FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH ANNOUNCED

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
It's interesting because I've been saying the only two options are either three or four parts because five would be too many and there is no way they'd finish it in only two.
And now to learn that the options were two and three all along and they never meant to go beyond three.

But how the hell did they ever consider two?? Like...might as well have announced it as a trilogy back in 2015.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
It's interesting because I've been saying the only two options are either three or four parts because five would be too many and there is no way they'd finish it in only two.
And now to learn that the options were two and three all along and they never meant to go beyond three.

But how the hell did they ever consider two?? Like...might as well have announced it as a trilogy back in 2015.

Kitase has always been okay with cutting corners. You can bet that was his proposal. Only Tabata was worse.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
With Nomura being forthcoming that locations will be out-of-order, guess we'll have to throw out all the chapter breakdowns we've made up to this point huh? :lol:

I don't know all the meme formats out there, but there's gotta be a perfect one for "Kitase in interviews" vs "Kitase in games", because these two things are hilariously diametrically opposed.

1657237625333.png

1657237398175.png

(For the record, because I can already hear typing, I always thought they'd follow the events of the original game up to the Forgotten Capital, as well as a few big moments afterwards such as Meteor being summoned and the Weapons attacking major cities. I'm just pointing out that saying "The Unknown Journey Will Continue" may have been a bold way to end Remake if we take the interviews at face value haha)

Last edited:

Golden Ear

Pro Adventurer
AKA
M. Prod
With Nomura being forthcoming that locations will be out-of-order, guess we'll have to throw out all the chapter breakdowns we've made up to this point huh? :lol:

Now we can speculate on how they'll change the order. ? Although a lot of us have been doing that a bit (Wutai Fort Condor), it just depends on how much re-arranging they'll do.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I mean, saying "the unknown journey will continue" can easily be explained within the in-universe context of the story. The writers don't need to spoil the story for those who've never played it because for them, it is unknown. Just like it's unknown for the characters.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I mean, saying "the unknown journey will continue" can easily be explained within the in-universe context of the story.
Are the characters reading the giant floating text
The writers don't need to spoil the story for those who've never played it because for them, it is unknown.
They've already given away many things to some degree, and even said the original twists isn't gonna happen the way it did originally, so I dunno about that reasoning.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
They've already given away many things to some degree, and even said the original twists isn't gonna happen the way it did originally, so I dunno about that reasoning.

Where have they said that? I recall them saying some memorable plot points won’t land in the same way as they did in the OG, hence why they aren’t doing the “Jaws” method of depicting Sephiroth in the Remake, but I don’t think they have said the twists themselves are going to be significantly different.

Anyways, yeah stuff like Wutai and Fort Condor seem like likely candidates for locations being reorganized. Also the Gold Saucer/Corel, Gongaga, and Cosmo Canyon could feasibly be shuffled around if the Buggy Car that the party gets from Dio gets significantly changed.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Where have they said that? I recall them saying some memorable plot points won’t land in the same way as they did in the OG, hence why they aren’t doing the “Jaws” method of depicting Sephiroth in the Remake, but I don’t think they have said the twists themselves are going to be significantly different.
This is what I'm referring to
FXFt3FDWAAMxdLL

I am making the assumption that "the mystery of Nibelheim" is specifically related to Cloud's recollection of the event, but given he calls it the most important part of the original game I don't know what else it'd be. Cloud's identity crisis is the core of FF7, and we all already know the twist, as Nomura says. I think, much like just showing Sephiroth early, they're gonna play with "Cloud thinks he's Zack" more than they did before. We already had Hojo tell Cloud he wasn't a SOLDIER (even if Cloud didn't hear it we sure did), so I believe Cloud as the unreliable narrator will be emphasized more, pushed further by Zack's presence. I guess it won't change too much on the whole, at least in concept, but they know we know and it's going to be written as such.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Sure they said they are new mysteries and additions to the plot points but in the very same except Nomura say’s they aren’t changing the story entirely and making become something completely different. The summation of new mysteries without straying from the original is basically what the Remake has been doing so far.
Like how the Wall Market section of the Remake had many changes to it, but it was still following the basics premise of the original (i.e. Cloud dresses up as woman to get to Don Corneo’s). Various bits and parts of the “how” change, but the overall “what” is the same.
Stuff like that isn’t the same as completely changing the twists and plot.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
It comes down to how.much things can be pushed before it stops being ff7 to them. Given some of what they say in the remake ultimania I'm guessing that's further than you might think. There's a few indicators they were holding back on bigger changes in Remake.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
If they aren’t changing the axis/crux of the original story I don’t think those changes are really going to be that big. Like Aerith not dying for instance isn’t a change that doesn’t change the crux/axis of the story.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
I feel like that's the number one thing people are referencing when they talk about changes.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Basically, it’s just another reaffirmation that the Remake project will still be the FFVII story overall even with all the additions, changes, and new mysteries, it’s not going to be something completely different (and thus still follows from the events depicted in stuff like Crisis Core and other parts of the Compilation). And whatever mystery is being set-up in the Remake project will be resolved and understood by its end.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
It comes down to how.much things can be pushed before it stops being ff7 to them. Given some of what they say in the remake ultimania I'm guessing that's further than you might think. There's a few indicators they were holding back on bigger changes in Remake.

They specifically said that the Wallmarket changes were considered as the biggest changes from the original and it's the thing they weren't sure about until Remake was released.

Personally I feel that the Zack mystery is there to deepen the Nibelheim mystery and we're going to be like "OMG bastards!" when we play those parts and finally understand the context.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
So what was changed in R1 with Zack if not the past? Alt-timeline it is then?

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Basically, it’s just another reaffirmation that the Remake project will still be the FFVII story overall even with all the additions, changes, and new mysteries, it’s not going to be something completely different (and thus still follows from the events depicted in stuff like Crisis Core and other parts of the Compilation). And whatever mystery is being set-up in the Remake project will be resolved and understood by its end.

Was this in response to Wol? I think what Wol (and myself in another thread) are trying to get at is whether Nomura's response can clear up the circumstance around Zack's victory, not whether the project is or isn't "FFVII".

The interviewer asks if Reunion's ending will be different in light of Remake's ending. Nomura responds with "No, because history has not been changed". And it's like, okay, how literal can we take that haha.

Since Crisis Core Reunion is Remake's prequel (hence the updated Buster Sword), and it doesn't require modifications because "history has not been changed", then doesn't that place Zack's victory in another universe?

It'd just be nice to narrow down the many interpretations out there. I mean, I'm solidified in my interpretation, but I'm also aware that "Zack and the party are in the same timeline" is the most popular interpretation on this site.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wol

S.L.Kerrigan

Pro Adventurer
AKA
molosev
I'm trying to imagine that the Zack we are shown in the Remake is actually Cloud's representation of himself as Zack's memory has just been transferred into him by Jenova's capabilities. It would therefore be as Zack persona that Cloud would have joined Midgar, hence the choice to represent him in Zack's body and equipment. It would make sense for him to start by visiting Aerith at the church.
There would be no time travel, no alternate universes, just a faithful remake told with today's narrative/technical means.

Top Bottom