Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Novus

Pro Adventurer
This may be a dumb question. But I still don't get the title of this game. It just doesn't make sense?

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
Versus means to contrast or oppose, so its theme might be a counter-argument/different perspective to whatever XIII's was.

Novus

Pro Adventurer
I'm sure in Japan it's fine, but over in English speaking countries it's a marketing disaster.
If it was an piece of fiction by a single writer critiquing the works of another writer it would make sense. But from a video game it just sounds like the FFXIII characters brawling.

Lex

Administrator
Posted on the official SE Twitter:

3SAq8Od.jpg

See when this game does eventually happen, I'm going to have to work very hard not to go into it hating Noctis from the constant hype surrounding his character for absolutely no reason >_>.

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
Interesting timing. If the game is still being made, then they're likely delaying it for a release on the PS4. Wouldn't surprise me if we hear more about it at Sony's reveal on Wednesday.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Not every day you know what a character smells like before the game actually exists.

Jiro

Average Jiro
People are going to be less disappointed if they announce it as vapourware. The sheer time it has taken has built everyone up way too much. It'd be Duke Nukem Forever all over again.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Why perfume instead of aftershave? Is it because Noctis is gay? lol Or are they aiming at a female demographic...

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
Merchandising about a character from a game that doesn't exist (yet).

Wat.

But I can't blame them. People are obsessed with the character. It makes sense Square would milk that. They're being reasonably smart for once. The sad thing is the combination of Square not having finished the game after 7 years and the fans going mad about something that doesn't exist.

Also, this is a bit random but anyone else feels Versus had some of the problems FFXIII had (cities-wise) and had to be at least partially re-worked to avoid a fiasco and that's part of the reason it's taking so long?

Dumb Apple

Soul Wrought of Terra Corrupt
AKA
Geostigma, Omega Gist
4+ years later and I'm still snorting any FF Versus XIII news off a glass tabletop.

Last edited:

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
I don't think I understand why people would have a problem if the game came out for next-gen consoles.

I'd be unlikely to buy it because I don't plan on owning a next-gen console, or at least not any time soon. But I hardly see reason to be pissed at a decision to release it on one.

Last edited:

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
Because it was originally advertised as a game for the PS3. A lot of people bought the console expecting a series of FF titles, of which Versus was one.

And they got the most disliked piece of shit SE has made in return. And sequels no one asked for.

So after 7 years of waiting, SE announces they want us to shell another $400+ to play the title they promised their customers?? FUCK NO!

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The thing is, Square tried to be greedy, releasing 3 final fantasies at the beginning of console life, instead of spacing it out. And if they could have, they would have kept going for a total of 9 FF games in the PS3's lifespan.

But releasing only 3 Final Fantasies per console has and always will be their workload. They can't get out of it. And because they took the risk, we were stuck with 3 games under the same development engine that they started with (instead of advancing to better graphics as time went on), but it's all still salvageable.

I'd rather they just admit to everyone that they screwed up, rework the game, and do it right. But they aren't and it's irritating.

Top Bottom