• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Final Fantasy VII: The First Soldier

Rose_of_Night

Pro Adventurer
I'm not too interested in the battle royal genre, and I get the feeling this will be dead in the water pretty fast since it can't compete with Fortnite. So uh, as to not repeat the mistakes of the past with Dirge's online mode, you preservationists out there are gonna want to jump on this fast lol.
I guess it'll be easier to extract the apk and data this time lol

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
FFVII goes through cycles of activity and then hibernation.

By the time the Compilation cycles all the way to fucking Z, the world will more than likely be boiled over and uninhabitable for human life :monster:

Sorta like the Edge of Creation.

So I give us up to K! :awesome:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Currently the number of posts for each thread covering today's announcements are:

Remake Intergrade: 162
Ever Crisis: 88
The First Soldier: 32

I think that's a pretty accurate gauge of interest haha.

I'm willing to give this a try. Maybe even squad up with some TLS'ers? First Soldier Saturdays anyone?

Last edited:

Chocobo Eater

Pro Adventurer
Maybe we'll see newborn Rufus considering this takes place exactly 30 years before VII.

Currently the number of posts for each thread covering today's announcements are:

Remake Intergrade: 162
Ever Crisis: 88
The First Soldier: 32

I think that's a pretty accurate gauge of interest haha.
The like-dislike ratio of the trailers on YouTube says it all, lol

Yup, this indeed looks like a suped up version of the Dirge of Cerberus online multiplayer.

I can't imagine this is intended for play on a normal-sized phone. The graphical detail and the tiny UI text indicates that this will only be reasonable to play on a tablet, so it has to be a "mobile tablet game" rather than a "mobile phone game". While I reckon they'll have the UI scale and re-arranged to work on a smaller phone I can only see this as being sub-optimal at best.

One of the challenges with launching any online shooter is that you essentially can't compete with the giants like Fortnite. You'll reach the maximum number of players in the first month and then it will gradually dwindle until the game is cancelled 1-2 years later and everybody has returned to play their Fortnites and Overwatches.

All this considered I can't help but see the logic in launching this as a mobile game, no matter how much I dislike mobile gaming. You can't hope to attract a large portion of the PC shooter gaming crowd, at least not initially, but at least you *might* get many Japanese players to play the game on their commute to- and from work. The hole in this logic is that if you require a large tablet for a decent gaming experience then it becomes way more cumbersome to play on the train than if you could easily do it on your normal-sized phone.

I wish I had played modern shooters on mobile devices so I could speculate on the controls because there surely are design tricks to make the experience serviceable on a touch pad. The shooter experience I want includes a keyboard and a mouse though.

Unless The First SOLDIER finds a way to stand out from other modern shooters I think this is dead on arrival. The teaser trailer fails to provide a good first impression: FFVIIR assets re-used and trimmed down while showing mostly standard shooter gameplay. It screams "bland and mostly uninteresting".

Free to play is a good choice so to not scare away potential players with a subscription cost (one of the multiple factors that acted to the detriment of the DoC online mode) but the reliance on in-app purchases for monetary gain also has its set of pitfalls.

In the best of worlds this game will find a way to be successful and then be ported to PC so that the shooter mechanics can be enjoyed to the fullest. But this teaser trailer is not enough for me to buy an iOS or Android tablet (or a new phone for that matter) just so I can play this game.

Placed the trailer under the microscope and observed the "System Log" windows show during the "Loading" sequence of the trailer. Turns out there are only three unique system logs and it's a mix of English, Engrish and Japanese.

system-log_a.png
battle slsystem start up​
loding complete​
secomnd shinra electric power company system start up​
drive power on special program kaishi​
kakutou yunit syageki yunit mahou unit on​
enemy syutugen purotokoru​
bom tomberi moruboru bahamuto siva karbankru​
mogguri ramuu odin​

system-log-b.png
drave ryu crystal final finish​
panda gun bible start yp plogram finarize​
on ok loading​
titan garuda ifurite www 108.883 jir​
1136.save​
gungnil eden rinn materiarize hime toa|| 55 max burleing​
battle action mama nevaea land king rave​
amkoku night​

system-log-c.png
ass sky gat banking sezany go on​
shpwing must bitive my self ride system barage daddy​
andryu kopy guide​
pt under the moonli night​
sirine material basick window sentaky​
summer vacation cast Id​
cosmosan tips playing winner loser​
resit​

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Using the Famitsu translations provided by Audrey...

-Can you give us a basic rundown of the battle rules? Is it along the lines of last man standing wins? Or are there team battles?

Nomura: There are solo and trio battles, and the winner is the last person or last team remaining.
I'm interpreting this as the maximum number of team participants being three. Makes me wonder if they'll even bother with implementing features like "Capture the Flag" and "Destroy/Capture Enemy Base". The Dirge of Cerberus online mode was flawed but at least it had a ton of team match options. I certainly hope they include Capture the Flag.

-Since this game is a Battle Royale type with RPG elements, there might be some out there who are worried about picking up the game as it might not be geared for gamers who are not used to that style. How did you go about making a balance for that?

Nomura: One of the fun parts of the Battle Royale game is leveling up by gathering items and subduing monsters, which are RPG elements we have added. This should allow for casual gamers to enjoy the battle game as well.
There better be some thought-out nuance to this leveling system. I have never played a Battle Royale so I don't know the typical design tropes, but there must be a way to let new players easily match up with other n00bs so that the spring chickens don't instantly get slaughtered by the elite and then give up on the game.

Fun fact: There are hints of a leveling system once having been planned for the online mode player character in Dirge, same as Vincent levels up, but ultimately it went unused in the multiplayer (thankfully). I'll write a post about it some day in the DCFFVII Research Thread.

Top Bottom