FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH ANNOUNCED

Golden Ear

Pro Adventurer
AKA
M. Prod
I should shut up about it, but... The reason Aeris -> Aerith doesn't get a rise out of me is because SE owns the character. If they wanted to name her "SLAM DUNK" so that when Sephiroth kills her from above, Cloud screams "SLAM DUNK!", that's their prerogative.

However, beyond what I stated before (Gaelic being endangered), SE is borrowing both the name and design of the mythical Cait Sith, and giving him a Scottish accent to boot. So it's kinda weird to not honor the original pronunciation and lowkey xenophobic of some fans to celebrate the news. Just another sad cliff note in the long history of English pushing out and erasing other cultures.

Alright, stepping off the podium.

Ahhhh SLAM DUNK, a mis-pronunciation of how she should be called - SLUM DRUNK.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield

"Similar to FF7R, there will be elements in the story that will make you go “wait, what?” With that being said, I think those elements will probably be more at the forefront than in the previous game."

Scary asf

FFVIIR new artificial story additions only watered down the emotional gravitas to me. I hope it will be done better here.

D

Deleted member 13557

Did a little bit of reading and quickly realised that the Cait Sith situation is a bigger issue than I thought. All apologies for my earlier comment and if I caused any offence. Didn’t have a clue how deep this went.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Two new articles from RPGFan. The first is a hands-on impression with screenshots of new materia, and the second is an interview with Rebirth director Naoki Hamaguchi. Lots of goodies inside.

• "Whether Cait Sith is riding the Moogle or not will make a difference in his playstyle during battle."
  • "All characters will have synergy attacks with every character pairing."
  • Through Chadley, summons will have their backgrounds explored and "how they came into existence."
  • Summon materia will grow by playing minigames and progressing the story.
  • There will be "optional or mandatory clothing changes," but costumes won't appear during serious story moments.
And now for my favorite part, new materia! As someone currently doing a Remake challenge run, I really wish I had access to some of these. Here's the ones that interest me the most.

5f74e0cc-78c2-4629-ac9d-cdde7c119d1e.png

95d64e71-d4a6-44a8-86e9-c21ca2e887f5.png

56121ac8-020a-47af-8cd3-97bf4b51bcab.png

Last edited:

Rose_of_Night

Pro Adventurer
does anyone have a link to the comic con ppanel that's being livestreamed? both square's youtube and twitch arent live for me

edit: i'm watching it restreamed by another guy but the audio isn't that good. Matt Mercer just confirmed he's voicing Vincent

ultima786

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ultima
That panel was a lot of fun. Btw what the hell is with Cody’s reveal of Cloud’s so-called “transformation” and “out of body experience”??

ForceStealer

Double Growth
The Gold Saucer play or Zack impression are both solid guesses. No matter what I agree that he almost certainly wasn't talking about some momentous plot development but rather something fun/funny.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
The way he talks about attempting to talk in a foreign language and also that as players we'd crack up seeing it and how he brings it up explicitly as an example of how he really loves the goofball side of Cloud, it's almost guaranteed to be the play at Gold Saucer.

Everything else weird like that has been dialed up to 11 since Remake, and especially with the extant foreshadowing of the team putting a lot of thought into that (with Jessie cast as the Princess), there's almost certainly going to be a lot more put into all the components of the play this time around. Especially with the possibility that that's already a part of the date sequence that may involve one of multiple party members, I can only imagine that this was THE segment that's been designed to be crammed to the gills with everything from touching callbacks to absurd goofy shenanigans – but especially because the original game allows Cloud to act along as or absolutely flub the presentation.

Seeing Matt Mercer going drunk with power asking questions was almost as enjoyable as him telling the story of how they revealed he got the role of Vincent while recording him in the boost coming in to do lines as a 12-year-old kid extra (since he recorded some extras for Remake). Also hearing that he got to talk to Steve Blum about it really makes me glad with the two of them being friends:

There're some of the others in the replies of this

And this has some other photos with the cast from NYCC

More than anything else though...

...I really hope that someone manages to make a version of that recording blooper reel that's ok to release, because I adore all of them and they seem to have SUCH a fun time with the rest of the staff who all do a MASSIVELY critical part of bringing everything together.

X :neo:

Golden Ear

Pro Adventurer
AKA
M. Prod

Does this confirm that Part 3 will begin with Icicle Inn on the way to the Reunion?

Why do I get the feeling that whatever happens at the end of Rebirth won't just be a matter of "Does Aerith still die or live this time?"

There's got to be more to it than that and we have Zack right on the cover of the box art (!!). It's getting harder and harder to imagine that part 3 is going to be recognizable from the OG. Will we have Zack on the way to the Reunion?

Not sure how anyone else around here is thinking about any of this.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I don't know how it's hard to imagine but we'll see. The fact the Snowboarding mini game isn't present here but in part 3 seems like a pretty consistent alignment if the progression follows when/where it happens based on FFVII.

Golden Ear

Pro Adventurer
AKA
M. Prod
I'm expecting something to happen at the end of Rebirth that will throw a wrench into how we would normally just head off to Icicle Inn like in the OG.

For example, Zack is right smack on the cover of the Rebirth box art. I'm just saying, I would be extremely surprised if we didn't get some kind big thing happen that directly involves him in the climax of the game that isn't just him doing something in a parallel world.

I can't see Rebirth ending with just the premise of "Does Aerith live or die?" I feel the developers must have something up their sleeve to have a much bigger ending than just normal Forgotten City events. If they are really going to make it a Empire Strikes back ending and leave on some kind of "Cliffhanger" which they have implied in interviews there has to be some kind of twist or surprise.

Maybe the twist is Aerith lives. But that really wouldn't be very 2nd instalment of a trilogy/ESB downer that one might expect. That would be more hopeful, but Part 1 all ready ended on a hopeful note so I can't see them going with two hopeful endings in a row like that.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I'd prefer that the forgotten city is the end point, moved to after Icicle Inn, but before the NC. Therefore, we still snowboard down the mountain. We just won't get to redo it at Golden Saucer as a mini-game till the 3rd one. So technically Hamaguchi's statement would still be true.

Golden Ear

Pro Adventurer
AKA
M. Prod
That's also a possibility I've considered, still get snowboarding just won't be at the Gold Saucer this game.

Maybe we get Reunion events at the Forgotten City, they are really leaning into talking about the Reunion quite a bit in the trailers so far. Maybe they just save all the NC stuff location wise entirely for Part 3 as a single visit. So the Reunion won't be at the Whirlwind Maze.

I'm surprised most people aren't wondering out loud, "hey wait a minute.....what's going to be different"
Seriously, like it's not just going to be Aerith dies at the Forgotten Capital, everyone's sad we put her in the Lake and then just patiently await for Part 3 where we start the game at icicle Inn and then go snowboarding with Cloud and everyone just like the OG.

Last edited:
Reactions: LNK

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I wouldn't think this way, but them moving Wutai to the 3rd game, opened that possibility up for me.

Maidenofwar

They/Them
Those bustards took Wedge, I don't forgive them!

I am curious to see if they will do more with Times Guardian at Temple of the Ancients, the spirits there, etc, as well as mystery of the blue stones at Forgotten Capital.

The planet is pissed and wants Zack redead, is going to stop us from saving Aerith too or something, idk :kermitu:

Top Bottom