"Final Fantasy VII Lateral Biography: TURKS - The Kids Are Alright"

Pixel

The Pixie King
Yeah, we should jump on this ASAP. Dont want to dilly dally. Everything is there. Just needs pages created. I have no idea how, otherwise id do it myself.

The project has stagnated for too long. I want mecorx to get the recognition she deserves.

Finally I have the time and the mind space to read this story properly. This is an amazing thing you guys have done. Pixel, your audiobook is a real pleasure to listen to.

I have a question. In Chapter 12, "Unknown World", when Reno, Rude, Kyrie and Evan are driving to Healin, they have the following conversation:

"Was Aerith a friend?"

Reno asked.

"Well…” Kyrie replied. "There's a crumbling church in the slums, where we played together. We did things like pretending to hold wedding ceremonies. Aerith was always in the church, taking care of the flowers on her own. Sometimes we talked about it. One day, Aerith told me to go home quickly. I thought she was being mean, because I stepped on her flowers."

"Oh, the flowers. She was pretty fussy about those flowers."

"When I got home in a bad mood, my parent's bodies were being carried to the house."

"That’s—"

"I heard it from my grandmother. About the lifestream and the Ancients. I thought it was just a fairytale at the time, but after that— I figured Aerith was an ancient."

"When was this?"

"When I was 10. I think Aerith was a little older. Hey, what do you think I said when I met Aerith after that?"

"I dunno."

"I said I felt bad."

Kyrie pulled her legs up onto the seat, held her knees, and buried her face.

“Oh”

"I stopped going to the church. Then, after a few years had passed… a bit after the Sector 7 collapse. I decided to get flowers for those who had died. It was then that I heard that Aerith had been taken by the Turks."

What does Kyrie mean by "I said I felt bad". Does she mean that she felt nervous, scared, sick around Aerith? That Aerith, or maybe the idea that Aerith was this weird thing, an Ancient, frightened or alarmed her ? Kyrie says she stopped going to the church, which suggests that she no longer felt comfortable there. Was this because of the fright she got when Aerith"saw" her parents' death?

Really? Well, psychologically it makes sense. I'd be creeped out, too. No wonder Aerith hid her Cetra status.

I'm glad they made Kyrie and Aerith passing acquaintances rather than best friends. More believable.

Pixel

The Pixie King
If you notice anything else, let me know. We've gone through everything a good few times, but we miss stuff every so often :P

If you notice anything else, let me know. We've gone through everything a good few times, but we miss stuff every so often :P

Be happy to.

There are a couple of things I am struggling with, but they're formatting issues. One is that the tenses seem to follow Japanese rules for when to use past and present rather than English ones, which sometimes makes it hard to know whether an action is happening now or in the past. The other is that the dialogue isn't laid out according to the conventions of written English, so I'm often confused about who is saying what.

I'm using the links in the first post of this thread. Are those the links to the final drafts?

Pixel

The Pixie King
Yeah, final drafts. Japanese is kind of annoying when translating, since the phrases they use contain a bit more info, like gender, seniority, etc, which we discard in english. So it's obvious who is saying what. But in English, you sometimes have to interpret or keep figuring it out after reading the convo

Hey Pixel, in chapter 36:

「キリエをたのむ」
"Ask for Kyrie."

I think it means "I'm entrusting you with Kyrie." I think Evan says it.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Oh, yeah, ive been making corrections on google docs for the secont half of the book. Theres quite a bit that meeds fixed up

「でね、 こう言ってた。 うらやましくなんかないからな、 だって。 どういう意味かな」
"Then, he said, "It's not because I'm jealous." What does that mean?"

Ha! I always suspected Rufus of secretly yearning to live a normal life (just like Aerith).

Pixel

The Pixie King
I hate asking for donations, but if anyone would like to donate to the translation effort, however small, send mecorx a PM for the details. I hope you can see the quality of the work from these chapters, and hopefully we can race through the rest of the book.
http://thelifestream.net/forums/member.php?u=8693

Cheers

Anyone who donates will get donator status, and access to the donators section, where I'll be posting the final drafts of the remaining chapters as they are completed.

sylveonne

sylveonne
Hi Pixel,
Are you going to be uploading the chapters of Part 2 as you get them done, or are you going to post them one by one? Also how long do you think it will take? Just wondering since Part 1 was started in 2011 right?

Shimi

Rookie Adventurer
Anyone who donates will get donator status, and access to the donators section, where I'll be posting the final drafts of the remaining chapters as they are completed.

In other words, you're saying that only members with donator status will be able to read part 2?

Soakette

Donator
AKA
Jess
There isnt even a thread in the donators page for this. Does anyone know whats going on with this?

mecorx

Moonrune Archaeologist
AKA
Translator of Things
I still have access to all the scans and stuff, but I haven't touched them lately because I'm currently working full-time from Mondays to Fridays as a translator. I suppose something can be done on the weekends if there is interest. Not sure how posting will work, though.

Edit: Oh, also proofreading. I have Pixel go through my edits.

Last edited:

Ivette

Donator
I´m so happy to know that you are working! That are very good news! Congratulations! ^_^ I´m absolutely interested in this novel, and I swear that as soon as I gain some money I will love to make a donation to you for your fantástic work :) I´m eternally gratefull to all of you

Pixel

The Pixie King
PHOENIX DOWN

So, mecorx and I are going to be working to finish this. We are open to donations, but I will be paying for the translation myself. I will also be working to complete the final audiobook, CASE OF SHINRA

If you would like to support these projects, you can donate. But if you would like to get something more than this, you can commission artwork from me. This will help pay for the translation, as well as paying for voice actors.

You can find examples of my artwork here
http://thelifestream.net/forums/showpost.php?p=639654&postcount=42

Contact me at josephknight84 (at) hotmail.co.uk

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
You should really look at his works / services, he's pretty awesome, :monster:. I'm probably going to comission portraits and such as birthday gift ideas (I always run out of those, lololo)

Top Bottom