FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH ANNOUNCED

msia2k75

Pro Adventurer
Was this in response to Wol? I think what Wol (and myself in another thread) are trying to get at is whether Nomura's response can clear up the circumstance around Zack's victory, not whether the project is or isn't "FFVII".

The interviewer asks if Reunion's ending will be different in light of Remake's ending. Nomura responds with "No, because history has not been changed". And it's like, okay, how literal can we take that haha.

Since Crisis Core Reunion is Remake's prequel (hence the updated Buster Sword), and it doesn't require modifications because "history has not been changed", then doesn't that place Zack's victory in another universe?

It'd just be nice to narrow down the many interpretations out there. I mean, I'm solidified in my interpretation, but I'm also aware that "Zack and the party are in the same timeline" is the most popular interpretation on this site.

Yeah to me it's clear we have almost the confirmation that Zack survived in another timeline (or reality). It's even possible that the Biggs (and maybe Jessie) we saw at the end of Remake belongs to that particular timeline where Zack survives but no where Cloud & Co. are acting. This will have no incidence in the Cloud's timeline though. Zack is still dead there.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
I took the “history has not changed” bit to mean that Crisis Core is still Crisis Core and remains untouched by the story twists that specifically occur in the context of Remake. In-universe history from within Remake has changed, but the history of CC and the OG have not. Basically I’m not going to regard CCR as any more relevant to FF7R than I would the original CC…for now.

Lmao Yeah, I also like the grilling here—it's probably the most direct conversation that Nomura could have with the fanbase without actually talking to them. It includes the follow up too.

It's still funny to me, because I always stand by the fact that the Compilation itself beget a Remake of FF7, more so than time itself did. It felt natural that all the influx of new and expanding items for the FF7 world would insist another look at how the OG was told. I never wanted the Remake to simply be a shined up version of the OG—I thought it'd be implicit of the opportunity to address the same story but in the same innovation of which they approached the Compilation. -shrug- Either way, I'm enjoying it so far. I just love the boldness of the interviewer though, asking the real questions. hahaha
Nomura: We are of course aware that some people might think it better simply to leave the original as is and make the presentation more beautiful without changing anything else. However, if that had been the scope, I don't think we would have been able to invest as much in creating it as we have.

Literally what I’ve been saying!

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
They specifically said that the Wallmarket changes were considered as the biggest changes from the original and it's the thing they weren't sure about until Remake was released.
Toriyama also said that Wall Marjet should set a precedent for how things are handled when adapted from the original going forward.

Reactions: LNK

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Toriyama also said that Wall Marjet should set a precedent for how things are handled when adapted from the original going forward.

Yes and I do expect a lot of changes in Gold Saucer and Wutai specifically, maybe Costa del Sol too. Gold Saucer specifically because of what Don Corneo said about it, Wutai because it seems they have shifted its importance to the overall plot (versus Shinra especially), and Costa del Sol because if you want to add a touch of darkness, that's one of the best locations to do that.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
Wall Market’s an interesting example because you could say it almost represents the devs’ approach to the remake as a whole in that it’s a mix between some things being played straight, others expanded, others reinterpreted, but the main point is that it’s still there.

They’ve made it abundantly clear by now that they’re still telling the OG story, but I think the last chapter and the interviews show that they’re also willing to stretch the boundaries of what people think FF7 “is” (as if it’s anybody else’s place but the creators to decide that, but I’ll spare everyone that rant lol).

So between A. the fans who think Nomura took a massive dump all over their precious childhoods by infusing KH into the remake and throwing FF7 completely out the window, and B. the fans who are absolutely 100% certain that because the Whispers are totally gone spoiler alert: it’s gonna turn out they were some proto-version of the Weapons or something lol we can rest easy and know that our memories of the OG are safe from being corrupted by the Antichrist Nomura, it seems too much to ask of this fanbase to find a healthy medium between two extremes, but hey, thems the breaks. :loopy:

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Yeah Hojo in Costa del Sol would be super weird, especially since he's already dropped the hint about Cloud; I think that's why they did it that way, so he doesn't have to be in Costa del Sol.

But seriously, yes, if they want to darken up Costa del Sol, it's super easy. It's a holiday spot and we can easily add something like Leslie searching for his fiancée there (think about how dark it can turn up, she is in a prostitution scheme and needs to be rescued; I honestly only see there or the GS for that kind of quest).

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
It was also in before Crisis, when zirconiade was destroyed. Which is actually what I think was the explosion that happened in the zack scene, at the end of remake

jeangl123

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jean
shalua.gif
unknown.png

unknown.png

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I never played before crisis, so I wouldn't even care if it's not that. With SE including all of the compilation in this project, I wouldn't be surprised though. My theory is antagonists from each compilation entry will be included somehow

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Trying to do chapter breakdown now that we know some towns will likely be pushed to Part 3. Using this site's poll as our guide, let's say Rebirth will end at the Northern Crater since that's what most people think. I also like to be generous and will give each locale its own chapter.

Chapter 1 - Nibelheim Incident part 1
Chapter 2 - Nibelheim Incident part 2
Chapter 3 - Kalm / Badland
Chapter 4 - Chocobo Farm / Wetland
Chapter 5 - Mythril Mine
Chapter 6 - Under Junon / Polluted Coast
Chapter 7 - Junon
Chapter 8 - Cruise Liner
Chapter 9 - Costa del Sol / Vacation Coast
Chapter 10 - Mt Corel / North Corel
Chapter 11 - Gold Saucer
Chapter 12 - Desert Prison
Chapter 13 - Gongaga / Jungle
Chapter 14 - Cosmo Canyon / Cave of the Gi
Chapter 15 - Nibelheim / Shinra Manor
Chapter 16 - Mt Nibel
Chapter 17 - Rocket Town / Grassland
Chapter 18 - Gold Saucer revisited
Chapter 19 - Temple of the Ancients
Chapter 20 - Bone Village / Sleeping Forest
Chapter 21 - Forgotten City
Chapter 22 - Icicle Inn / Snowfields
Chapter 23 - Great Glacier
Chapter 24 - Gaea's Cliff
Chapter 25 - Northern Crater

Alright, 24-25 chapters (depending on how many we want to dedicate to the Nibelheim Incident). And this is without Fort Condor or Wutai. Not bad, but it's still 33% bigger than Remake (assuming chapters will have the same amount of content).

Let's consider the geography of VII's planet. Technically, Costa del Sol and the Gold Saucer are just hop, skip, and a jump away from each other. You can even travel between the two zones with the buggy in the original game. Is it wise to save North Corel, the Gold Saucer, and ultimately Barret's past for Part 3? I can't answer that, but I am looking for cuts, so out it goes.

Chapter 5 - Mythril Mine
Chapter 7 - Junon
Chapter 8 - Cruise Liner
Chapter 10 - Gongaga / Jungle
Chapter 11 - Cosmo Canyon / Cave of the Gi
Chapter 12 - Nibelheim / Shinra Manor
Chapter 13 - Mt Nibel
Chapter 14 - Rocket Town / Grassland
Chapter 15 - Gold Saucer
Chapter 16 - Temple of the Ancients
Chapter 17 - Bone Village / Sleeping Forest
Chapter 18 - Forgotten City
Chapter 19 - Icicle Inn / Snowfields
Chapter 20 - Great Glacier
Chapter 21 - Gaea's Cliff
Chapter 22 - Northern Crater

Looking better. Thinking some more, there's nothing essential about Gongaga in the party's journey. The only time the player is required to be there is when Cloud wakes up after the Temple of the Ancients. Let's just say the party pursues Sephiroth north while Cloud is knocked out instead. Additionally, there's potential to move the Keystone away from the Gold Saucer. Honestly the key could belong to anyone or be found anywhere. Have the player backtrack to a hidden area in the Mythril Mine or something, that place could see more use. EDIT: The only remaining issue is Cait Sith. Admittedly, that's a pretty big problem to have... Let's just say he joins on the Cruise Liner instead. He's an entertainer for the high class or something.

Chapter 5 - Mythril Mine
Chapter 7 - Junon
Chapter 8 - Cruise Liner
Chapter 10 - Cosmo Canyon / Cave of the Gi
Chapter 11 - Nibelheim / Shinra Manor
Chapter 12 - Mt Nibel
Chapter 13 - Rocket Town / Grassland
Chapter 14 - Temple of the Ancients
Chapter 15 - Bone Village / Sleeping Forest
Chapter 16 - Forgotten City
Chapter 17 - Icicle Inn / Snowfields
Chapter 18 - Great Glacier
Chapter 19 - Gaea's Cliff
Chapter 20 - Northern Crater

Sweet. 20 chapters. And this could even be brought down to 18 if you only dedicate one chapter to the Nibelheim Incident and combine the Great Glacier / Gaea's Cliff.

This pushes Fort Condor, North Corel, Gold Saucer, Gongaga, and Wutai to Part 3. And you know what? I think that's reasonable. If events were followed perfectly then Mideel, the underwater reactor, and the center of the planet would be the only new locations in Part 3 (again, assuming Rebirth goes up to the Northern Crater). Moving these locations to Part 3 ensures that the game will have plenty of new content alongside the revisits.

Exciting times!

Last edited:

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Gongaga and GS are not pushed in part 3. Gongaga because Aerith needs it to have confirmation of Zack’s feelings for her, and we already know from the trailer that the GS dates are happening.

Golden Ear

Pro Adventurer
AKA
M. Prod
Trying to do chapter breakdown now that we know some towns will likely be pushed to Part 3. Using this site's poll as our guide, let's say Rebirth will end at the Northern Crater since that's what most people think. I also like to be generous and will give each locale its own chapter.

Alright, 24-25 chapters (depending on how many we want to dedicate to the Nibelheim Incident). And this is without Fort Condor or Wutai. Not bad, but it's still 33% bigger than Remake (assuming chapters will have the same amount of content).

Let's consider the geography of VII's planet. Technically, Costa del Sol and the Gold Saucer are just hop, skip, and a jump away from each other. You can even travel between the two zones with the buggy in the original game. Is it wise to save North Corel, the Gold Saucer, and ultimately Barret's past for Part 3? I can't answer that, but I am looking for cuts, so out it goes.

Looking better. Thinking some more, there's nothing essential about Gongaga in the party's journey. The only time the player is required to be there is when Cloud wakes up after the Temple of the Ancients. Let's just say the party pursues Sephiroth north while Cloud is knocked out instead. Additionally, there's potential to move the Keystone away from the Gold Saucer. Honestly the key could belong to anyone or be found anywhere. Have the player backtrack to a hidden area in the Mythril Mine or something, that place could see more use. EDIT: The only remaining issue is Cait Sith. Admittedly, that's a pretty big problem to have... Let's just say he joins on the Cruise Liner instead. He's an entertainer for the high class or something.

Sweet. 20 chapters. And this could even be brought down to 18 if you only dedicate one chapter to the Nibelheim Incident and combine the Great Glacier / Gaea's Cliff.

This pushes Fort Condor, North Corel, Gold Saucer, Gongaga, and Wutai to Part 3. And you know what? I think that's reasonable. If events were followed perfectly then Mideel, the underwater reactor, and the center of the planet would be the only new locations in Part 3 (again, assuming Rebirth goes up to the Northern Crater). Moving these locations to Part 3 ensures that the game will have plenty of new content alongside the revisits.

Exciting times!

Great post and it I think it might even be beneficial to re-post this as an entire new thread on the forum so we can have a dedicated place to discuss this topic since it's so interesting to consider.

There is a lot of what you're suggesting which is in line of what I've been thinking.

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that Rebirth (and Part 3 for that matter) could potentially be roughly 30% bigger than Part 1. If Part 1 was 33Hrs average for Main Story alone, then I can see Rebirth potentially going past 40hrs or even up to 45 for Main Story alone. (Main story not including extras). In that case I think having Rebirth go past 20 chapter even up to 23-25 or so is reasonable. Nomura did say people will be surprised at how much they managed to do.

I have considered that Gold Saucer might only be visited in a single visit rather than two, having it after Rocket Town would make sense if they do choose this but I am still considering that we visit there in two instances. Personally I think the developers want to keep the main cast very much the same introduction wise as to what we remember from the OG (in terms of the party being introduced to them), so I still think the party will meet Cait Sith for the first time in the Gold Saucer probably even in the same square area. The real question is how will he join our party? Will he come in and out based on scripted story beats? How will the party react and feel about him tagging along, context that we never really fully got in the OG.

I've considered that Barret's Backstory might be moved to part 3 maybe when we are going to the North Corel railroad for the Huge Materia quest, but I admit I don't like it, really want him to meet Dyne in Rebirth but this is something we have to consider.

I think it's possible that we don't visit Gongaga between getting the buggy and Cosmo Canyon and they move it so we get there the first time after Temple of the Ancients when Cloud wakes up from handing Sephiroth the Black Materia at the bottom of the Temple indent after slapping around Aerith. One of the only reasons I find this beneficial is so we can just get further in acquiring Vincent and Cid sooner so we have more gameplay time with them.

It will be interesting to see how they handle what is normally the Tiny Bronco story section when we basically paddle around the planet. I know they don't want to cut anything out but at the same time it is hard to imagine they would create so much of the world around the edges of the continents as we go around the globe. I think it's possible they do some kind of streamline or cutscene where we travel to a specific location that will lead to either the Keystone or 2nd (or 1st) visit to the Gold Saucer.

Besides all of that, it's possible they shift things around after the Temple of the Ancients, maybe saving Bone Village for Part 3. Actually it was Max Dood who suggested on stream that they could re-arrange the Forgotten City so it comes after the Snow Sections so the snowboarding could come first. It could be this secret hidden magical forest that is devoid of snow that leads to the Capitol, basically make it so it way more hidden than just being off the coast of the OG.

Reactions: LNK

Eerie

Fire and Blood
That's a stretch. There's no reason why Aerith's line from the trailer HAS to be at the Gold Saucer date.
However, while I also believe more than just Fort Condor and Wutai will get moved to the third game, I can't imagine they would move Gold Saucer. That'd be outrageous.

Aerith's line is iconic of her GS date with Cloud. It is her talking to Cloud. It can't happen anywhere else. It's the moment she realises that she's still hung onto Zack and decides to move on. It's the only moment in FFVII where and when she can do this.

I will also point out that they went out of their way to add some GS-esque midnight rendez-vous in hommage to the GS dates in Remake, it's not to take it out. The GS dates can't happen in part 3 *because* Aerith needs to be part of them, period.

jeangl123

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jean

Exciting times!
You also have Crisis Core's locations. Banora has been teased quite a bit, but I don't really know what they'd do there. Maybe the underground?

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
I would certainly like to see what remains of Banora. Would it even be recognizable?

Also, where do we think that place is located?

Top Bottom