Final Fantasy VII 25th Anniversary

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Oh thanks a lot, I had missed this! So they're probably waiting for XVI to be released, as expected ^^

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Given the length of development…it makes me wonder if new entries are totally new or are basically SUPER LONG DLC of the original. Given the changing format with opening the world, I bet more will change than anticipated

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
They're definitely developing these games as separate, fully fledged games with new material. Of course assets, animations and data will carry over but it's definitely not gonna just be like expanded DLC.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Really? I interpreted that on the contrary, 2023 is still the likely year for part 2 lol.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
We'll "hear" something this year.

That's a very hedged answer. We can hear "something" about FFVII-R's next part literally from now until December 31st 2022. I'd bank on getting a teaser trailer during E3 in June at the earliest. And that's optimistic.

Realistically speaking, I'd expect a teaser at Jump Festa near December of 2022.

Like, honestly, I want them to wait as long as possible before dropping ANYTHING related to Part 2, because once they do, that starts the clock and raises expectations for release. They seriously dropped Part 1's announcement too soon and it took years before the game actually was close to being actually close to finished. There's simply no reason to fallback onto the Versus XIII strategy of dropping ridiculously early beta footage over and over again to generate hype and prolong the guessing of when the retail release date will come. It's pointless and gets people's hopes up for things that might not even exist.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Games of this caliber easily take anywhere from 3-5 years to make. Some of the development done for part 1 might expedite the process a bit but it should also be noted that Kitase once said he doesn't expect development to be "dramatically shorter" and of course, Covid happened and if FF14 and 16 were affected by several months, Remake 2 is no exception.
I honestly expect it around 2024 at the earliest.

Ideally I'd like them to not release a teaser years before release. Don't start the hype cycle until there is something to hype imo :monster:

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Like, honestly, I want them to wait as long as possible before dropping ANYTHING related to Part 2, because once they do, that starts the clock and raises expectations for release.

This is why I wish they wouldn't release much news before any game. Two trailers with the 2nd one including a little bit more than the first should be enough. Fans have become too accustomed to lots of info prerelease. I'd prefer they wait as long as possible, as well

Last edited:

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
There's been many interpretations of the Aerith funeral scene, but that one in the zine is probably one of my favorites. It's serene, meloncholic,, beautiful and atmospheric.

The zine itself is also quite clearly passionate - it makes me wonder just how long they've had this in the works. The variety's good too, ranging from essays to short stories to artworks. Good find!

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Thanks for the link to the zine, @Odysseus ! I love the essays by Rynling, wiish, Study of Swords, Belderiver, Mary, materiodic… all of them! They remind me why those PS1 FFs will forever have a lofty place in video game art history.

The pro-fanfic, anti-compilation rant was a nostalgic lick of an old salt cube too, haha.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Anyone got any guesses for what the "other" FF7 projects Nomura alluded to are?

Netflix series? Another movie? Comic book adaptation? Pez dispensers?

Personally, I'd like an "FF7 25th anniversary collection" HD remaster of DoC, CC, and whatever else.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
"Other projects" I feel like more than likely refers to remasters, if I were to make a guess. The trademarks for the other titles were renewed and I wanna believe that eventually it will mean something other than just continued trademark refreshing. They did mention wanting to re-release those titles again, and no better time to re-release Crisis Core, a game that was released during the 10th anniversary.

Unlikely to be another new game.

Top Bottom