against organized religion and this one probably chief among them. Still a cool story though!

One of my favorite things about the story in Tactics, though, is that it isn't that simple for once.

Never said it was a bad thing! This is very engaging. I can see why Honest Trailers called it "the best installment of the legendary series". :monster:

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Ah, Riovanes...the first time in my gaming history where I was forced - literally forced - to go to gamefaqs to find a way through an obstacle.

Good times.

ps rafa and malak fucking suck that's the best advice you'll ever get

see look

- Yes, you're not imagining it. Rafa and Malak DO suck. Immensely. Don't bother using them unless you just hate yourself. Or are really lucky. Seriously. They're shitty.

Last edited:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Any trouble at Orbonne? The second fight has a rough layout.
As you saw from my stream, the second fight went very well for me, but the third fight proved trickier. My first attempt was unlucky but I could have got it on the second had I been smarter. Even the third, successful attempt cut it fine – only Agrias was alive to deal the finishing blow.
What are your thoughts on Isilud? There's more story to him after this of course, but I've always found him kind of an interesting character. Also, there may not be much to say, but if you have any thoughts as to what's become of
Wiegraf
, I'd like to hear them.
These story questions make me feel like I'm in an exam I haven't studied for – even though I have "studied". :wacky: I'm just very lost at the moment. All I know is that there's a war going on and that Ramza has been branded a heretic. This game is definitely going to take a second playthrough for me to understand.
Did you read the Scriptures of Germonique? What do you think?
Nope, didn't even realise I could. Going back to the exam theme, I didn't read the instructions, just jumped straight to the questions. :P
And what of Delita? Do we trust him? Do we have any firmer grasp on his motives?
As I said while streaming, regardless of who he appears to be working for, I think he has his own agenda. That was just a hunch until the last FMV of this chapter showed him and "Ovelia" in conversation. He's talking as if he's in love with her but at the same time says he doesn't know who she is, which is puzzling. I mentioned that Ramza seems to be a neutral good character; I'd probably say that Delita is chaotic good, perhaps chaotic neutral. I could be completely wrong, of course.

Funny to see Luso, who I obviously know from TA2, in this game. I wasn't expecting it. I haven't used him yet because his selection of abilities is a bit lacking but if my party limit is raised to six at some point (which I'm expecting) then that might change.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Funny to see Luso, who I obviously know from TA2, in this game. I wasn't expecting it. I haven't used him yet because his selection of abilities is a bit lacking but if my party limit is raised to six at some point (which I'm expecting) then that might change.

I was hoping you were going to get that fight on the Stream because I wanted to see your reaction :monster:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
My PS3 died... :( I managed to get this shot from Orbonne before it died though.

xrMcFZQ.jpg

cShPelE.jpg

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
My PS3 died... :( I managed to get this shot from Orbonne before it died though.

xrMcFZQ.jpg

cShPelE.jpg

Annnnnnnnnnd saved.

You should put that second one on 9Gag. Seriously that's gold. Reminds me of this classic one:

f50ad1a3ee294e756fe74c951c9a9535.jpg

Edit: Alternate file name for the second image.

mondaymorning.jpg

Last edited:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Double-post, forgive me. I attempted Riovannes this morning. The first fight I destroyed, even used it to spam JP on my Time Mages (teaching them Short Charge and Teleport) but still retaining their Summoner/ Chemist sub roles.

Then did fight two / three combo... Let me describe how it felt with
16938620_198949797255471_384610269332831326_n.jpg

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
...in all seriousness, though, the damn roof battle is entirely luck based. If you make it past THE WORLD'S BIGGEST IDIOT's first or second turn, you're probably golden. Good fucking luck on that one, though. Christ.

I can give more useful, thorough, and detailed help if needed.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Yeah I'm getting torn up. I can carve down phase 1 okay but phase 2 is wrecking my shit. I may have to go back to my save before right before Riovannes and learn some of the Ramza Squire abilities I missed out on.

Question about Guts and the Mediator abilities: When they raise Brave, Faith and Speed are these permanent stat increases (aka can I spam these in a fight and max them out?)

ForceStealer

Double Growth
For every four points of faith/bravery increases/decreases, one point is permanent. Be careful on maxing faith or brave on people other than Ramza though. They can leave.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
For every four points of faith/bravery increases/decreases, one point is permanent. Be careful on maxing faith or brave on people other than Ramza though. They can leave.

I've heard people saying if you min max Ramza on Faith/Brave and make him a Samurai with Blade Grasp he is basically untouchable. Low Faith reduces mag damage?

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
High Faith equals high magic damage dealt and received; however, this also applies to healing (low Faith equals low healing). There are spells in the game that grant status effects (Atheist and uh...something or other) that treat your character as though their Faith is 0 or 100. But I wouldn't recommend giving Ramza low Faith at all.

And yeah, you can permanently raise or lower Brave/Faith with any ability that lowers it by a specific amount, as Force mentioned. Every four points in battle equals one permanent point. So giving them +20 in battle = +5 permanent. It's quicker to lower the stats than raise them, but it's not hard to do it at all.

What's REALLY time consuming is deleveling to 1, then back to 99, over and over to max your stats :P

and yes, it's low brave/high faith that will make party members leave. permanent values of 9 Br/94 Fai and they're done. game warns you when they're getting there

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Okay,sorry, I thought the extreme of either stat makes them leave. But I guess it's just low brave makes a coward and high faith makes them...join the priesthood or something. :monster:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
AHAHAHAHAHAHAH VICTORY! SUCK MY NINJA DICK YOU GRIMACE FUCK!

(MinMax FaithBrave Squire Ramza with TwoSwords and AutoPotion FtW)

Top Bottom